A first able2know Meet in Australia?

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 09:06 pm
I just booked my second tour to Australia, and will be in Melbourne, Adelaide, Alice Springs, Cairns, Port Douglas, Cape Tribulation, and Sydney.

Any Ausie interested in getting together for a Meet? If so, here's my schedule:
Aug 6: Melbourne
Aug 7-8: Adelaide
Aug 9-10: Alice Springs
Aug 11: Uluru
Aug 12-13: Cairns (13 is full day at the Great Barrier Reef)
Aug 14-15: Cape Tribulation
Aug 16,17 & 18: Sydney

I'm free most evenings, and have "free" days on Aug 8, Aug 10, and Aug 18.

Please let me know.

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 12:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ah! You've chose the very best city to start your travels Oz from, ci!
And I'm not at all biased. Wink

http://www.sabrehq.com/destnations/melbourne.jpg

Though, if you're flying direct from the US (aghh!!!!) you'll be so jet-lagged on your arrival, you won't know where you are! Wink

I'm thinking, as there aren't all that many of us Oz A2Kers, & we're spread far & wide over a big country, an Oz "meet" might be a bit optimistic.

As a person who lives at your first brief city of call, I already know that I'll be caught up with an important prior engagement that day ... for quite a few days around that time, actually.

However, if there's any way I can be of assistance ... information, etc. ... please just ask, OK?
I'll be more than happy to oblige.

I'll be really interested to hear about your impressions of your travels in Oz.

dlowan

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 03:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
August 7th is my birthday, so I will be out that night.

What day of the week is the 8th?

I am at work all day on any weekday and my finish times are pretty unpredictable.

If you tell me your interests, though, I will be happy to advise you of ideas for Adelaide if you need them.

You have allowed so little time for every leg of your trip that you won't be able to get any real sense of anywhere you go, really, so I imagine you just want the mega touristy spots?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 03:41 am
@msolga,
msolga, I'm one of those strange humans who doesn't suffer jet lag; I'm usually back to normal after the first night.

When I posted this thread, I had some inkling about the small number of a2k members in the land down under, but thought I'd give it a shot anywhos.

When people visit Northern California, I usually try to get a small group together for a Meet. Some of the Meets in San Francisco were quite successful with people coming from Canada, Boston, San Diego, Colorado, and Paris. Had some smaller ones when people visited from Chicago, Manchester (England), and the last one from Lippstadt Germany, Walter and Ulla (were here last month).

I also tell people to let me know when they plan a visit to Northern California, and I try to show them around in addition to having them meet a few a2k members living in this area. They're usually fun affairs.

I've also participated at a2k meets in London, Lippstadt, Chicago, and Austin. Met farmerman and Thomas in Philadelphia when my wife and I visit there a few years ago, and we met for dinner.

What I find amazing about meeting a2k members are that all are "above average" in every way - even if we disagree on some threads.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 03:51 am
@dlowan,
dlowan, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, lest I forget.

This trip to Australia is a organized group tour with Overseas Adventure Travel out of Boston. On August 7, we will be hosted at a private home for dinner, but August 8 is a "leisure" day - meaning we are on our own for the whole day.

We will also have leisure days on August 10 at Alice Springs, and on August 18 in Sydney.

Most evenings are also "leisure" times, so I was hoping that some could Meet for dinner and drinks.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, those US & other meets sounded really good, ci.
I loved reading about them.

I've gotta say, though, that's a very busy itinerary you've got for your Oz trip!
You'll be covering an incredible amount of territory in a very short time! Wow.
That's lightning fast !
On the (less than) one day you'll be in my city I'll be spending my day (& a few days before) as a helper-outer cook, general dogs body, at a friend's daughter's wedding get-together.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:04 pm
@msolga,
Yes, it's "lightening fast," but that's the best way to see new places for the first time. We usually see most of the important sites at each location, and get to know a little about the place from the organized meetings with locals - sometimes college students - and we are usually hosted at a private home for snacks or a meal. Sometimes, we stay overnight at the host's home for one night.

If a destination is worth a return trip, I usually do so. It can be another organized tour or an independent trip.

For example, I visited Poland in 1994, and will return to Poland in November to see the changes in Warsaw and Krakow. I'm also going to visit Auschwitz on this trip, because I skipped it in 1994.

I've visited over 160 countries with many repeats to such places as China, England, Vietnam, Thailand, India, Greece, Spain, Turkey, Italy, Germany, and Scandinavia.

I'm looking forward to having a seafood dinner at Darling Harbor with some good Australian red wine. I did the bridge climb on my first visit to Australia, so I'll skip that adventure on this trip. Smile
msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You're going to be a very tired man when this Oz trip is over, ci!
No, probably considerably earlier than that! Wink
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:11 pm
@msolga,
I'm an active 75 year old man with relatively good health. On vacation, I walk a great deal to mix with the people, to stop at restaurants or bars along the way, and hopefully to meet locals. I've been known to get lost during my walks, and have taken taxis back to the hotel. That happened to me on one of my early independent trips to Bangkok. I find that to be part of the adventure.
ragnel

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 12:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
I would love to do the honours on your Sydney leg, but I'm a ninety minute drive north of the city and am stuck at home with my oxygen for company.
Enjoy Darling Harbour - there are so many great seafood places in and around Sydney it would be hard for you to go wrong.
dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 12:29 am
@ragnel,
Lol! Darling Harbour is my vision of hell!

I'd walk around The Rocks before going within cooee of that place.

Very sorry to hear of your health, Ragnel.

Where in Adelaide is your tour taking you CI?

And how will you get around on your free day?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 11:30 am
@ragnel,
Hi ranel, Sorry about your health issues that will keep you home-bound. On my first visit to Sydney, The Dean of NYC University and his wife invited me to join them to Darlene Harbor for dinner, and I still remember that event as one of the "best" meals I've had in Australia. I'm sure the bottle of Australian red wine helped. Smile That's the reason I'm going back there for another meal - to see if the standards have remained consistent over the years. I'll also visit Chinatown - where I purchased several cans of abalone that I lugged home, because they were selling at such good prices.

Will also probably do the tower and a cruise. As I recall, they were on sale as a combo price.

I won't have to buy any opals, because I bought one for my wife, but she never wore it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 11:37 am
@dlowan,
This is a cut and paste from the itinerary.
Quote:
. After arrival, we enjoy a visit to Cleland Wildlife Park, then a tour of the sights of Adelaide, a city of wonderful views enhanced by its setting between green hills and the waters of the Gulf of St. Vincent. Named for Queen Adelaide, the wife of the British King William IV, the city was settled around 1836 by free people and not by convicts-as was so much of Australia. Adelaide was one of the first planned cities of the time, designed by Colonel William Light in a neat grid pattern interspersed with Squares. That grid pattern still holds making the streets of Adelaide's central district well defined and easy to navigate.

We have a lovely view of Adelaide from Light's Vision, the site of a statue erected in honor of Colonel William Light, the city's designer. Then it is on to North Terrace, a cultural center with galleries, museums, and the Botanic Gardens.

The next day is on our own or they provide an optional tour to Kangaroo Island ($215). I usually like to walk around on my own to become familiar with a city I visit, so that's what I was thinking, but you may change my mind if you think a visit to Kangaroo Island is worth the time and cost.

Since I got a very good bargain for this trip, spending a little more is acceptable for my budget.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
ragnel

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 08:48 pm
@dlowan,
Deb, to be honest I have (purposely) never been to Darling Harbour, so I can't pass judgment, (apart from commenting that I thought the morals behind its development were disgusting). However, I have heard there is excellent seafood to be found there.

Though I've been out of the Sydney 'scene' for a few years now, Doyles were always considered the best for seafood - located
a) on the beach at Watson's Bay,
b) on the wharf at Watson's Bay, and
c) at the Sydney fish markets.

Where's Dutchy? He would also be a good source of advice for the Adelaide leg.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 08:59 pm
@ragnel,
Dutchy's over on the European cities thread, or was. I'll pm him..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Kangaroo Island is very lovely.....but I suspect you'd just get bussed around and let out for a photo or two, and bussed on to the next place. Personally I would hate that...the beauties are very subtle and I think you need lots of time to walk around and soak things up. But I think you like to travel in a different way from the way I like to.

If you had transport, I would suggest visiting the Southern Vales wineries, with lunch either at the Salopian Inn or the Star of Greece.

http://www.winediva.com.au/regions/mclaren-vale.asp

http://mvbeer.com/the-salopian-inn.html

http://yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/salopian_inn/

http://starofgreececafe.com.au/

(Though I note there seems to be a sense that this once wonderful place is not as good...there's a fish and chip shop to the side of it, though)

The Salopian is nestled in the vineyards, the Star of Greece overlooks the beautiful Willunga beach (my favourite) and you could walk miles of bach after lunch.

If you are relying on public transport, I'd suggest visiting Henley beach, having a lingering lunch at Estia restaurant and then walking on the beach to Grange Jetty.

http://www.estia.com.au/
dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:24 pm
@dlowan,
Oh, in the short time you have, I note some folk really like the suburbs with lots of older houses...you can have a nice stroll around places like Norwood, Unley, Dulwich, Rose Park, St Peters, the back streets of the Adelaide square mile.

Norwood and Unley especially have lots of nice coffee shops and eateries...mainly on Norwood parade and Unley Road or King William Road.

The Adelaide Central Market is fun...I think it is closed on Monday, but the best coffee in Adelaide served at Lucia's, which will be open....and there is great Malaysian food at the Asian Gourmet Cafe which will also be open. There are also good Chinese restaurants there....Ky Chow is my favourite....but a stroll down Gouger Street near the market will show you lots of different places.

Dutchy

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:46 pm
@ragnel,
I think dlowan has covered Adelaide and surroundings perfectly ragnel.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 09:55 pm
@dlowan,
Greatly appreciate your recommendations. Have made hard copies to take along with me, and have emailed a company in Adelaide that provides wine tours. It's a good start, thanks to you!

I may also consider an attempt to recruit a couple to join me for the day, so we can rent a car, and visit most of those places you have recommended.

Muchos gracias.
fobvius

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 10:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Welcome and congratulations on your decision to visit again.

If you post your Sydney itinerary I'll see if I can sex it up a bit.

Like a walk from Circular Quay up Macquarie Street past the oldest colonial buildings , State parliament, then left to the Art Gallery and around the foreshore and Opera House before cutting through the Botanic Gardens towards the CBD and turning to the Rocks having passed some of the best hotels and restaurants along the way.

It was a long lunch.