Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 11:09 am
@Letty,
Walt Kelly was one of my top favorite cartoonists.
Ragman

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2012 01:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah! Pogo's creeator. Gotch'ya
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 05:22 am
“There never can be a man so lost as one who is lost in the vast and intricate corridors of his own lonely mind, where none may reach and none may save.”
― Isaac Asimov, Pebble in the Sky
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 08:35 pm
“And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual. This is what I am and what I am about.” ― John Steinbeck, East of Eden
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:04 am
“No flying machine will ever fly from New York to Paris ... [because] no known motor can run at the requisite speed for four days without stopping.”
Orville Wright

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 07:01 am
The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting.
~ Milan Kundera
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 02:12 pm
“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
― Edgar Allan Poe
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 02:31 pm
"Take away the right to say '****', and you take away the right to say '**** the government'."

Lenny Bruce
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 03:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual. This is what I am and what I am about.” ― John Steinbeck, East of Eden

Now I know why I gave up on Steinbeck after a few pages.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 03:08 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Now I know why I gave up on Steinbeck after a few pages.

More's the pity that you did. But it does help to explain some of your narrow-mindedness.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 03:14 pm
Anybody don't like Steinbeck, I pity.
spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 03:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
You and Andrei are pissing into the wind. Anybody who pens the affectation quoted takes himself far too seriously to be a proper writer.

Who wants anarchy? You both don't I'm sure.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 03:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
But it does help to explain some of your narrow-mindedness

That means nothing Andrei because you are defining narrow-mindedness.
spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 04:00 pm
@spendius,
"Ignorance is degrading when found in company with riches."

Schopenhauer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 04:06 pm
Steinbeck was responsible for much more than that quote. The body of his work speaks for itself.
Letty

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us. John Steinbeck.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected.

Did he fight for that ed? Nobody who writes that sort of subversive drivel is worth reading. I bet you would be on to the cops if somebody's direction of mind took him to mowing his lawn three times a day with a noisy mower next door to your patch of ground.

When did he fight? He used that word in a manner I don't approve of.
spendius

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know who fights for freedom.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:23 pm
"Strive to value everyone equally. It is an idea, a motivation for a better world that doesn't require blood; it requires the hard work of people and the nurturing of a community spirit; a constant growing of peace and it starts within each human heart."
--Mairead Maguire, 1976 Nobel Peace Prize laureate
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2012 05:38 pm
@spendius,
Mr. Green Your brain likely buzzes around in your skull like a lonely fly, seeking an out.
0 Replies