So we got a little rain

jcboy

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 05:54 pm
It wouldn’t have bothered me if it hadn’t flooded so much that I couldn’t get to my car and make it to happy hour. The water was over the curb and into the front yard within ten minutes.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/Marne444/fload.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,340 • Replies: 24
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 05:58 pm
@jcboy,
A little rain can't hurt anyone. I wouldn't mind walking home in the rain as long as I have an umbrella and some decent waterproof shoes. As of now, I am without the waterproof shoes and I hate soggy socks.
jcboy

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 05:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
The sky has already cleared up and still over 90 outside Smile I won't have to water for a few days now lol Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 06:01 pm
@jcboy,
It's a weather win-win!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 06:01 pm
@jcboy,
This may be a reason for that wall, and perhaps a step or two, (two with a landing is smarter re people falling) which would involve fooling with the path to your door and some potential regrading. But, a point for the wall.

What's the local drainage like? I'm used to well thought out drainage and I moved to a a city where contractors grade the concrete toward the building (or at least some of them do) and I don't think I've seen any drains at all here, except arroyos. They've worked forever, I take it, but manmade stuff in fast built places doesn't always.
jcboy

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 06:39 pm
@ossobuco,
The drainage here is horrible. I live next to the house on the corner where the drain is. I went out once and filled a 30 gallon trash can with all the debris but that didn’t do any good, its down in the drain. I’ve called the city several times and they still haven’t done anything. It usually takes a good hour for this much water to drain.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:10 pm
@jcboy,
Ever consider walking on temporary stilts on days like this? Put them on and walk to your car. Your feet stay dry and you get a new perspective on your neighborhood.
jcboy

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Actually I just wear my flip-flops and wade through the water, you dry fast here Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
I designed whole housing tract fine drainage many times, working closely with the site engineers (batches of plan changes, into late night changes - we worked well together on the tuning), and once in a while overriding someone re the general drainage - redid a whole tract once (a famous situation to me where my answer re the site grading worked best over the primo engr firm, acknowledged by that firm and saved a lot of money on top of that. I will say it was probably a junior person at that firm that did the first plan, and that firms we usually worked with were sharper or had someone watching the pups. I did lose a full night's sleep over it and then some).
Also worked out some highway drainage that the engineers copied. But, braggart that I am, I'm a dolt now and I don't just say listen to me. But check it out. Stare at how your streets go and think about it.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:17 pm
@jcboy,
Well, dang it, at least you have drains there.
jcboy

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
When I called the first time I spoke with a lady and told her where I lived, she said “oh I know I drive by there everyday, it’s always flooded when it rains” I felt like asking her if she ever reported it lol.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:22 pm
@jcboy,
Follow it up..
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 07:24 pm
@jcboy,
agreeing with osso.

follow up and send pics
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 08:33 pm
Our ground here in So. FL got wet here today but it wasn't enough to cool the blazing sun and semi-drought. We had 96 deg temps (hottest day of the yr). We're getting some rain here allegedly this w/e. We're a lot better off than Miami-Palm Beach which is in a serious drought. saw the lightning pass off to our north after sunset.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:05 pm
We had a down pour yesterday and my basement flooded. First time ever... But I think this one is the city's fault, considering they dug up the pipes this winter and just let it sit for 3 months. They tried to say it was my trees causing the problem, but since I have no trees, I think they are barking up the wrong tree.. as it were.
patiodog

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:12 pm
@Ceili,
After we bought this house a guy came from working across the way for a chat while I was working on the fence (dogs, big fence). He used to live in the house in the 1970s. Said that they had a time back then when the water came up in the backyard during a thaw and started pouring in the basement windows. The city's since put in a drainage system in the neighborhood (it's under the street, you can feel the vibrations on the road when it's running really heavy).

I put in some aluminum window wells about 4 inches above the window frames, just in case. It still pools up like a bitch, especially when the snow melts. (Then freezes in sheets, especially on the walkway, which is decades old and is now lower than the sod.)
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:29 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
I’ve called the city several times and they still haven’t done anything.

Put your health and safety concerns in writing.

Happy hour huh, pretty quick.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:30 pm
@patiodog,
This is a 60 yr old house, I've lived here 12 yrs. I replaced all the windows 3 years ago, no leaks there. I finished the basement when I moved in and there was no indication of water damage. My neighbour has lived next door all sixty years. He knows more about my house than I do. He told me that there hasn't been a leak since the weeping tile was installed 40 years ago.
I've canoed down nearby roads after a vicious rain storm. The water yesterday was over a 24 hour period. I didn't find it terribly unusual. I actually watched the water flowing out of the drain, I'm assuming the weeping tile overwhelmed the drainage system, so either the 90+ mm of rain was a record or the city messed up the pipes when they dug them up. A couple days after Xmas, I awoke to a crew and a big backhoe digging up the back alley right behind my garage. I didn't have access to the back part of my yard for 3 months. We had an especially cold winter. I wonder if the extreme cold didn't crack nearby pipes when the ground was exposed. Either way it sucked and now I'm wondering if this will be an ongoing problem.. This is thunderstorm season.
patiodog

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:58 pm
@Ceili,
Wouldn't be surprising. I rented a house for a while where the basement went to hell after they dug out the street and replaced the water main. When we moved in, the basement had been finished for 30 years (judging by the carpet and paneling, anyway) without many signs of water damage. The spring after the water main work, it was a damp hole growing black mold.

Back of the house was built on a muddy hillside, though, and the house had settled so much someone had cut the door of a closet in the upstairs hallway into a parallelogram to fit the frame and the water had to run slightly uphill from the tub to the upstairs sewer pipe. I figured the timing of the road work was either coincidental, or the straw that broke the camel's back.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 04:42 pm
Boy we got a downpour! The street was so flooded we had to park our cars a block away and walk. I won’t have to water for another week!

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae16/Marne444/rain.jpg