Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 04:39 am
Players have two things to do. Play and keep their mouths shut.
Sparky Anderson
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 08:28 am
Propaganda works best when those who are being manipulated
are confident they are acting on their own free will.
Propaganda must facilitate the displacement of aggression by specifying the targets for hatred.

...the rank and file are usually much more primitive than we imagine. Propaganda must therefore always be essentially simple and repetitious.

The bigger the lie, the more it will be believed.

In the newspapers there is insulting and stirring up hatred. Those irresponsible daubers!

"That propaganda is good which leads to success, and that is bad which fails to achieve the desired result. It is not propaganda’s task to be intelligent, its task is to lead to success."

Joseph Goebbels
Third Reich propaganda minister
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 12:40 pm
@coluber2001,
Look at what's happening with Trump and white supremacists. Many refuse to acknowledge Nazism, but support Trump's racism.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:05 am
“When I was growing up I always wanted to be someone. Now I realize I should have been more specific.”
― Lily Tomlin
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 07:11 am
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."

Albert Einstein
—"Old Man's Advice to Youth: 'Never Lose a Holy Curiosity.'" LIFE Magazine (2 May 1955) p. 64
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 04:48 am
Jerzy Andrzejewski
Quotations

All around, autumn was already very much in evidence. The air felt crisp that October morning and smelled of dying leaves, which blanketed the entire boulevard. The chestnut trees along the riverbank stood in a bluish mist, motionless and straight, looking somewhat like an artificial flower arrangement in red, bright yellow, and fading green.

The dew still glittered along the green slopes below St. Ann's Church, and a fragile mist hovered in the air. Perhaps, because of that mist, the statue of King Sigismund, solitary against the far-reaching sky, the walls of the church, and the old town houses behind it, appeared to be more distant and higher than usual. Even the bridges seemed farther away, with the trolleys trudging over it slowly; they looked like enormous red June bugs. It all made an impression as though the entire scenery had struggled to leap up, but was suddenly stopped in the attempt, suspended in mid-air.

Yes, we did have dreams, and not just in our childhood, but didn't we pay for them dearly? It's better not to give our past as an example for our children to follow. Nowadays they must learn from the beginning to think and feel as does the rest of their society. You know it yourself. What'll be the fate of a man who insists on thinking differently from the rest? Just because we ourselves got used to often saying what we don't think, will our children also have to lie?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 10:07 am
"I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions, not by my exposure to founts of wisdom and knowledge."
Igor Stravinsky

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
Albert Einstein

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 04:03 pm
"I think it is just terrible and disgusting how everyone has treated Lance Armstrong, especially after what he achieved wining seven Tour de France races while on drugs. When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bike."
----- Willie Nelson
coluber2001

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 06:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Lol
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 06:37 am
I find it interesting that the meanest life, the poorest existence, is attributed to God's will, but as human beings become more affluent, as their living standard and style begin to ascend the material scale, God descends the scale of responsibility at a commensurate speed.
Maya Angelou
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 11:06 am
"Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and it's beauty."
Albert Einstein
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 07:11 am
Narcissus does not fall in love with his reflection because it is beautiful, but because it is his. If it were his beauty that enthralled him, he would be set free in a few years by its fading.
W. H. Auden
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2017 10:21 am
"It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure."
Albert Einstein
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 06:45 am
"Compliments make me vain: & when I am vain, I am insolent & overbearing. It is a pity, too, because I love compliments. I love them even when they are not so. My child, I can live on a good compliment two weeks with nothing else to eat."
-- Mark Twain in a letter to Gertrude Natkin (1906)
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 08:22 am
"It is really one of the most serious faults which can be found with the whole conception of democracy, that its cultural function must move on the basis of the common denominator. Such a point of view indeed would make a mess of all of the values which we have developed for examining works of art. It would address one end of education in that it would consider that culture which was available to everyone, but in that achievement it would eliminate culture itself.

This is surely the death of all thought."

This quote is taken from The Artist’s Reality: Philosophies of Art" by Mark Rothko,
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:06 am
"After the Fidelistas took over, they went to Washington and tried to get support from the U.S. government, which turned them down. They were in a desperate political and economic situation, so they took the offer from the Soviet Union. Communism was a matter of necessity."

Lawrence Ferlinghetti
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 10:42 am
@coluber2001,
They refused to be the sort of puppet as was Batista.
coluber2001

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 11:09 am
@edgarblythe,
Yeah, from what I understand the mafia ran Havana during the Batista days and didn't care for Castro too much. Our anti-communist view was pretty extreme too.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 05:18 am
@coluber2001,
Didn't help Batista's image when the nuns were shot in the street.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 05:27 am
“Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.”
― Ray Cummings, The Girl in the Golden Atom
0 Replies