Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2017 05:39 am
John C. Calhoun

The Government of the absolute majority instead of the Government of the people is but the Government of the strongest interests; and when not efficiently checked, it is the most tyrannical and oppressive that can be devised.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 05:59 am
An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. ~Bill Vaughan (1915–1977), in The Kansas City Star
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 08:45 am
"The beginning of wisdom, I believe, is our ability to accept an inherent messiness in our explanation of what's going on. Nowhere is it written that human minds should be able to give a full accounting of creation in all dimensions and on all levels. Ludwig Wittgenstein had the idea that philosophy should be what he called "true enough." I think that's a great idea. True enough is as true as can be gotten. The imagination is chaos. New forms are fetched out of it. The creative act is to let down the net of human imagination into the ocean of chaos on which we are suspended and then to attempt to bring out of it ideas."

Rupert Sheldrake
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2017 11:39 pm
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSVrf9raEDVTlbryMoXXv8i7YrpifKEZfHA5nSTP-utLQzbxyg_A
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 05:22 am
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24131164_1735676589839893_1851720990971735795_n.jpg?oh=147647f844b6382ae64bd19fe490c1f8&oe=5A8B0A7D
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 10:20 am
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy: that is the search for a superior moral justification for SELFISHNESS"---John K Galbraith.
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 10:39 am
@farmerman,
"If you feed enough oats to the horse, some will pass through to feed the sparrows"
John K Galbraith on the concept of trickle- down economics
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2017 03:31 pm
"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."

W.C. Fields
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:16 pm
Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it. ~André Gide
0 Replies

AngleWyrm-paused

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2017 08:52 pm
H.G. Wells wrote:
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2017 05:38 am
Have you got any stewed prunes?

Yes.

Well give them a cup of coffee. That ought to sober them up.

A Night at the Opera (Groucho Marx)
0 Replies

AngleWyrm-paused

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2017 03:37 pm
Arnold Schwarzenegger wrote:
"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn."
Kolyo

Reply Sat 2 Dec, 2017 04:07 pm
@AngleWyrm-paused,
Even though he's a Republican, Arnold Schwarzenegger is a Keynesian on the subject of the economy.

How do i know? Well, Keynesians of course believe government should put extra money into the economy to spur additional private spending. When asked once what he would do about a sagging economy, Arnold said: "I would puhmp it uhp."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 08:12 am
Man is perhaps half mind and half matter in the same way as the polyp is half plant and half animal. The strangest creatures are always found on the border lines of species. ~Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742–1799), translated by Norman Alliston, 1908  [i.e., coral polyps —tεᖇᖇ¡·g]
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 08:23 am

In contemplating the causes which may disturb our Union, it occurs as matter of serious concern that any ground should have been furnished for characterizing parties by geographical discriminations, Northern and Southern, Atlantic and Western; whence designing men may endeavor to excite a belief that there is a real difference of local interests and views. One of the expedients of party to acquire influence within particular districts is to misrepresent the opinions and aims of other districts. You cannot shield yourselves too much against the jealousies and heartburnings which spring from these misrepresentations; they tend to render alien to each other those who ought to be bound together by fraternal affection.
I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the State, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.
This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.
The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty.
George Washington - 1796
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 3 Dec, 2017 12:54 pm
"Advice? I don’t have advice. Stop aspiring and start writing. If you’re writing, you’re a writer. Write like you’re a goddamn death row inmate and the governor is out of the country and there’s no chance for a pardon. Write like you’re clinging to the edge of a cliff, white knuckles, on your last breath, and you’ve got just one last thing to say, like you’re a bird flying over us and you can see everything, and please, for God’s sake, tell us something that will save us from ourselves. Take a deep breath and tell us your deepest, darkest secret, so we can wipe our brow and know that we’re not alone. Write like you have a message from the king. Or don’t. Who knows, maybe you’re one of the lucky ones who doesn’t have to."
Alan W. Watts
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 06:32 am
From beasts we scorn as soulless,
In forest, field and den,
The cry goes up to witness
The soullessness of men.
~M. Frida Hartley

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez
coluber2001

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 11:31 am
@edgarblythe,
"War is the only legitimate hunting sport."
W.A. Narod
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2017 07:05 pm
@coluber2001,
https://imgur.com/hE5tD72.jpg
American auteur, David Lynch
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2017 05:59 am
Every ambitious would-be empire clarions it abroad that she is conquering the world to bring it peace, security and freedom, and is sacrificing her sons only for the most noble and humanitarian purposes. That is a lie, and it is an ancient lie, yet generations still rise and believe it! ~Taylor Caldwell, Testimony of Two Men, 1968 
0 Replies