would we want to live for ever?

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:30 pm
after a while, life would be boring.
what do you think?
(im saying, live for ever as in, preserved as young.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,368 • Replies: 43
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 05:25 pm
@hamilton,
Forever? Even after our sun novas? No, thanks.
Actually, I'd like to live til I no longer want to live. The best way to die is by suicide.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 06:09 pm
@hamilton,
Since the philosophically "correct" answer to this is supposed to be "no". I'll say, "Yes". Just to be obstinate.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:17 pm
I don't recall if I posted here before. Of course I want to live forever. That would make me a good Christian if I were a believer.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, please reconsider: Forever is grotesque. Please change your wish to "die when I want." You make me worry for you.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:46 pm
@JLNobody,
I beg you to reconsider. If it were possible for me to live forever, the rules of living would be broken. In other words, if I could live forever, it would require health to do so, or at least health would be as possible a scenario as any other in an altered reality.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
The "rules" would certainly have to be different. In THIS reality we are inherently MORTAL, it is our nature to die; it has, in principle, little to do with illness. One might say that the absolutely and perpetually healthy person would have to eventually die at least from his mortality.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:35 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
The "rules" would certainly have to be different.
In THIS reality we are inherently MORTAL, it is our nature to die;
That is an idle superstition. It is alien to our nature to die.

David
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 07:17 am
@hamilton,
This was similarly approached in a thread asking about a thousand year life by BBB a little past a week ago. www.able2know.org/topic/173315-1
in which BBB herself started the thread "Have you wished to live for 1000 years so you could learn how things turn out? She stated she often has wishered to live forever to learn how things will turn out in the universe.

Later I said I was aiming for 70 and I was scolded and told to "gain circumspection" since BBB is 80+. Yeah, well she can live however long she wants, I will be happy with 70, I said it there and I say it now, I have no desire to live for this imaginary forever.
0 Replies

PhoebeKate

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 08:22 am
@hamilton,
I wouldn't. It will be tedious. I'm okay with seeing my grandkids have their own kids and go quietly my own way.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 09:05 am

Thru out the world, capital punishment is considered the most SEVERE
possible punishment, even worse than torture.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 09:20 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If it is "alien" to our nature to die, where is everybody who died? Where did they go? Are you talking about immortal souls in mortal bodies? Are you talking about some otherworld?
Imagine if noone did die, the overpopulation problem. Hell, we're having that problem even with our mortality.
Your science fiction is poorly written.
Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 09:53 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:
would we want to live for ever?

To answer that, I would need more information about the quality of life I'd be having. Even at my current level of mortality, I can imagine a quality-of-life threshold below which I wouldn't be interested in living. But as long as I stay above that threshold, I don't see why I wouldn't want to live forever. To me it's about quality of life, not quantity of life.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 10:07 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Imagine if noone did die, the overpopulation problem. Hell, we're having that problem even with our mortality.
Immortality as you put it, that is, human beings not dying, would obviously require some kind of super-natural force at work which would change things imprevisibly. I doubt over-population would be a problem.

I dont think I have a choice. I will live forever regardless of whenever I want to or not. Off course, im not saying that this body of mine will last forever, but that I dont believe that the consciousness can end. When I die, I will continue to exist in another form. I have no idea of what that would be, I only know it will happen.

Within our know world, living for very long isnt all that impossible though... im young, and technology is advancing quickly... by the time I am an old man, maybe we will already have the technology needed to extend our lives indefinitely. Eventually an accident or disaster will kill me though.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 11:55 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
If it is "alien" to our nature to die, where is everybody who died?
No one has "died".
Where r all the lobsters who have molted off their exoskeletons ?
Where r all the butterflys who have abandoned their caterpillars & coccoons ?

U confuse your LIFE with the meat & bones that u r wearing.

JLNobody wrote:
Where did they go? Are you talking about immortal souls in mortal bodies? Are you talking about some otherworld?
JLNobody

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 10:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Perhaps MY science fiction is written worse than yours but I do not identify with my body. I identify with the entirety of Nature; I'm just one on-going (f0r a while) expression of it. But the life I am living now is lived by my body (including its brain). When that body is destroyed all there will be left of me is Nature (the Nature that I ultimately identify with now). By the way, not to gross you out but that Nature includes YOU (and all lobsters and butterflies).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 03:05 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
Perhaps MY science fiction is written worse than yours but I do not identify with my body.
That is fiction.
If u did not identify with your body, then u'd not be thinking of death.

JLNobody wrote:
I identify with the entirety of Nature; I'm just one on-going (f0r a while) expression of it.
But the life I am living now is lived by my body (including its brain).
U r only wearing it.

JLNobody

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Many people agree with you that you, viz. your ego, is like an homunculus worn by your body.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:53 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

after a while, life would be boring.
what do you think?
(im saying, live for ever as in, preserved as young.)

This question is one reason why I don't believe in an after life. I can not imagine what you would do for eternity to keep yourself entertained. Either I lack the imagination or there just are not enough things you could possibly do to prevent yourself from going absolutely insane. No matter how you twist the idea into something where you would never be bored and there would always be something to do, I just don't think the person who makes that claim as ever actually thought about what that implies.

So my answer is, No. I would not want to live for ever. I think living for ever would cheapen the things that actually have value. I think the longest I could live for without going crazy would be roughly about a thousand years give or take a hundred. That would be pushing it and beyond that would just be absurd.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 09:43 pm
Not wanting to live forever is no reason to not believe in afterlife =)

It would be like believing in god because you do not want to believe that you are alone (which is something a lot of people do, actually).