What types of villains should streetfighters fight?

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 07:51 am
Right. They steal tankers and freighters and hold the ships and crew for ransom. Haven't you read any papers for the last five years, or watched the news? Think Somalia.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:15 am
@MontereyJack,
No- NOT those types of pirates. THESE pirates hold sea-faring people for hostage and demand TREASURE.

Pirates are thieves - I am thinking of something they would want to steal or demand.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:25 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Pirates are thieves - I am thinking of something they would want to steal or demand.

What about identity theft, or copper cabling?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 09:41 am
@izzythepush,
They are pirate cats and dogs, and this will take place in a modern-day setting. What else would they steal?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:25 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Pirates. The bad sea-faring kind. Maybe they would steal fish from local fishermen and fishing fleets or hold people hostage and demand treasure, and the heroes go and fight them.

In the olden days, pirates would steal treasure from other ships.

The pirates could raid cruise ships, or commandeer other people's ships or sailing vessels. They could commandeer these ships or vessels to smuggle and transport their booty and/or steal cargo from them. That would work.

Or maybe they run a black market for (smuggled) nautical weaponry.

There could be samples of those unusual elemental mineral substances I mentioned earlier in this thread that they are after or have hidden somewhere, and they have to fight off certain people to get it.

These are villains my heroes could fight.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:34 am
What would pirates want with copper cabling?
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:36 am
@JGoldman10,
Some might consider it a modern treasure. Copper is often stolen from construction sites..or anywhere that isn't guarded properly due to the high cost and it's price as a commodity.

Modern pirates steal it.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:41 am
@JGoldman10,
I knew a pirate once.

Wait, that was me in a live production of Treasure Island.

Come to think of it, I did know a pirate for a while in a more Biblical sense. It was Halloween 1990 to St.Barnabas Day 1994. Should I tell you more?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:43 am
@Ragman,
What else do pirates steal?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:45 am
@JGoldman10,
Donuts. Pirates are very fond of donuts and rum. They really like their rum.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:46 am
@Sturgis,
I am serious- besides silver, gold, precious gems, and copper cabling what else would they consider valuable?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:51 am
@JGoldman10,
They're pirates and aside from material value of items, pirates are essentially just into taking. It doesn't necessarily have to be of great value, it's similar to any common thief, take they the things which aren't theirs. It's something of a power trip and male bonding all mixed together as near as I can tell.

A pirate will take your bandana or your waist scarf if he decided he wants it. Even a box of sawdust.
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 10:52 am
@JGoldman10,
penzance
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:03 am
@Sturgis,
Right- they are too lazy to buy stuff. Laughing

Ooh, look at that- not often I crack a funny.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2011 11:05 am
@JGoldman10,
Not lazy. Sailing around on those ships and working hard to keep alive. Occasionally finding a damsel and making her into a damsel in distress as they tie her to the mast.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 08:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

Pirates. The bad sea-faring kind. Maybe they would steal fish from local fishermen and fishing fleets or hold people hostage and demand treasure, and the heroes go and fight them.

In the olden days, pirates would steal treasure from other ships.

The pirates could raid cruise ships, or commandeer other people's ships or sailing vessels. They could commandeer these ships or vessels to smuggle and transport their booty and/or steal cargo from them. That would work.

Or maybe they run a black market for (smuggled) nautical weaponry.

There could be samples of those unusual elemental mineral substances I mentioned earlier in this thread that they are after or have hidden somewhere, and they have to fight off certain people to get it.

These are villains my heroes could fight.

The modern day pirates could also be descendants of some classical pirates who had their treasure buried in or near town, or on the town's coast, and the modern day pirates go on a quest to find and retrieve their ancestors' loot, and have no qualms about intimidating and terrorizing whoever stand in their way to get it.

When they raid other ships and vessels they can also either confiscate them (freight ships, naval and other military vessels, etc.} for the ships' weapons and navigational equipment or steal them off the ships.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 08:49 pm
Besides all of these types of villains I listed, there have to be at least one archvillain for the heroes to fight and a rogue's gallery - a group of regular baddies the heroes fight when they aren't fighting all of these other villains.

I have that also.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2011 11:04 pm
What do pirates do with the copper they steal? Do they melt it down into coins or forger weapons out of it? Or do they re-enforce existing weapons and tools with it?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 01:43 am
They're putting you on, Jason. Pirates don't steal copper. Thieves on land steal copper and sell it to unscrupulous scrap dealers who sell it to the copper industry for things like electrical wiring, because it's a good conductor, and we use a LOT of wire. Every few months you'l see a news story about particularly dim thieves who decide to go and steal copper from where there's a lot of it, like an electric power station, and don't shut the power off and end up electrocuting themselves, they in effect get the electric chair without having to go to all the fuss and bother of a trial.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2011 01:45 am
Pirates of a sort in the Caribbean (NOT the movie ones) sometimes steal people's pleasure boats or yachts (with the owners aboard or not) and use them to run drugs to the US>
0 Replies