Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Aug, 2014 07:14 pm
“Actually there were many officers' clubs that Yossarian had not helped build, but he was proudest of the one on Pianosa. It was a sturdy and complex monument to his powers of determination. Yossarian never went there to help until it was finished; then he went there often, so pleased was he with the large , fine, rambling shingled building. It was a truly splendid building, and Yossarian throbbed with a mighty sense of accomplishment each time he gazed at it and reflected that none of the work that had gone into it was his.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 05:01 am
“What happened to fantasy for me is what also happened to rock and roll. It found a common denominator for making maximum money. As a result, it lost its tensions, its anger, its edginess and turned into one big cup of cocoa.”
― Michael Moorcock
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:10 pm
"I guess we all like to be recognized not for one piece of fireworks, but for the ledger of our daily work."
--Neil Armstrong
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2014 12:16 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
"If it wouldn't be for PhotoShop we couldnt have had another Shark Week"-me
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 05:06 am
“Pass then through this little space of time conformably to nature, and end thy journey in content, just as an olive falls off when it is ripe, blessing nature who produced it, and thanking the tree on which it grew.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 05:10 am
“He smiled understandingly-much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced--or seemed to face--the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. It understood you just as far as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 01:14 pm
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."
--Arthur C. Clarke
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2014 05:09 am
“A man is never such an egotist as at moments of spiritual ecstasy. At such times it seems to him that there is nothing on earth more splendid and interesting than himself.”
― Leo Tolstoy, The Cossacks
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 05:03 am
“It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words. Of course the great wastage is in the verbs and adjectives, but there are hundreds of nouns that can be got rid of as well. It isn't only the synonyms; there are also the antonyms. After all, what justification is there for a word which is simply the opposite of some other words? A word contains its opposite in itself. Take 'good,' for instance. If you have a word like 'good,' what need is there for a word like 'bad'? 'Ungood' will do just as well--better, because it's an exact opposite, which the other is not. Or again, if you want a stronger version of 'good,' what sense is there in having a whole string of vague useless words like 'excellent' and 'splendid' and all the rest of them? 'Plusgood' covers the meaning, or 'doubleplusgood' if you want something stronger still...In the end the whole notion of goodness and badness will be covered by only six words--in reality, only one word. Don't you see the beauty of that, Winston?”
― George Orwell
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 09:51 am
"I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart."
--e.e. cummings
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2014 01:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nobody said English was simple and easy! LOL

Then those words that have so many different definitions, it gets downright confusing!
Quote:
What word has the most definitions?

"Set" has 464 definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary. "Run" runs a distant second, with 396. Rounding out the top ten are "go" with 368, "take" with 343, "stand" with 334, "get" with 289, "turn" with 288, "put" with 268, "fall" with 264, and "strike" with 250.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 12:00 pm
“As societies grow decadent, the language grows decadent, too. Words are used to disguise, not to illuminate, action: you liberate a city by destroying it. Words are to confuse, so that at election time people will solemnly vote against their own interests.”
― Gore Vidal
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 12:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
So true! It seems the citizens of any country votes for its own destruction!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2014 02:35 pm
“We can be of many nations, but earth is our land.
We can be of many races, but we are just one clan.”
― Ricardo Derose
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 07:22 am
“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”
― Confucius
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2014 08:00 am
@edgarblythe,
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man"-Jebediah Springfield
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 04:41 am
“Perhaps you are thinking: 'But a tank costs several million dollars, not including floor mats. I don't have that kind of money.'
Don't be silly. You're a consumer, right? You have credit cards, right?
Perhaps you are thinking: 'Yes, but how am I going to pay the credit-card company?'
Don't be silly. You have a tank, right?”
― Dave Barry
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 12:25 pm
"An infallible method of conciliating a tiger is to allow oneself to be devoured."
--Konrad Adenauer
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 02:41 pm
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 04:28 am
“Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem.”
― Woody Allen
0 Replies