Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:59 am
@Rockhead,
Oh man . . . busted . . .
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:59 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
it is not a rejection of belief. it is a lack of belief ( or in the case of some agnostics, it is an expression of a lack of knowledge)

they are very different positions.

And these are all problems that are self-generated...Some say they do not believe Gods are real, Some say it is a rejection of belief....and now, you are saying it is a lack of belief...

Do you understand why others do not get it? Or fully understand you?
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:02 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I believe I have.

Would you be so kind to say it to Setanta again? So I can see it? I like evidence to back things up....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:02 am
In my experience, it's only a handful of people who fail to understand. It seems usually to be fanatical and pig-headed theists.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:03 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I guess you didn't see what happened to littlek's thread (were there any others?)

So sorry, 2 for every 12 or so....
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:06 am
@engineer,
Quote:
Of course you do. The difference on the Internet is that the social pressure not to upset theists is greatly reduced. The majority power that theists wield in everyday life is non-existent on the Internet and theists generally don't know how to respond when they don't have that tool available to them.

Or could it just be like I stated...Atheists generally need theists to operate on here, more than a theist does of an atheist?? simply, BECAUSE an atheist has no church, or organization...although, it is a belief, and here is where they get together in flocks?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:08 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Quote:
Atheism is a religion like NOT collecting stamps is a hobby.

Sorry, that made it no clearer at all...

So am I a theist, because I DO NOT embrace atheism?

It simply means that Atheism is not a religion and it is not a belief system (any more than NOT collecting stamps can be considered a hobby).

It's a metafore. I can't think of any other way to explain it to you.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:09 am
@Setanta,
And why are they back again???? because I am here! Game! Set! Match!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:10 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I have heard stamp collectors talking enthusiastically about their hobby.
So have I. Are you missing the point intentionally, or did you really not get it.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:12 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
In my experience, it's only a handful of people who fail to understand. It seems usually to be fanatical and pig-headed theists.

Of course an atheist is not listed in there...Because it is probably not possible to you right?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:14 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
It simply means that Atheism is not a religion and it is not a belief system (any more than NOT collecting stamps can be considered a hobby).

It's a metafore. I can't think of any other way to explain it to you.

I could! Tell me what you do embrace, in your lifestyle, for lack of belief in Gods...
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:20 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I would say it's reasonable to say that an atheist understands not believing in god . . . obviously, you don't.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:32 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
I could! Tell me what you do embrace, in your lifestyle, for lack of belief in Gods...

I embrace the simple beauty and elegance of the natural world without hobbling it with anthropomorphic baggage.
Ceili

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:47 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
If these people cared... then they would respect my wishes and my beliefs. They don't.
Again, I don't care if you believe in the flying spaghetti monster. If I ask, then go for it. If I haven't, it's because I choose not to discuss it, get it?
I was brought up by very religious people. They didn't bother people with their beliefs. They were of the mindset that there are certain things you don't bring up in polite conversation. Sex, politics and religion.
I've blocked people on Facebook because I didn't want to see their
goofy messages. They are welcome to write whatever they want. I don't have to read it. I didn't go searching for it. It's my prerogative.
Here, though it's different because I choose to come here and discuss things.
I come here freely, to discuss whatever turns my fancy. In other words, I have invited all these opinions into my world. So, no, they are not jerks for writing what they believe. If they showed up at my door, uninvited and started spewing their beliefs, then yes, they would be jerks too.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:53 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I would say it's reasonable to say that an atheist understands not believing in god . . . obviously, you don't.

So is it fair for me to say, It is reasonable to say that a theist understands believing in God, and obviously you do not?

And I would hope this is the case! I should not understand atheism better than one, if I am not...Nor can an atheist claim they understand theism, as well as a theist does...What is your point here?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:55 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I embrace the simple beauty and elegance of the natural world without hobbling it with anthropomorphic baggage.

Still, not really clear enough, or right to the meat and potatoes....

What is the simple beauty and elegance of the natural world to you??
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:56 am
@Ceili,
Thank you!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 11:58 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Oh i understand it. The problem you have here is that you don't or can't explain your train of thought. You think that an atheist cannot have a purpose in life or any basis for a moral compass, precisely because an atheist doesn't believe in god. So, without having explained that, you demand that Roswell explain himself, rather than accepting his point of view. Neither i nor Roswell, however, have any problem understanding that theists believe that "god" gives life purpose and a moral foundation. So neither of us would ever say to you that we don't understand the importance of theism to you. We just neither believe in that, nor need it for purpose in life and a moral compass. Quite apart from that, neither of us is obliged to justiffy ourselves to you.
engineer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 12:17 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Or could it just be like I stated...Atheists generally need theists to operate on here, more than a theist does of an atheist?? simply, BECAUSE an atheist has no church, or organization...although, it is a belief, and here is where they get together in flocks?

Just look around the board. There are a lot of threads going on that have nothing to do with religion and all the same people are participating, often with differing opinions. If another "theist" topic never came up A2K would go on without missing a beat. As I said earlier, if you get in their faces, they will get in yours but otherwise they don't really care.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 12:25 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Drunk A B X @XRIS
0 Replies