Why do atheist try to convert Christians

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:01 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, I know. I am insane and lacking in intelligence. One question, what does that make you for never missing the opportunity to let me know how superior you think you are?

I did not ask you the question. I asked reasoning logic. He knows how to hold a civil conversation even though he does not believe the way I do.
FBM

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:05 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxo81Ok9Urk[/youtube]

Laughing That wouldn't be so funny if it didn't point to so much serious truth.

+1

Edit: Uh-oh. Note to self: Next time, read the rest of the thread before jumping in.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:39 pm
@Arella Mae,
Sorry dear I was just addressing your question concerning the wisdom and logic of obeying an evil god and you might indeed be right that it would be wise to bend to such an all powerful evil being but it is hardly any more moral then running a train into a Nazis concentration camp because Hitler and his SS agents was too powerful to resisted.

Oh would you care for me to list the evil deeds, at least in human terms, that the old testament god was guilty of that put such a man as Hitler to shame?
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:43 pm
@BillRM,
Yep, ya never miss an opportunity to berate someone else. Sad. I don't want to talk to you.
BillRM

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:46 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Yep, ya never miss an opportunity to berate someone else. Sad. I don't want to talk to you.

You desire not to talk to me does not take away my rights to address your public postings.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:52 pm
@BillRM,
I don't want to talk to you for one reason. YOU ARE NOT A NICE PERSON! Don't you get that? So, since you won't let it go, I will. I am ignoring you Bill. I have no desire to argue with you or anyone else and I definitely don't care to have a discussion with someone that thinks I am insane. That would be.........................well, insane!
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:55 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't think that Bill is trying to be your enemy, I think that he thinks that he has something of value to share with you! I could be wrong does he say things like you are stupid, foolish, retarded, ignorant and so forth?
If he does shame on him but if he says things like that about people who believe in elephant Gods or Gods that had vomited and crated the earth or other gods like Poseidon and so forth could it be that he cares about people that believe in tooth fairy type of gods and wishes that they may be able to see reality so that the world could be a better place because he knows that these people vote and are voted into office where they reside? I do not know he might be a bad person because I have not studied all of his work!
Foofie

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Like the title says why do you think that atheist try to convert Christians?
Why do they try to prove them wrong?
Do you have any idea why they do this?

I believe some of those who are believers in a god, and its respective religion, are told, as part of some popular conception, that atheist do not have the same morality as "god fearing" people. I believe this popular notion has been planted by those that may have realized that current monotheistic religions can become extinct, unless atheism is squashed. Thus, demonize atheism.

However, I believe that many an atheist is not an atheist, based on some choice, but based on the fact that he/she cannot conceptualize a cosmos that requires the concept of a god to function/begin/end. I think mankind is in the same place we were two-thousand years ago, when the belief in a pantheon of pagan gods was beginning to lose its logic. Similarly, the concept of a cosmos, that has a god concept overseeing everything, might be beginning to lose its logic for many also.

I believe atheism will be the future big epiphany of many, probably beyond my lifetime.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:03 pm
@reasoning logic,
You are sweet for trying to be the peacemaker and I do appreciate your efforts. Bill and I have clashed many a time on A2K. I made a vow to not resort to the same namecalling since I apologized to him and I try to be civil to him but he always resorts to name calling and being offensive so anything of value he might have to share he negates it with his attitude.
BillRM

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
AM it is nothing personal in my thinking that you have an irrational view of the universe as that class that you are a part of include any religion person of any faith that give more then lip service to that faith.

Jews, Christians, Muslins, Mormons, Scientologists, Hindis and on and on and on.

I love it that a third rated1950s science fiction author who only written one book that I happen to had slightly enjoyed started a religion with the theory that the earth is an alien prison planet and a numbers of top movie stars are members in good standing.

Of course Jesus bringing a rotting corpse back to life is just as silly/irrational as some galaxy overlord sealing aliens souls under a Hawaii volcano.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:27 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae similar to what you said earlier, you don't like it when someone under minds something you believe in. Well for a long time now there are christians, not saying you personally who show no respect for science. They want to derail science by teaching false data and calling it accurate. It doesn't end there, there are other christians who want to wedge their way into politics within the US and force others who do not believe in your god, to follow the rules that they dictate. They don't realize that by forcing morality onto society you actually make society worse not better. The fact that they won't keep their beliefs to themselves and impose them on to those who don't care or have transcended those beliefs for something better.

I say that religion is obsolete and should be abandoned. We don't need it anymore, we have out grown it's childish superstitions. To be able to move forward we need to shed it. It would be one thing to just keep it to themselves but they don't, they want to impose their will onto everyone who isn't a believer.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:33 pm
@Krumple,
I understand what you are saying. Many do try to impose their beliefs on others. But scripture says if people reject God then we are to dust off our feet. I've never read a thing that says we can harass them.
BillRM

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Many do try to impose their beliefs on others. But scripture says if people reject God then we are to dust off our feet. I've never read a thing that says we can harass them.

Mostly the old testament god commanded you to kill nonbelievers as he is a jealous god.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:47 pm
@Krumple,
I would love to see a study where a lie detector was used on random groups of believers to see what percents of believers was just giving lip service to his or her group god/faith.

For most of human history being an open nonbeliever was a death sentence so I would not be surprised if giving lip service to a faith is almost build into most of us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:50 pm
I consider this a joke thread, by a joker, a person who plays with constructs - nine pages long and growing.
ryoung

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:55 pm
@reasoning logic,
that story goes both ways. There really isn't reason any real good reason either side tries to convert the other. To each his own, and if it makes you a better person then it does not matter which way you go.
Krumple

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 07:58 pm
@ryoung,
ryoung wrote:

that story goes both ways. There really isn't reason any real good reason either side tries to convert the other. To each his own, and if it makes you a better person then it does not matter which way you go.

A better person from who's perspective? Yours, or theirs? Because both sides don't see it the same way.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 08:03 pm
As far as I can tell, most people escape the stresses of life by indulging in one or another fantasy. As long as they aren't blowing up others because they don't share the same fantasy, what business is it of anyone else?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 08:11 pm
@FBM,
I think that you may be on to something!

I wonder what it would be like {if} we all did not engage in such fantasies?

I see nothing wrong with some of this as long as we can come down from this mental high and realize that we are all in this together and that {if} we are able to come down from this mental fantasy type of thinking and back into reality!

I am sure that I can have this wrong because we have seen college educated people that are not able to come down from this and instead fly passenger jets into buildings.

Could there be two many ifs in this post?
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 08:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Why do I have to be a joker without value?
Why cant you make me a wild card that can be used as a valuable player?
0 Replies