Your Quote of the Day

izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
I get synchronicity a lot.

The other day I was driving back from my dad's house with a friend. He was talking of a lady friend of his. She is from Poland so he refers to her as Polecat.

Five minutes later a real polecat crossed the road in front of us, and it's the first time I've seen one in the wild.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 12:28 pm
@izzythepush,
I read once that when speaking to the white men they called them Massah to avoid the use of Master. Makes sense.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 12:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Minor day to day acts of defiance are what keeps you sane.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Apr, 2024 06:16 pm
“The fortunes of the entire world may well ride on the ability of young Americans to face the responsibilities of an old America gone mad.” - Phil Ochs
“Even though you can't expect to defeat the absurdity of the world, you must make the attempt. That's morality, that's religion, that's art, that's life.” - Phil Ochs
Died on this day in 1976
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2024 09:09 pm
Charles Dickens
They are the children of all who walk the earth unseen! Their names are Ignorance and Want! Beware of them, for upon their brow is written the word "doom"! They spell the downfall of you and all who deny their existence!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2024 08:05 am
If you kill a cockroach you are a hero, if you kill a butterfly you are bad. Morality has aesthetic standards.
Nietzsche
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2024 08:45 am
you haven't lived until you've been in a flophouse,
with nothing but one light bulb and 56 men
squeezed together on cots with everybody snoring at once
and some of those snores so deep and gross and unbelievable—
dark
snotty gross subhuman wheezings from hell itself.
your mind almost breaks under those death-like sounds
and the intermingling odors: hard unwashed socks pissed and shitted underwear
and over it all slowly circulating air
much like that emanating from uncovered garbage cans.
and those bodies in the dark
fat and thin and bent
some legless armless
some mindless
and worst of all:
the total absence of hope
it shrouds them
covers them totally.
it's not bearable.
you get up
go out
walk the streets
up and down sidewalks
past buildings
around the corner
and back up the same street
thinking:
those men were all children
once
what has happened to them?
and what has happened to me?
it's dark and cold
out here.
~ Charles Bukowski
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Apr, 2024 05:20 pm
13 April, 1906
"You're on earth. There is no cure for that."
Born in Foxrock, Dublin, on this day in 1906, Irish avant-garde novelist, playwright, theatre director, and poet, Samuel Beckett (13 April 1906 - 22 December 1989), winner of the 1969 Nobel Prize in Literature.
Beckett's work offers a bleak, tragicomic outlook on human existence, often coupled with black comedy and gallows humour, and became increasingly minimalist in his later career.
He is considered one of the last modernist writers, and one of the key figures in what dramatist ansd jouurnalist Martin Esslin famously called the "Theatre of the Absurd."
Among his best known works are "Waiting for Godot" (first published in French in 1952 with the title "En attendant Godot", premiered in 1953, with an English translation appearing in 1955), "Fin de partie" ("Endgame") (1957), "Krapp's Last Tape" (1958, written in English), "Happy Days" (1961, also written in English), and "Play" (1963).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2024 03:56 pm

100% Fan Of Basketball ·

◾ Larry Bird: "I would never call him the best player I've ever seen if i weren't serious."
◾ Magic Johnson: "There's Michael Jordan, then the rest of us."
◾ Allen Iverson: "Mike is the GOAT, Mike will always be the GOAT."
◾ Shaquille O'Neal: "The Last Dance only solidified the argument about who is the greatest player of all time."
◾ Kevin Durant: "MJ is one of one, god level, incomparable, a pure master at this ****. I'm still watching their games to learn."
◾ Dwayne Wade: "MJ was chosen to be the Greatest of All time."
◾ Jerry West: "He is the best athlete i have seen in Basketball."
◾ Patrick Erwing: "Lebron is incredible, but he's not Michael Jordan."
◾ Vince Carter: "I have yet to give it to Michael Jordan. Kobe Bryant second."
◾ Hakeem Olajuwon: "When people start comparing Lebron to Jordan, it's not a fair comparison. Jordan was a much more superior player in a tougher league. He was very creative. That doesn't take anything away from Lebron because he's a great player, but it's not fair comparison, Jordan is simply far superior."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2024 07:05 am
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man." --Mark Twain
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2024 07:39 am
“Oliver Stone has assassinated Jim Morrison. The film portrays Jim as a violent, drunken fool. That wasn’t Jim. When I walked out of the movie, I thought, ‘Geez, who was that jerk?’. Jim didn’t light Pam’s closet on fire. He didn’t throw a TV set at me. His student film didn’t have images from ‘Triumph of the Will.’ That was totally made up. And Jim never quit film school. He graduated from UCLA. All you see is Jim as a drunken hedonist. The tragedy is that fame consumed him. But that wasn’t Jim’s message. He was intelligent. He was loving. He was a good man who believed in freedom and in questioning authority. But you’d never know that from seeing this film.”
— Ray Manzarek
coluber2001

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2024 02:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wonder where Oliver Stone got the impression of Jim Morrison? Did he interview people?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2024 03:04 pm
@coluber2001,
I don't know. But I have long been a critic of biopics. Too often they concentrate on the negatives of the subject and ignore what made us love them. The one on Bobby Darin is not even remotely about him.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2024 03:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Richard III was a Shakespearean hatchet job.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2024 08:01 pm
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
--Ernest Hemingway
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Apr, 2024 09:01 pm
@coluber2001,
Writing is the hardest thing I've ever done. I've spent most of the week on two fairly simple paragraphs because for me they are not simple at all.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2024 08:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeah. That:s a lot of blood!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2024 09:02 am
@coluber2001,
I finally got beyond the two paragraphs. Sort of. There will be editing at the end.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Apr, 2024 09:21 am
"The secret of the demagogue is to make himself as stupid as his audience so they believe they are as clever as he."

-- Karl Kraus
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Apr, 2024 06:03 pm

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
"Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution."
"A dame that knows the ropes isn't likely to get tied up."
"A hard man is good to find."
It was on this day in 1927 that actress Mae West was sentenced to 10 days in prison for her starring role in the play Sex, which she also wrote and directed. It was her first Broadway show. Sex got terrible reviews but attracted huge audiences. It had been running for 41 weeks when the police showed up and arrested the cast and crew — although only West was sent to jail. She was charged with “producing an immoral show and maintaining a public nuisance.” She said: “I wrote the story myself. It’s about a girl who lost her reputation and never missed it.”
In jail, West was forced to turn over her silk stockings, but allowed to keep her silk underwear. She got her own private cell, and she charmed the warden and his wife so much that they invited her to eat dinner with them in their home each night. She befriended the other inmates while she made beds and dusted. In her down time, she read business articles comparing various Hollywood studios. She was released two days early for good behavior.
The following year, she wrote and starred in the play Diamond Lil (1928) on Broadway, and it was a big success. She went to Hollywood, got a part in Night After Night (1932), and was allowed to rewrite her scenes. In her first scene, a hatcheck girl says to her “Goodness, what beautiful diamonds!” and West says, “Goodness has nothing to do with it, dearie.” It was a hit, and the next year she co-starred with Cary Grant in I’m No Angel (1933). By 1935, she was said to be the second highest paid person in the United States, after William Randolph Hearst. ~ The Writer's Almanac
0 Replies