George

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 07:02 am
@giujohn,
Indeed he did.

A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined;
to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite;
and their safety and interest require that they should promote such
manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for
essential, particularly military, supplies.

Reading his words, you can sense the man's presence, his dignity and
gravitas.
giujohn

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2017 08:52 am
@George,
I agree wholeheartedly... And I'm confident in saying that Mr. Washington saw the danger of a standing army, allbeit a necessary evil, and was advocating for a well-armed, well-disciplined, and equally supplied population, not under the control of any central government, as a hedge against domestic tyranny.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 07:55 am
“We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace—business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred.”
― Franklin D. Roosevelt
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 06:10 am
And I should like to assure you, my Islamic friends, that under the American Constitution, under American tradition, and in American hearts, this Center, this place of worship, is just as welcome as could be a similar edifice of any other religion. Indeed, America would fight with her whole strength for your right to have here your own church and worship according to your own conscience. This concept is indeed a part of America, and without that concept we would be something else than what we are.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 08:57 am
I am sorry to say I do doubt the honesty of many men that are called good at home, that have given themselves up to serve a party. I am no man's man. I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the white house, no matter who he is. And if this petty, un-patriotic scuffling for men, and forgetting principles, goes on, it will be the overthrow of this one happy nation, and the blood and toil of our ancestors will have been expended in vain.
An Account of Col. Crockett's Tour to the North and Down East : In the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Thirty-four (1835), p. 172
- David Crockett
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2017 06:19 am
Someone has a great fire in his soul and nobody ever comes to warm themselves at it, and passers-by see nothing but a little smoke at the top of the chimney and then go on their way.

Vincent Van Gogh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2017 05:43 am
“The real weapons of mass destruction are the hardened hearts of humanity”
Leonard Cohen
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:47 am
“I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil. Government belongs wherever evil needs an adversary and there are people in distress.”
― Robert F. Kennedy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 10:24 am
“Art is either revolution or plagiarism”
― Paul Gauguin
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 08:04 am
“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.”
― Theodore Roosevelt
jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
"I was in a movie with Joan Crawford once called 'What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?' I played Baby Jane. She played whatever."
- Bette Davis
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 07:44 pm
@jcboy,
The meaning of life: We live, we die. What's the point?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 11:36 am
“Our heads are round so thought can change direction”
― Allen Ginsberg
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2017 12:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
“Our heads are round so thought can change direction”

Our heads are round so we can think in circular logic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 06:03 am
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum....”
― Noam Chomsky, The Common Good
0 Replies

Lady Sophy

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2017 06:37 am
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 06:18 am
“The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.”
Alberto Giacometti
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 12:53 pm
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful." —Ann Landers
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 09:49 am
“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
― George Orwell, Animal Farm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 03:07 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p403x403/15589605_1222868207799895_1090553840080201096_n.jpg?oh=a9efddcfc5539217f861fd0085db41a2&oe=596AA055
0 Replies