Your Quote of the Day

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 04:41 am
“The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.”
― Malcolm X
JTT

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 09:58 am
@edgarblythe,
"... Because they control the minds of the masses.”

Surely, Malcolm was exaggerating, Ed. The razor sharp minds of Americans, controlled by the media - not possible, is it?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 11:44 am
@JTT,
Me not talk.
Tonto
spendius

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 01:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
"Employee of the month is a good example of how somebody can be both a winner and a loser at the same time." - Demetri Martin.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 02:41 pm
“Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.”
- Benjamin Franklin
spendius

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2013 05:00 pm
@vonny,
What did he recommend for the night time?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 04:33 am
“It costs a lot of money to look this cheap”
― Dolly Parton
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 07:00 am
Rich kids gave us their old clothes. They were the best clothes we ever had. We were these very pure, naive, poor children.
The rich kids called us a lot of names but it never bothered us because we didn't know what the words meant.
River Phoenix
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 23 Aug, 2013 01:41 pm
Often we have no time for our friends but all the time in the world for our enemies.
Leon Uris
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 07:47 am
“One can't believe impossible things,” said Alice. “I daresay you haven't had much practice,” said the Queen.”When I was your age, I always did it for half~an~hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” ~Lewis Carroll
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 08:06 am
This is more a word of the day, but it works a quote:

“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.” -- Orwell, 1984
vonny

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 08:22 am
My little dog—a heartbeat at my feet. – Edith Wharton
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 08:40 am
@Kolyo,
“Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them.” -- Orwell, 1984

That's the daily bread for a huge number of Americans, Kolyo. Certainly for you.

Quote:
This is more a word of the day, but it works a quote:

These little doohickies, "..." mean a quote.
Kolyo

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 09:10 am
@JTT,
Actually, I don't engage in doublethink. I engage in what you might call "zero-think" (have fun with that one Laughing ). In zero-think, you don't simultaneously hold two contradictory beliefs. Instead, when confronted with two conflicting narratives, you simply ignore both and think about other things. Instead of accepting contradictory stories, you accept nothing.
JTT

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 09:21 am
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Actually, I don't engage in doublethink.

Now you're lying, Kolyo. Y'all engage in doublethink a great deal. But you have to to keep up the lies that prop up the facade that is the USA.

Quote:
I engage in what you might call "zero-think"

Tell me something I don't know. I just read some of your takes on language.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 09:35 am
A wise man is superior to any insults which can be put upon him, and the best reply to unseemly behavior is patience and moderation.
Moliere
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sat 24 Aug, 2013 05:35 pm
And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

Martin Luther King, Jr.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 08:31 am
“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 10:17 am
“A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold.” ~Ogden Nash
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Sun 25 Aug, 2013 12:54 pm
“All cruelty springs from weakness.”
― Lucius Annaeus Seneca,
0 Replies