Why do atheist try to convert Christians

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:45 am
@rosborne979,
I've never met anyone who goes on and on about not collecting stamps.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:46 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
Nor, try to actually make the path of future atheists that much easier??

again, you seem to think atheists and agnostics are a group that share beliefs or knowledge. that is not the case.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:46 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Oh, aren't you noble . . . and so, so superior.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:47 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
again, you seem to think atheists and agnostics are a group that share beliefs or knowledge. that is not the case.

Maybe you should tell Setanta that.
ehBeth

@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Quote:
no. atheism is not a belief or belief system.

What the hell is it exactly then? What the Hell is a rejection of a belief of Gods?

it is not a rejection of belief. it is a lack of belief ( or in the case of some agnostics, it is an expression of a lack of knowledge)

they are very different positions.
XXSpadeMasterXX

@ehBeth,
Quote:
it shows that evangelizing theists don't care about my rights - they don't care about me - they care about their head count

So sorry, you see it that way...If an atheist did that for me, it would actually back up the fact of progressing humanity...Not that I ultimately am a head count....to them...
0 Replies

Setanta

@rosborne979,
That was pretty damn good, Roswell . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:48 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Maybe you should tell Setanta that.

I believe I have.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:49 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Atheism is a religion like NOT collecting stamps is a hobby.

Sorry, that made it no clearer at all...

So am I a theist, because I DO NOT embrace atheism?
engineer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:50 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
Nor, try to actually make the path of future atheists that much easier??

To use another example, take the group of people who believe Elvis is dead. They do not routinely get together to talk about how Elvis is dead and to plot against their arch enemies - the people who think Elvis is alive, they just go about their lives. They don't spend any time thinking about dead Elvis unless someone gets in their faces saying Elvis is alive, nor do they worry about future generations of dead Elvis believers.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:51 am
@engineer,
Quote:
There is a good discussion point hidden in here. I have observed threads that are clearly "theist" and find that atheists do flock to them to tell the participants that they are delusional. I don't know that it is particularly a religion vs no religion thing or just a trait of the chat boards in general. If you post a thread saying Democrats Unite it will be immediately innundated by Republicans (and visa versa) so I think it may have more to do with the nature of Internet chat forums than a particular need for atheists to confront their religious neighbors.

You may very well be right, but I disagree...and it is because, when an atheist thread is started up...you do not see flocks of theists going there....
ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:52 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
You may very well be right, but I disagree...and it is because, when an atheist thread is started up...you do not see flocks of theists going there....

I guess you didn't see what happened to littlek's thread (were there any others?)
engineer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:53 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Of course you do. The difference on the Internet is that the social pressure not to upset theists is greatly reduced. The majority power that theists wield in everyday life is non-existent on the Internet and theists generally don't know how to respond when they don't have that tool available to them.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I don't need other people to support me in my way of thinking.

I am glad for you, that you think you know all you will need to know...without help...About 99.99999% of everyone else...needs words of encouragement...And it goes along way to help them....And the other person...

If what you say is true, you truly are a very low number, and a minority, here and in the real world....
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:55 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
The majority power that theists wield in everyday life is non-existent on the Internet

It's also non-existent over here as well.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:55 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I've never met anyone who goes on and on about not collecting stamps.

I've never seen stamp collectors trying to convince everyone that stamp collecting is the only path to salvation. If we did, then I think we would hear more Aphilatelists going on and on about it.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:57 am
@rosborne979,
I have heard stamp collectors talking enthusiastically about their hobby.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:57 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

If they all believe, or have a rejection of belief of Gods...

Then they all have one common thing in common with one another...Or knowledge...
Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:58 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
a lot of them are probably coffee drinkers as well...
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:58 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Man, you could not be any more wrong.

Clickity-click

The first theist shows up on page two, but he's a pretty good guy, and wasn't looking for trouble. The first attack theist shows up on page three, and it just goes downhill from there. Most atheists here eventually gave up on the thread, largely because of that idiot Spurious.