Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2021 08:57 am
“One who makes himself a worm cannot complain afterwards if people step on him.”
― Immanuel Kant
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2021 09:55 am
“So, you're the man who can't spell '****.'"
Dorothy Parker to Norman Mailer after publishers had convinced Mailer to replace the word with a euphemism, 'fug,' in his 1948 book, "The Naked and the Dead.”
― Dorothy Parker
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2021 06:34 am
“Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not regarded as members of the herd.”
― Bertrand Russell, Unpopular Essays
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 08:00 am
“In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.”
― Napoléon Bonaparte
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 05:29 am

"Everyon's an atheist until they clog a toilet at someone else's house..."
~ unknown
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 08:33 am
A man said to the universe:
“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”
― Stephen Crane, War Is Kind and Other Poems
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:35 am
@edgarblythe,
I read that at vollege, it's in the Norton Anthology of American Literature.

Can't remember which volume though.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 09:54 am
@izzythepush,
I like several of Crane's poems. He directly attacks his chosen subject.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2021 10:33 am
@edgarblythe,
He is very good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2021 01:11 pm
“We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.”
― George Orwell
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2021 09:25 am
“Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.”
― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2021 09:19 am
“I get no respect. The way my luck is running, if I was a politician I would be honest.”
― Rodney Dangerfield
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 11:44 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

“We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.”
― George Orwell

Damn, that is just so appropriate for our time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2021 12:11 pm
“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 04:34 am
"The best things cannot be told, the second best are misunderstood. After that comes civilized conversation; after that, mass indoctrination; after that, intercultural exchange."
---Joseph Campbell
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 07:24 am
“Those who do not move, do not notice their chains.”
― Rosa Luxemburg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2021 04:27 pm
“The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.”
― Karl Marx
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2021 08:31 am
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
― H.L. Mencken, On Politics: A Carnival of Buncombe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2021 09:44 am
“Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."

[Special Message to the Congress on the Internal Security of the United States, August 8, 1950]”
― Harry S. Truman
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2021 10:28 am
“It was miraculous. It was almost no trick at all, he saw, to turn vice into virtue and slander into truth, impotence into abstinence, arrogance into humility, plunder into philanthropy, thievery into honor, blasphemy into wisdom, brutality into patriotism, and sadism into justice. Anybody could do it; it required no brains at all. It merely required no character.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
0 Replies