Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 08:22 am
I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance that I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
Henry David Thoreau
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:10 am
@edgarblythe,
"“Maybe stories are just data with a soul.”"

Brené Brown: The power of vulnerability
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:54 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power.

Eric Hoffer
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:15 pm
“I say one thing, you write another, and those who read you understand still something else! I say: cross, death, kingdom of heaven, God...and what do you understand? Each of you attaches his own suffering, interests and desires to each of these sacred words, and my words disappear, my soul is lost. I can't stand it any longer!”
― Nikos Kazantzakis, The Last Temptation of Christ
Philippos

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 10:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
That movie can really mess with people's heads.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 03:41 am
@Philippos,
It's a novel first and foremost. There's a brilliant museum dedicated to him on Crete. If I remember correctly, he was excommunicated twice, once for the book, and once for the film.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 07:23 am
There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Mafia.
~ Kurt Vonnegut
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 08:53 am
@Philippos,
The movie made hash of the novel. I had to quit watching midway through it.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 10:21 am
@edgarblythe,
If you ask a Cretan about him, the first thing they'll mention is Zorba the Greek.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 11:23 am
@izzythepush,
There are similarities between absolute power and absolute faith: a demand for absolute obedience, a readiness to attempt the impossible, a bias for simple solutionsto cut the knot rather than unravel it, the viewing of compromise as surrender. Both absolute power and absolute faith are instruments of dehumanization. Hence, absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power.

Eric Hoffer, The New York Times Magazine, April 25, 1971
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:04 pm
@izzythepush,
I love both equally.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I read Hoffer's The True Believer, back about 1963, if my memory is anywhere near to accurate.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
The museum really does give a feel of him, and why he is held in such high regard by the Cretans.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:19 pm
@izzythepush,
I am not that familiar with the museum and such tributes to the man.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum pays tribute to the important intellectual, author, thinker, philosopher, politician and traveller Nikos Kazantzakis.

The Museum is made up of a cluster of buildings in the central square of the historical village of Varvari, now known as Myrtia. The Museum Exhibition is housed on a site formerly occupied by the home of the Anemoyiannis family, which was related to Nikos Kazantzakis' father, Kapetan Michalis.

The Museum was founded by set and costume designer Yiorgos Anemoyiannis, a pioneering figure in Greek theatre. His fundamental aim was to preserve the author's memory and promote his work and thought. Significant assistance was offered by Eleni Kazantzaki, the author's second wife.

The Museum holds manuscripts and notes by the author; samples of his correspondence with major thinkers, politicians and authors of his time; first editions of his works in Greek and other languages; rare photographic material; souvenirs from his travels; personal effects; models, costumes and other material from theatre productions of his works in Greece and abroad; portraits and sculptures of the author; dozens of foreign-language editions of his works from all over the world, all a legacy that brings alive the memory of Nikos Kazatzakis and promotes his work and personality.

The Nikos Kazantzakis Museum has quite literally become a site of worldwide intellectual pilgrimage. Every day, visitors arrive from all four corners of the globe, bearing witness to the lasting relevancy of the word expressed by the great Cretan, universal author and thinker.

http://www.kazantzakis-museum.gr/index.php?level=1&lang=en
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
It is probably true that business corrupts everything it touches. It corrupts politics, sports, literature, art, labor unions and so on. but business also corrupts and undermines monolithic totalitarianism. Capitalism is at its liberating best in a noncapitalist environment.

Eric Hoffer, The New York Times Magazine
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:28 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
All formal dogmatic religions are fallacious and must never be accepted by self-respecting persons as final.

Hypatia of Alexandria
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:35 pm
@izzythepush,
I have a copy of Last Temptation that I have not opened in about ten years. But the tale is burned into my memory, so, no need to refresh. Zorba - I watched the movie about three times, but I have not read it. I feel the need to do so now.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 12:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
I am a pious apostate, an atheist shocked by the faithlessness of the believers, a fellow traveler of moderate Catholicism who has been out of the church for 20 years."

Michael Harrington
In 1978 the Christian Century quoted him
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2012 08:06 pm
"Like" this if you want every aspect of your life and online activity to go instantly to facebook.