168

Your Quote of the Day

1  
Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 07:52 am
“The pendulum of the mind oscillates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.”
― Carl Gustav Jung
Mame

2  
Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 04:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

Jack Handey

2  
Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2021 10:20 am
“Our wounds are often the openings into the best and most beautiful part of us.”
― David Richo

coluber2001

1  
Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2021 12:10 am
There is a story, often told, that upon exiting the Constitutional Convention Benjamin Franklin was approached by a group of citizens asking what sort of government the delegates had created. His answer was: "A republic, if you can keep it."
--Dr. Richard Beeman

1  
Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2021 08:40 am
“Man is many things, but he is not rational.”
― Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

1  
Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2022 08:40 am
“Truly amazing, what people can get used to, as long as there are a few compensations.”
― Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

1  
Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 11:19 pm
“If the sound of happy children is grating on your ears, I don't think it's the children who need to be adjusted.”
― Stefan Molyneux

1  
Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 06:58 pm
“If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it would not seem so wonderful at all.”
― Michelangelo Buonarroti

1  
Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 09:31 am
@edgarblythe,
“There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”
― James Madison
Albuquerque

1  
Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 05:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Conditioning in Psychology...doomed if you have it doomed if you don't...
(I am looking at the Universals here not at Politics)
...now think about that for a minute, you always go from a prison to another...I have serious trouble with the word "freedom" always had!

And the funny thing you know on all this is that I am as rebel as they come.
...oh well, I find me laughing at myself so often...I feel like a cartoon in some big cosmic comedy!

1  
Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2022 11:58 pm
Roy Orbison's voice came blasting out of the small speakers. His new song, "Running Scared," exploded into the room.
Orbison, though, transcended all the genres - folk, country, rock and roll or just about anything. His stuff mixed all the styles and some that hadn't even been invented yet. He could sound mean and nasty on one line and then sing in a falsetto voice like Frankie Valli in the next. With Roy, you didn't know if you were listening to mariachi or opera. He kept you on your toes. With him, it was all about fat and blood. He sounded like he was singing from an Olympian mountaintop and he meant business. One of his previous songs, "Ooby Dooby" was deceptively simple, but Roy had progressed. He was now singing his compositions in three or four octaves that made you want to drive your car over a cliff. He sang like a professional criminal. Typically, he'd start out in some low, barely audible range, stay there a while and then astonishingly slip into histrionics. His voice could jar a corpse, always leave you muttering to yourself something like, "Man, I don't believe it." His songs had songs within songs. They shifted from major to minor key without any logic. Orbison was deadly serious - no pollywog and no fledgling juvenile. There wasn't anything else on the radio like him.”
― Bob Dylan, Chronicles: Volume One
Mame

1  
Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 01:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
I love his voice! Huge fan here.

1  
Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 02:16 pm
“Shakespeare wrote Moby-Dick, using Melville as a Ouija board.”
― Ray Bradbury

1  
Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 08:28 am
“I remember the newspapers dying like huge moths. No one wanted them back. No one missed them. And the Government, seeing how advantageous it was to have people reading only about passionate lips and the fist in the stomach, circled the situation with your fire-eaters.”
― Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451

1  
Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2022 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
No, Shakespeare suffered from Moby Dick, it put considerable strain on his marriage to Anne Hathaway.

2  
Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 12:13 pm
“I like the scientific spirit—the holding off, the being sure but not too sure, the willingness to surrender ideas when the evidence is against them: this is ultimately fine—it always keeps the way beyond open—always gives life, thought, affection, the whole man, a chance to try over again after a mistake—after a wrong guess.”
― Walt Whitman, Walt Whitman's Camden Conversations

coluber2001

1  
Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:10 am
A big lie ultimately leads to violence because you're not going to be able to defend it in any other way.
The big lie of Mr. Trump has already led to violence and death.
--Timothy Snyder

1  
Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:53 am
@coluber2001,
There are other big lies leading to death, as in MLK, JFK. There are other forms of violence out there every day, such as poverty, unjustified war actions, suppression and killing targeted sections of the populace, overuse of weed killers and poisons, opioids, people not distancing or wearing masks, family dysfunction. Surprisingly with or without Trump and Hitler.

1  
Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 10:48 am
“I think the tragedy is that we have a Congress with a Senate that has a minority of misguided senators who will use the filibuster to keep the majority of people from even voting.“ - MLK, 1963

1  
Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 12:13 am
As Harry Truman once said, “Socialism is a scare word they've hurled at every advance the people have made. Socialism is what they called public power, social security, deposit insurance, and independent labor organizations. Socialism is their name for anything that helps all people.”