Your Quote of the Day

Ben Smith

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 01:37 pm
@msolga,
If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion.
George Bernard Shaw
Ben Smith

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 01:40 pm
@Ben Smith,
No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.
George Bernard Shaw
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 02:24 pm
@Ben Smith,
Ben Smith wrote:
If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion.
George Bernard Shaw

If all the girls who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end,
I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
~Dorothy Parker
ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 03:17 pm
@msolga,
That's a saver, Olga.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 03:19 pm
@msolga,
We've had a thread or two about that..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 03:21 pm
@George,
And bless Dorothy Parker's heart. (I read a lot about her a long time ago, but I forget. The wit remains.)
George

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2011 06:34 pm
@ossobuco,
> The wit remains
Sure does. I can't hear the word "horticulture" without thinking of her.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:24 pm
In America all too few blows are struck into flesh. We kill the spirit here, we are experts at that. We use psychic bullets and kill each other cell by cell.
Norman Mailer
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:49 am
"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'"
~ Kurt Vonnegut
(again. Gosh I miss him!)
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 10:45 am
@msolga,
Quote:
There's only one country on the planet. One democratic nation which has a respectable turnout at their elections. It's Australia. They have 100% vote in Australia....

Well in Australia, it's illegal not to vote. That is brilliant. Who'd think they'd be capable of that kind of thinking down there. It must be all the blood rushing to their heads.... I'm not a scientist but they are upside down.... That's a science fact.

John Oliver, John Oliver's New York Stand-Up Show (2010)
msolga

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:47 am
@tsarstepan,
But it works, tsar!
It gets people to the polling booths on election days!
So what if some only do it because they don't want to be fined? Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 08:29 am
Example moves the world more than doctrine. The great exemplars are the poets of action, and it makes little difference whether they be forces for good or forces for evil.
Henry Miller

Ben Smith

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 09:47 am
@edgarblythe,
It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Charles Darwin
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:58 am
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusions is deep.
~ Saul Bellow
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 06:10 am
@msolga,
I concur MsOlga. I wish they bring mandatory voting and a paid voting holiday here to the US. But corporations will cry pain against the practice of paying for their employee's day off. And heaven help us if we bring a minor inconvenience to our corporations' collective trillion dollar profit margin.
msolga

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 06:28 am
@tsarstepan,
Our (federal, state & local council) elections all happen on Saturdays, tsar.
So most people can easily attend a polling station - open from around 8 am to 5 pm. (they're all over the place in the city, generally in school halls, church & local halls, etc. It's about a ten minute walk to get to my nearest one.)
Same in the country areas: local halls, schools, etc become polling booths for the day.
Those who can't attend (for legitimate reasons) can arrange to cast an absentee vote beforehand.
It's all pretty easily done, really. No big hassle.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 02:18 pm
Men do not accept their prophets and slay them, but they love their martyrs and worship those whom they have tortured to death.
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Ben Smith

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
If it weren't for pickpockets, I'd have no sex life at all.
Rodney Dangerfield
Ben Smith

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2011 04:27 pm
@Ben Smith,
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.
Peter OToole
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:37 am
If we take matrimony at it's lowest, we regard it as a sort of friendship recognised by the police.
Robert Louis Stevenson

0 Replies