Why do atheist try to convert Christians

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 06:59 pm
@Setanta,
Well, why don't you tell me what she is then?

I have asked, she declined, She seems to argue that side...You brought it up, and are now insulting me, because I thought she was, based upon how she replies...

So please explain, what exactly she is? If you are not going to do it...Then what you just said mean 2 shits to me...

If it were truly something that was so important, either, her, or you would tell me what she is...

So I can correct myself, and apologize to her...If not, then it does not seem relevant to her, what I think, So it irks me, why it bothers you...

Since you said before, Atheism, is not apart of your self image?? But is a default...??

I did my part, and asked her...If she declines...Then it is not important to her...Which is fine...and one is going to automatically make a judgment call, or assume, and then in which case they very easily could be wrong...As I was...

If she tells me what she is, And wants me to apologize, or is upset, I will gladly apologize to her!!

Right now, it does not seem to bother her, so why does it bother you??

But I would ask, in the future, please keep your nose in your own business! As images are not important to you anyways? Why would it be for me? Or her??? That is a generalization as well!!!
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:04 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
It appears to me that you don't understand atheism at all. In fact, the evidence from what you write is that you don't understand any ideas that you haven't come up with on your own. As for theism, i have no opinion on the degree of my understanding in comparison to anyone else. It's a subject which bores me.

I have no interest in who has a "superior" understanding, superiority is not important to me. As far as i can see, "superiority" is something you obsess about, and suspect that's because you have self-image problems. I don't see any evidence that you have any "grip" on atheism at all.

I don't "set myself on a default." That's a nonsensical claim. I'm only an atheist to the extent that theists are obsessed with the question, and feel compelled to label people that way.

I'm not playing some silly game in which i set you up to make more of your judgmental pronouncements. You're bad enough with that **** without me playing along.

Yes, it certainly is a mistake for you to make "you guys" comments. Deal with what i write, not with what you allege "you guys" write.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:26 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
It appears to me that you don't understand atheism at all.

It appears as though you do not understand theism's at all!! Wink Wink Very Happy Razz (I can play this childish game too!) I am not mostly concerned with atheism, but theism's...(just like you, on the other side!)

Quote:
In fact, the evidence from what you write is that you don't understand any ideas that you haven't come up with on your own.

This is not a superior claim? Where did I say such a thing? And what leads you to believe such a thing? Would you be insulted if I said the same in return?? Can you please link this "evidence" you speak of??

Quote:
As for theism, i have no opinion on the degree of my understanding in comparison to anyone else. It's a subject which bores me.

Why do you discuss it, specifically with me, all the damn time? Good for you! Because I feel likewise about atheism...

Quote:
I have no interest in who has a "superior" understanding, superiority is not important to me.

Just like you judge me, I will reply likewise...I was testing you, and I very highly doubt that that is truthful indeed! By what you said above, I know nothing about atheism, and you will not say, by logic, it would stand to believe I understand a theism better than you do...That is thinking superior, and that tells me you do think about it! Furthermore, there is no reason whatsoever, for you to make the point about Tiger Woods, Golf game, unless you meant it in a way, that it is possible for others to be superior...and you brought it up...I never even made any comments or mention of it, till I returned the questions back in your direction...

Quote:
As far as i can see, "superiority" is something you obsess about, and suspect that's because you have self-image problems.

Not at all true! I told you why I was asking the questions...Now I would like to see why you posed them to begin with? I have said many times on here I could be wrong, about little, most, or everything, I have never seen you, or almost every atheist on here, say the same...

I do not think of myself as superior, And I am humble, I am still quite young...

I can not say I genuinely think that most atheists fell the same way or are humble about themselves...

Quote:
I don't see any evidence that you have any "grip" on atheism at all.

And what "evidence" would that be??

Who says your evidence is correct? Or that I should listen to it?

Could I not, just label it as Anecdotal?? And dismiss it??

Quote:
I don't "set myself on a default." That's a nonsensical claim. I'm only an atheist to the extent that theists are obsessed with the question, and feel compelled to label people that way.

Fair enough, What would you honestly call yourself then??

Quote:
I'm not playing some silly game in which i set you up to make more of your judgmental pronouncements. You're bad enough with that **** without me playing along.

Keep, dishing out the insults! I am not here to fight with you today! But I PROMISE it will bite you in the ass, as we will go at it, at a later date!

If you can not take it, don't dish them out!

Quote:
Yes, it certainly is a mistake for you to make "you guys" comments. Deal with what i write, not with what you allege "you guys" write.

Thanks for the critique! If I honestly cared, which I do not, and said before, I would waste the time, just to "prove" you wrong, like I have about you trying to smear me to Frank Apisa! Remember? Wink Wink Very Happy Razz
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:04 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Yeah, "judgment calls" are your stock in trade. Hasty, uninformed, arrogant and belittling judgment calls. She is not an atheist.

And you are completely lying thru your teeth, if you say you did not say this to me to try to start **** with me, you know like you always say I am hateful??

There are only 3 reasons why you in fact brought it up, made mention and said it...

1. It bothered you...

2. It bothered her, and she pm you about it, for you to say something to me, I reject this option, because she does not seem like the soft spoken type, and speaks her mind all the time, she is a big girl and does not need you to protect her...

3. you were purposely saying it, to cause **** between us...

As I said, even if I was assuming, and am wrong, as she has not spoken about it yet, and there are very few things I think I can trust you about...It was wrong for me to assume, it was unfounded, and wrong, but at no point with our discussions on here, between her and myself, did she ever say I am not an atheist but this, nor did she say, please do not call me an atheist...

So as it stands, whether I was assuming, and wrong and ignorant about it, it never seemed to bother her, and it did not bother me...

Now, that you brought it up, if she verifies, what you have said, as I do not trust you, i will apologize to her directly!

She seemed to back up atheism, and atheists more than theists to me, So I made a judgement call, and was wrong...

I bet if you got ten people on here, who came on right around the same time as me, 7 of them would have thought she was irreligious....
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:06 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You're using the hasty generalization fallacy again. You extrapolate from your personal experience and project that onto the people you're talking to, but there's no logic in it. There's almost nothing you can say which would insult me, although i'll always take note of your attempts to do so, because they are just continuing evidence of your hateful nature.

Here is an example of your hasty generalizations, based on projecting your thought processes onto others:

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
If I am an a theist, but do not fully understand atheism...Then it stands to believe by logic, if your an atheist, and I am a theist, you do not fully understand theism...

There's no logic in that at all. The point you really miss is that i haven't said that you fail to understand atheism because you are a theist. I know hundreds, probably thousands, of theists who understand atheism. You're just not one of them.

Here we go again. This gets tedious. This is what we do here. We come here to discuss ideas. The only merit in your response is that it is probably a waste of my time to discuss ideas with you.

You really cannot see either the irony or the contradiction in saying that you do consider yourself superior, and then immediately saying that you are humble, can you?

I haven't said that you consider yourself superior, in fact, i believe that you have an inferiority complex, and that that's why your so obsessed with others acting superior and condescending (your terms, not mine).

The evidence is that you continue to talk about atheism as though it were a belief system, rather than an absence of belief. The evidence is your continual assumption that you can extrapolate from your attitude toward your cherished theism to a description of atheism. It's obvious that you just don't get it at all.

You can dismiss whatever you like. My experience is that fanatical religionists live their lives in denial.

I don't label myself. I don't call myself, either, because, after all, i'm always right here.

You're hilarious. You must see yourself as some kind of valiant holy warrior. I can take anything you dish out.
BillRM

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:28 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
LOL we going back to the defense that no one can prove a negative?

Yes your three in one god had the same chance of existing outside of the minds of man as Zeus or the the great pumpkin and that is in fact not zero no matter how close to zero the odds are..

If you can find comfort from the fact the existence of the god you are building your life around have the same chance of being "real" as the tooth fairy more power to you.

However from any practice real life outlook the odds approach zero so closely that it is indeed zero.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Here is an example of your hasty generalizations, based on projecting your thought processes onto others:

What exactly is illogical about it? About 3 or 4 people on here, said I do not understand atheism, because I am a theist, and think irrational, illogical etc......So if that is in fact true, then it must be true, by their own words, they do not understand theism's as they are not one...If they deny this, then they are acting superior, Or they do not understand they contradicted themselves...It is not my problem, if it takes you, to point that out for them...I said it, because once I did, they would know exactly what I meant, and how it feels...It is not my fault if others think irrational, and it takes, a flip, (and what you call illogical post to get them to see the irrationality they just proposed to me...)

So if I am being illogical, so were they! If they were not, neither was I...It can not be both ways!

Are you now going to go hunt them down to tell them, they are thinking illogical?? (of course not! So why is it a staple for you to do it to me?) (what about me, drives you insane, that you would even waste your time, if I had nothing at all to offer to the table?? And am completely Illogical, and irrational??) It clearly must not be true! Or you are a jerk, for even doing it, to get a laugh out of it...Go on, to bigger fish then! and leave me be!

Quote:
There's no logic in that at all. The point you really miss is that i haven't said that you fail to understand atheism because you are a theist. I know hundreds, probably thousands, of theists who understand atheism. You're just not one of them.

I understand what it means...I do not believe others have ever thought about atheism, the way that I per port it...And I do not mean that in a superior way...It is that, I like to think deep, and open peoples minds about things, nothing at all to do with me not being able to grasp the concepts of it!

It is the same exact thing as an atheist telling me what they believe or think about Christianity...Or theism's...Now again, are you going to hunt them down, to tell them this as well?? (of course you will not, so I reject the fact, that you think I am completely Illogical, and irrational....) As they must be as well! Yet, I never once said the kind of **** to them that you say to me! So either, you find value in what I say, and try to belittle me...Or you, and others on here, are not currently aware, that they in fact do the same exact things! I could be a dick, and say that kind of **** to them...But I would rather hear what they have to say! With an open mind! Unlike you!

Quote:
Here we go again. This gets tedious. This is what we do here. We come here to discuss ideas. The only merit in your response is that it is probably a waste of my time to discuss ideas with you.

Good, we agree! you go your way, and I'll go mine!!

If not, for WHATEVER reason, than it is not a waste, for you to discuss things with me, whether you are aware of this or not...

As if it truly was, I happen to believe you would have just left me alone months ago...

And I do not believe you are being self-honest...But what do I know? I am illogical, Irrational, delusional etc, right?? And there is no merit to my posts?? But I would bet everything I own, You will respond to me, right???

Why????

Quote:
You really cannot see either the irony or the contradiction in saying that you do consider yourself superior, and then immediately saying that you are humble, can you?

Apparently, you do not understand, no matter how humble you are...You are also going to be a hypocrite, and act superior at some point...If you think you are a smart guy....Now guys like you, I guess this must NEVER happen right?

What would you do or say, if every time you posted something, I tried to show you, you were being a hypocrite, or making a contradiction?? Do you believe you are not guilty of doing it? If you know you are...Then your post has little to no merit behind it...for trying to do it...as we all do it...

Again, I could do it to you and others, but I do not even bother to be such a jerk like that...and let it go...

Because I over look that, and listen to what they have to say, no matter how crazy it sounds...Because I want to hear what they say! Not try to insult them, to act superior...as you do, but deny you even do it!

Quote:
I haven't said that you consider yourself superior, in fact, i believe that you have an inferiority complex, and that that's why your so obsessed with others acting superior and condescending (your terms, not mine).

Then I must be humble then, right? You said, I must believe I am a valiant Holy warrior...What exactly did you mean by it?? If you did not in fact mean, that you thought I consider myself superior?? Again, you are unaware of keeping track of what you have said....Or I am not being illogical, and irrational etc...and you are trying to dig at me...Or you're not being truthful?? Which is it??

Quote:
The evidence is that you continue to talk about atheism as though it were a belief system, rather than an absence of belief.

That is because I truly believe it is a belief...But that does not mean I do not understand it...It is my way...Of interpreting what atheists are in fact saying to me...Just like they interpret the Bible, or God how they do...

You do not see me telling them why and how they are wrong to do so, do you?
Why would it be wrong for me to do the same with atheism?? And if I do it, and you and others see that as Irrational etc...How do you not pick up on the fact that you are thinking about theism's irrational?? So either, we both have it wrong, or neither of us do...All I am doing is returning there positions exactly as they propose them toward me....If they do not see it as irrational to do that with theism's but do, with atheism, that is not my problem...Nor does it mean I do not get it...It means that they are the ones, who are unaware they are in fact doing it...

Quote:
You can dismiss whatever you like. My experience is that fanatical religionists live their lives in denial.

And my experiences are that atheists live in denial...As there is no such thing as a rejection of a belief of something that is not real = something that is very real!

Quote:
I don't label myself. I don't call myself, either, because, after all, i'm always right here.

Perhaps it would be better for you, if you called yourself what you are? and dropped the atheist tag, if it is a product of theism's?

And just said, I am someone who is a skeptic, or questions things, or doubts, or requires evidence? Not that you are something, based upon a product of people who you call fanatics? And centers around a God that you have a lack of belief is existent??

Quote:
You're hilarious. You must see yourself as some kind of valiant holy warrior. I can take anything you dish out.

This is you laughing at me, but it has no purpose, if I am that wrong, then why even laugh about it? Or you stay around and debate with me, because it is not true, and that is your way of rationalizing what I am saying...

And you are now directly saying you think, I think of myself as superior...all though above, you denied even doing it...And called me illogical...So are you being illogical too? Or do we all make mistakes??

and you actually enjoy debating with me??

I am not interesting in dishing anything out right now....If your looking for a fight, it is not going to happen...Sorry!

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:10 pm
@BillRM,
Well, if this is true, I guess a small portion of you must also believe that there is a chance that the great pumpkin and tooth fairy could be real right??

And this does not sound irrational to you??

By your logic, either God is real, and so is the Great Pumpkin and tooth fairy...

Or God is not, and neither are they??

But yet you do not embrace this??

And think that math probabilities are the answer? as you can not prove a zero?

So you think they do not exist...but yet, you believe there is a chance they all could be???

God is real, and they are not...

Or God is not real, and neither are they!

You can not use a probability to accurately calculate things like that...It is all in your heart and mind, and body...whatever you think, is what it is! end of story!

You consciously, and sub-unconscious...interpret, and derive, at your own personal opinions...and conclusions...Math, and science only bring you there...Still takes a belief in the end! Which is what God said, is the way to find him!
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:19 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
If you can find comfort from the fact the existence of the god you are building your life around have the same chance of being "real" as the tooth fairy more power to you.

No, If you truly believe math probabilities are the answer, and can not get yourself to acknowledge that a God is not real, because of something ridiculous as the tooth fairy....Then clearly math probabilities are doing nothing for you! and it is in your own mind!

If your math and science were that solid...you would in fact have no doubt all 3 are bogus!

But you do not! So your left with saying, a ridiculous claim such as you think there is a very slim chance the tooth fairy is real, because you will never be able to specifically disprove a God...

If you are happy with acknowledging you think this is rational thinking...

Then I am content, with you saying something ridiculous as the tooth fairy may be real, because we can not disprove a God...It truly shows how flawed it is, to try to disprove a God, by Math and science....

And as long as you have that faith of a mustard seed you can be saved!!! Wink Wink Wink Very Happy 2 Cents

BTW...I do not believe the probabilities of the great pumpkin, or tooth fairy are the same...As God...I bet, according to an atheist they are very low indeed....

But, I bet God...Is still probably a lot higher...as in, he does not approach zero....

Or are very very low like the tooth fairy, or great pumpkin....

But yet...The fact you will not utter the tooth fairy or great pumpkin are 100% not real...specifically, because God is in there...says a lot to me indeed about your math and science!
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:11 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSMXX... you gotta be joking... please read what was said again, it's not what your mind has inplanted in your reply.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 03:34 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I did not say that you don't understand atheism because you are a theist. You're pulling that "you guys" **** again. I don't know why you don't understand athism, it's pretty straight forward--atheists don't believe there is a god. Some go so far as to say there is no god. That's it though, end of story. It doesn't mean that they have any set of beliefs in common, it doesn't mean that you can reasonably talk about atheists as though they were a group with identifiable or predictable opinions, whose behavior can be predicted from belief. I don't know why that doesn't sink in with you, and i don't care.

The rest of that drivel is just a long-winded, overblown attempt to maintain a childish spat. I won't be playing that with you.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 04:03 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
No do not think that your very silly and small evil god or the great pumpkin are real in any part of my mind only that even those any such claims can not under logic be proven completely wrong in so must as you can never prove a negative statement such as the great pumpkin does not exist.

All you can say for any such claims is that the likelihood of them being real approach zero as a limit.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:19 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
About 3 or 4 people on here, said I do not understand atheism, because I am a theist,

I don't know that your theism inhibits your ability to understand atheism, but it is clear that you do not understand atheism.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:21 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
I bet if you got ten people on here, who came on right around the same time as me, 7 of them would have thought she was irreligious....

I bet if you asked ten people anywhere, they'd have given no thought as to whether I am a theist, atheist, agnostic or Pastafarian. They wouldn't care and I wouldn't care that they didn't care.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:23 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
So please explain, what exactly she is?

what is the relevance?
Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:26 am
He's always on about character, yet he expected me to betray a trust and tell him what your views are. He's a piece of work, there's no doubt about that.
Thomas

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 06:42 am
@Setanta,
Nobody on the internet is a piece of work unless one pays attention to them. (This insight has made my internet life much happier and less laborious.)
rosborne979

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 07:08 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

...God is everything...

If a God is real, he is in control of everything...

You are creating a limited concept of God when you classify it as a "he" and when you make the assumption that it needs to "control" things. And the situation only gets worse the more you try to define what God is, or what God does, or what God thinks. Every time you classify your concept of God in some way, you limit it.

If you really believe that God is everything, then you have to be consistent and stop applying human limits and human behaviors to it.

The Universe is real and the Universe is everything, but it doesn't control anything, it doesn't need to. Any concept of God should not be less elegant than the Universe itself, or it's just a waste.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 07:10 am
@Thomas,
Oh, i don't disagree--but this is what we come here to do. I often find it entertaining. If the entertainment palls, i move on to something else.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 May, 2012 07:35 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, if it's not fun, there's no point.
0 Replies