Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2020 05:59 am

“Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”
― Abraham Lincoln
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Apr, 2020 05:14 am
“Listen, Peaches, trickery is what humans are all about," said the voice of Maurice. "They're so keen on tricking one another all the time that they elect governments to do it for them.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2020 06:53 am
“Presidents are selected, not elected.”
― Franklin Delano Roosevelt
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 May, 2020 06:45 am
“Politics: the art of using euphemisms, lies, emotionalism and fear-mongering to dupe average people into accepting--or even demanding--their own enslavement.”
― Larken Rose
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 May, 2020 06:23 am
“Remember something, if you will, about voting: Voting is not a horse race, you're not going there thinking "Gee, I gotta pick the winner so I can brag to my friends 'Oh, I picked so-and-so and he or she won'". Voting is voting your heart and voting your conscience and when you've done that, don't ever, EVER let a Democrat or Republican tell you that you've wasted your vote because the fact is, if you DON'T vote your heart and conscience then you HAVE wasted your vote.”
― Jesse Ventura
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 08:13 am
“A man without a vote is a man without protection.”
― Lyndon B. Johnson

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 11:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
― Lyndon B. Johnson

That would be a black person living in the south.
https://newrepublic.com/article/151858/americas-relentless-suppression-black-voters
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 11:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
― Lyndon B. Johnson

That would be a black person living in the south.
https://newrepublic.com/article/151858/americas-relentless-suppression-black-voters

Personally I think it has spread to the rest of the nation and regardless of ethnicity.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 12:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/03/black-voting-rights-15th-amendment-still-challenged-after-150-years/4587160002/
Black Americans got the right to vote 150 years ago, but voter suppression still a problem
Rick Jervis
USA TODAY

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 May, 2020 01:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know what you are saying. But lately both political parties have been cheating us at the polls. It has always been so where POC, particularly African Americans, are concerned. Now they suppress or change anyone's votes to get the results they want.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 May, 2020 06:21 am
“General Motors, General Mills, General Foods, general ignorance, general apathy, and general cussedness elect presidents and Congressmen and maintain them in power.”
― Herbert M Shelton
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 10:32 am
“I would rather be ruled by people who think they're going to fry in Hell forever if they rule me poorly, than by people for whom I'm merely a convenient economic siphon who can be milked like a cow.”
― Charles A. Coulombe
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 5 May, 2020 03:59 pm
"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"
-- Henry II of England

"Will Biden rid us of this turbulent twit?
--Not Henry II of England
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 May, 2020 09:14 am
“I knew that I could vote and that that wasn't a privilege; it was my right. Every time I tried I was shot, killed or jailed, beaten or economically deprived.”
― Stokely Carmichael
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 May, 2020 09:28 am
“My father once told me that American democracy is a people’s democracy at heart, and that it therefore can be as great as the American people, or as fallible. It depends on all of us. But our system is more fragile than we know. To sustain it, we must always cherish the ideals on which it was founded, remain vigilant against the dark forces that threaten it, and actively engage in the process of making it work.”
― George Takei
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 May, 2020 06:42 am
“History shows us that people often make mistakes, they give wrong decisions, they vote for the wrong persons! And history also shows us that in the end they pay a heavy price for it!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 May, 2020 10:29 am
“My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her.”
― George Washington
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 May, 2020 12:14 pm
“AIDAN: The concept of fortune is nonsensical, but Kady is insisting I wish you both good luck anyway.
AIDAN: So good luck, Hanna Donnelly.
AIDAN: The universe itself depends on you.
AIDAN: ...No pressure.”
― Amie Kaufman, Gemina
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 06:13 am
With the exception of those born in refugee camps, every refugee used to have a life. It doesn’t matter whether you were a physician in Bosnia or a goat herder in the Congo: what matters is that a thousand little anchors once moored you to the world. Becoming a refugee means watching as those anchors are severed, one by one, until at last you’re floating outside of society, an untethered phantom in need of a new life.”
― Viet Thanh Nguyen, The Displaced: Refugee Writers on Refugee Lives
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 12 May, 2020 03:39 pm
"The theory of evolution -- like the theory of gravity -- is a scientific fact."
--Neil deGrasse Tyson

I agree with him about evolution, but I'm not sure about gravity. I fell up the other day. Actually, I was walking uphill and fell down, so that's rather confusing. Did I fall down or up?