A first able2know Meet in Australia?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 11:23 pm
@ragnel,
Thank you! I'm one of those unusual and strange travelers who has never been disappointed in any of my journeys. I remember some longer and with more affection than others, but each has their own attractions and fascinations. I've been very lucky to travel the world almost at will, and hope to continue as long as my $$$ and health allows.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Poisons industry, heh! Well, well, well; one of the warnings for Australia was getting our drinks spiked with something. he he he...

I don't think you'd get your drink spiked with this drug, c.i. - but you never know!

I still have some items from the launch conference: a terry towelling dressing gown with a big red V on the pocket; and a cap - also displaying the big red V and the company name on the back! The V branded knickers went by the board some time ago!

fobvius

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 11:39 pm
@margo,
Speaking of the Shangri-la Hotel you should go to their blu bar if you want to check out Sydney views for free.

http://www.shangri-la.com/uploadedImages/property/Sydney/dining/restaurants/gen_slh_lounge_winebar.jpg

I'd book a guide from your hotel and walk around town on the day at leisure especially to places that aren't mentioned in your itinerary but are nonetheless in my previous post especially Macquarie Street past the State Library and Parliament around to the Art Gallery then though the Botanic Gardens.

The finest dining is of course, 'you beauty', all in the eye of the beholder.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:13 am
@fobvius,
Thank you! I made a hard copy of the hotel, and you can be sure I'll be there at least once to enjoy a drink or two.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
bm to have easy access when I'm in Australia.
margo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 01:42 am
@cicerone imposter,
I should be free on the Tuesday night - my relative has settled a bit, and it's between two trips to Bathurst - a fairly unattractive town!
Whereabouts in Sydney are you staying - somewhere in the Rocks?

One thing I should add - you'll probably find Oz pretty expensive. this relates more to the economy - ours is booming, while the US is..........not! I can recall a few years ago, when the Oz dollar was worth US .60c - a visiting friend raved about how cheap things were. That ain't the case now, I'm afraid.
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 01:49 am
@margo,
Oz dollar has risen to $US1.10 today.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 02:08 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Oz dollar has risen to $US1.10 today.

My brother spent 2 weeks in Oz four months ago, and he said it was not cheap. He had a great time though..he spent a week of it house boating.
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 02:27 am
@hawkeye10,
Which parts of Oz did he visit?

No, it definitely is not cheap at the moment.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 02:56 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Which parts of Oz did he visit?
Sydney and Victor Harbor (Adelaide) He did the house boating on the Murray River and its tributaries.
msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 03:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Sounds like a good mix of city & country.
And it's good he didn't attempt to take in "everything" in the time he was here.
Apart from being extremely expensive, you just don't get the feel of a (big) country when you travel like that.
Better, I reckon, to limit the amount of ground covered & experience a much smaller number of places in more depth.
(A lesson I learned as a result of my very first experience of o/seas travel, with a Eurail (sp?) ticket ... I think I became more of an expert on trains & boats than any place I (briefly) visited in my lightning tour! Wink )
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 11:09 am
@msolga,
Well, I did meet and had dinner with margo; it was not a total failure.
Mr. Green
0 Replies