Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2024 10:29 am
1. The original title of Fahrenheit 451 was The Fireman
2. Bradbury also wrote the 1956 screenplay for Moby Dick
3. Don Quixote is the best-selling novel of all time, with over 500 million copies sold.
4. Edgar Allan Poe originally wanted a parrot to repeat the word “nevermore.”
5. The first publisher willing to print copies of Lolita was Olympia Press.
6. Charles Dickens believed in the supernatural, and he belonged to something called The Ghost Club.
7. The protagonist in C.S. Lewis’ science fiction trilogy was modeled after his friend and fellow author J.R.R. Tolkien.
8. John Steinbeck’s original manuscript for Of Mice and Men was eaten by a dog.
9. Anna Karenina is over 800 pages long, but it was originally published in serialized form.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2024 01:31 pm
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery & all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered"
Babe Ruth
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Oct, 2024 10:34 pm
We should forgive our enemies but not before they are hanged.
Heinrich Heine
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2024 08:46 am
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet, and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ Kahlil Gibran
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2024 08:51 am
"For three days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." ~ Johnny Carson
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Oct, 2024 07:33 pm
Cohen was a brilliant writer. I didn't always understand him.

“Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.”
Leonard Cohen
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2024 06:10 am
"Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have." --Steven Wright
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2024 07:50 am
Kim Iversen 🇺🇸
KimIversenShow
·
I’m always confused when people talk about immigrants leaching off the system. What is there to leach? What are we all getting? Am I missing something because I’d like to get something if there’s something to get.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2024 09:08 am
The Texas quote of the day is a good one. It was written in 1932 by Robert E. Howard, author of Conan the Barbarian, in a letter to the famous horror novelist H.P. Lovecraft.
"Mexican dishes I enjoy, but they don't agree with me much. However I generally wrestle with them every time I go to the border. Tamales, enchilados, tacos, chili con carne to a lesser extent, barbecued goat-meat, tortillas, Spanish-cooked rice, frijoles - they play the devil with a white man's digestion, but they have a tang you seldom find in Anglo-Saxon cookery. You know a coyote nor a buzzard never will touch a Mexican's carcass - they can't stand the pepper he ate in his lifetime. The last time I was on the border I discovered one Pablo Ranes, whose dishes smoked with the concentrated essence of hell-fire. I returned to his abode of digestional-damnation until my once powerful constitution was but a shell of itself. I aided Pablo's atrocities with some wine bottled in Spain that kicked like an army mule, and eventually came to the conclusion that the border is a place only for men with cast-iron consciences and copper bellies."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Oct, 2024 07:08 pm
“Most people live in almost total darkness…people, millions of people whom you will never see, who don’t know you, never will know you, people who may try to kill you in the morning, live in a darkness which...if you have that funny terrible thing which every artist can recognize and no artist can define...you are responsible to those people to lighten, and it does not matter what happens to you. You are being used in the way a crab is useful, the way sand certainly has some function. It is impersonal. This force which you didn’t ask for, and this destiny which you must accept, is also your responsibility. And if you survive it, if you don’t cheat, if you don’t lie, it is not only, you know, your glory, your achievement, it is almost our only hope.”
–James Baldwin
0 Replies