Some longer and shorter eternities

Toolbar

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 04:51 am
So if I die today I am dead for "an" eternity, but if I die in 50 years am I then dead for "a longer" eternity? Kind of an excerpt from everyday life language, but you cant speak in this way about eternity right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,272 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 04:57 am
@Toolbar,
Georg Cantor...the celebrated mathematician who studied "infinity"...ended up in a mental institution arguing about similar questions ! However, he did firmly establish that there are indeed "different sized" infinities.
Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 04:59 am
Put down that language, put your hands in the air, and step away slowly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 11:37 am
@Toolbar,
While there are some cosmologists that say time started at some point in the past, if time always existed, then infinity might go into the past, and our not being alive in the past may reflect the same infinity for not being here? In other words, we were "dead," by virtue of not being here in the past, or in actuality we are just blips on a radar screen, so to speak?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 12:53 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Georg Cantor...the celebrated mathematician who studied "infinity"...ended up in a mental institution arguing about similar questions !

I though he had what we now call bipolar disorder.
fresco

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 11:59 pm
@contrex,
True, that label was a later interpretation, but the subject matter seemed to contribute to the condition.

From Wikipedia
Quote:
Writing decades after Cantor's death, Wittgenstein lamented that mathematics is "ridden through and through with the pernicious idioms of set theory," which he dismissed as "utter nonsense" that is "laughable" and "wrong".[8] Cantor's recurring bouts of depression from 1884 to the end of his life were once blamed on the hostile attitude of many of his contemporaries,[9] but these episodes can now be seen as probable manifestations of a bipolar disorder.[10]
The harsh criticism has been matched by later accolades. In 1904, the Royal Society awarded Cantor its Sylvester Medal, the highest honor it can confer for work in mathematics.[11] Cantor believed his theory of transfinite numbers had been communicated to him by God.[12] David Hilbert defended it from its critics by famously declaring: "No one shall expel us from the Paradise that Cantor has created."[13]

From Wolfram Research
Quote:
Cantor's highly original views were vigorously opposed by his contemporaries, especially Kronecker. The attacks contributed to the nervous breakdowns he suffered throughout the final 33 years of his life. Cantor died in a mental institution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqE_nrymHRU
0 Replies