Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2017 05:54 am
The meagre lighthouse all in white, haunting the seaboard, as if it were the ghost of an edifice that had once had colour and rotundity, dripped melancholy tears after its late buffeting by the waves. ~Charles Dickens, Little Dorrit
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 07:11 am
It is useless to hold a person to anything he says while he is in love, drunk, or running for office. ~Shirley MacLaine
coluber2001

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 10:59 am
@edgarblythe,
And she might have added "malignant narcissist" to that. But when she said that it was way before the current state of politics. Even Shirley MacLaine with her ESP couldn't have foreseen what's happening now.
0 Replies

kitman

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2017 11:28 am
"The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention." - Richard Moss
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2017 06:28 am
My rules of life.
Charles Turner:

1. Eat no dogs
2. When cooking give your mate the nicest portion
3. Do for others.
4. Don't expect others to do for you.
5. Take charge of your own health
6. Try to answer antagonists with logic and humor. In a pinch, anger and sarcasm will do
7. Vote even if you have to hold your nose
8. Stand against perpetual wars
9. Take time for yourself where you can relax and ignore the world
10. Love friends and family in adversity as well as good times
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 07:17 am
If it weren't for my bad habits, I'd be an idle fellow! ~David J. Beard (1947–2016), tweet, 2010 February 22nd
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2017 08:49 pm
"Mahler also had met Brahms at various times....At one such occasion Brahms complained about ‘modern music’, that he did not see it go anywhere positive, whereupon Mahler pointed towards the brook they just happened to cross on a bridge, saying; ‘There goes the last wave!’. "
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2017 07:26 am
Christmas Eve came at last. The day was bright and beautiful, the ground crisp and hard, and the hoary trees shining like diamonds! What a happy day it brought to many, to most! Even in the poorest village a little green fir branch testified that it was Christmas Eve. ~Amy Campbell, "Christmas Eve," 1872
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 24 Dec, 2017 12:43 pm
"You must renounce all superficiality, all convention, all vanity and delusion."
Gustav Mahler
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2017 09:04 am
May Peace be your gift at Christmas and your blessing all year through! ~Author Unknown
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2017 12:53 pm
Punning is an art of harmonious jingling upon words, which passing in at the ears, and falling upon the diaphragma, excites a titillary motion in those parts, and this being conveyed by the animal spirits into the muscles of the face, raises the cockles of the heart. ~Jonathan Swift, "Ars Pun-ica, sive Flos Linguarum; The Art of Punning; or, The Flower of Languages"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2017 05:22 am
I am but mad north-north-west:  when the wind is southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw.  ~William Shakespeare
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2017 06:33 am
It is not how busy you are, but why you are busy — the bee is praised, the mosquito is swatted. ~Author Unknown
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2017 06:13 am
I have always claimed Americans didn't want a drink as bad as they wanted the right to take a drink if they did happen to want one. ~Will Rogers
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2017 05:58 am
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. ~Elayne Boosler
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 07:46 am
There are big ships and small ships. But the best ship of all is friendship. ~Author Unknown
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Dec, 2017 12:47 pm
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jan, 2018 07:24 am
Ideals are absolutes — they are like round holes of perfection into which the square, rough-hewn pegs of reality can never be successfully fitted. ~Dr. Idel Dreimer, www.lumpenbangenpiano.com
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Jan, 2018 05:24 am
You folks happen to know what the main trouble with this country is?... The main trouble is there are too many people who don't know where they're going and they want to get there too fast. ~The Bishop's Wife, 1947 (writing credits: R. Nathan, R.E. Sherwood, L. Bercovici, B. Wilder, C. Brackett; spoken by the character Sylvester)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2018 11:13 am
Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. ~Aldous Huxley
0 Replies