Your Quote of the Day

eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:28 pm
There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it,
but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?
Richard Dawkins
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:43 pm
I know little of women. But I've heard dread tales.

HAROLD PINTER, Moonlight

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 07:08 pm
“It's so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.”
― John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 09:16 pm
“The crimes of the U.S. throughout the world have been systematic, constant, clinical, remorseless, and fully documented but nobody talks about them.”

― Harold Pinter
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 09:16 pm
“The invasion of Iraq was a bandit act, an act of
blatant state terrorism, demonstrating absolute
contempt for the concept of international law.”
― Harold Pinter
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:32 am
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

0 Replies

Strauss

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 05:49 am
- Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. -

Oscar Wilde
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 11:38 am
"It has been seen that when a certain case is in court, the media starts a parallel trial, which is not good.... Let the court first decide on a matter, then the media can criticise."
--Judge Soli Sorabjee, Supreme Court of India
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 11:48 am

ShitMyDadSays

‎"No. Politicians don't wanna scare you, they wanna keep you stupid. Fear is just the smell when ignorance takes a ****."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 08:01 am
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.
Bertrand Russell
spendius

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 08:31 am
@edgarblythe,
If a stupid man's report is that what a clever man had said was bullshit it is a matter of opinion whether it is accurate or not.

Mr Russell, being a clever man who constantly felt he was misreported, is praising himself and suggesting that other clever men can use his elitist remark to disarm any opposition they encounter. Or, at least, imagine that they have.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 10:47 am
@spendius,
Well, Mr spendy - You wouldn't be a tad biased now would you?
spendius

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 10:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Not in the least Ed? What did I say to suggest such a thing?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 11:02 am
@spendius,
I know your history of despising the sort of man that was B Russell.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 03:31 pm
Liberty and Freedom and Worship---there is a super-abundance of all three in this U.S.A under the law. The only people who are not being meted out full portions are the colored folks.

W C Fields
msolga

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 01:18 am
My mother used to say that there are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet. She's now in a maximum security twilight home in Australia.
~ Dame Edna Everage
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 03:59 am
@edgarblythe,
I wouldn't say that I despised The Right Honourable The Earl Russell, OM, FRS. I have two or three of his books, Outline and History I can see from here.

I thought he was a bit of an idiot and he had a deserved reputation for being what some ladies call a shagger.

I am totally opposed to nuclear disarmament. I want any major war to kill those who start it and nuclear weapons are the best guarantee of that.

It is far better that leaders spectacularly announce, under pressure from their family, that they affirm their approval of same sex marriage than that they set in motion large numbers of soldiers, sailors and airmen to fight in the fields, seas and skies far away from their office. Mutually assured destruction is very comforting.

Do you not agree Ed?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 04:09 am
@edgarblythe,
The word "meted" sounds like W.C. was not keen on Liberty, Freedom and Worship. Neither am I.

I have his book W.C. Fields for President.A pal of mine uses his photo for an avatar.

"Never smarten up a chump."
spendius

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 07:58 am
@spendius,
"The difference between being a member of the Senate and a member of the House is the difference between chicken salad and chicken ****."

Lyndon Johnson.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 May, 2012 08:16 am
My opinion of Russell is not so exalted as in decades previous, but I still revere him. I am not so much in favor of disarmament as the enlightenment which outlaws all war for real, not just in treaties. Russell's reasoning as to why be an atheist did not wholly jive with my own, but my memory is blotchy after so long a time away from reading him. I did not like that he took credit for the peace symbol when another designed it.
0 Replies