Why do atheist try to convert Christians

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 01:22 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
She would probably treat them like any other rational person would. Would you please join me for some tea? It is not very often that we have people speaking truth come around here. Idea

And that, is not very fair, now is it? Why is it wrong for a theist to do it? And annoying? But if an atheist, or agnostic did it, it is all the sudden a great thing? And is not annoying?

It is a double standard....That is specifically why theists do it... 2 Cents

It is irrational to think otherwise...

So whether, it is annoying or not...They are not jerks...And if an atheist, or agnostic did it, it would not all the sudden be not annoying...Or mean, they are jerks...Unless, you are being bias, and the reason it is annoying is because you reject it...

Not that what they are doing is wrong...

They think they are doing good, just as you "think" an atheist doing it to or for you, is a good thing...

Like I said, damned if you do, and damned if you do not! Exclamation

Did it occur to you, by your above statement...if an atheist did that to me, It is possible, I would find it annoying as well? And you would find it a good thing?

This proves, no one is a jerk for doing so...It is only based upon how you personally feel it relates to your life, and it's importance, and relevance....
Ceili

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:38 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Wow, I must have really got your panties in a knot.

Atheists don't knock on doors. Period. Get it. They aren't invited and they don't come back, over and over again, even though they know they aren't invited. Atheist call you out, because you go looking for it. That's why you're here. You're looking for a fight. And you won't back down or leave because you the same kind of annoying jerk as the idiots who won't leave me and my neighbours alone.
1000 years from now.. I can't predict the future, just like I can't understand how a group can hold up a bible and preach about hate, or discrimination.
From what I'm reading, it's ok for your kinda people to knock at my door now, because in a thousand years atheism will be forced down peoples throats. Maybe. Kinda like religion has done, only worse.
Dumb
Ceili

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 07:52 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I'm not sure you understand how these churches run. The Mormons and the Jehovahs collect information on the house/people that they visit. They collect this information on Computers. They use modern day collections techniques on us all. I doubt they are atheist groups who collect info they way they do, or use it like they do either.
They know when people don't want them to come to the door. They even have the audacity to come back a later dates and ask if that rule still applies. They are jerks.
When I tell them I belong to a religion, then it's a race to see if I'll convert to their religion. Or then they'll leave pamphlets as to why my choice of religion isn't a godly as theirs.
I used to be polite. I'm not anymore.
If they really gave a ****, they'd leave me alone like I asked, repeatedly. If they really gave a **** about humanity, they'd be helping the poor like the bible says. And they aren't..
There knocking at my door and they are not invited.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 08:18 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I think you are missing the point. Atheists do not go around trying to convert Christians. If you go all theist on them, they might go all atheist on you but they are not going to approach you out of the blue to "convert" you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:02 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

As I rarely ever see atheists talking amongst themselves

do you understand that you are making the point of the atheists and agnostics with this?

atheists and agnostics aren't a group in the way that groups of believers are

they're individuals who either don't know or don't believe in god/s, goddess/es, or don't care about the whole thing.

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:04 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
Did it occur to you, by your above statement...if an atheist did that to me, It is possible, I would find it annoying as well?

are atheists and/or agnostics coming to your home to find out what is lacking in your reasoning abilities?

because theists are certainly knocking on my door and telling me what I'm lacking
ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:05 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
In all of what you guys just stated, you are forgetting one thing....

Your church, is the internet

you really don't understand lack of belief at all
ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:06 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Quote:
Atheism isn't a belief unto itself. It's the product of skepticism.

Than it should be properly called a belief of skepticism....Not a rejection of a belief of Gods...

no. atheism is not a belief or belief system.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:09 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
So, you do not want fellow atheists or fellow agnostics, to search you out...And tell you what they think is morally and ethically correct??

that's right
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:12 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
You have to search atheism out, it doesn't work the other way around.

Try travelling on the London underground, you can't move for posters promoting Alain de Botton's latest work.

When the Jehovah's Witnesses last knocked on my door, they very kindly agreed to put me on a do not visit list.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:14 am
So how many atheists have knocked on your door? (Not that i'd believe you if you claimed any had.) Who forces you to read the posters on the tube, or forces you to read the books advertised there? You're a very silly boy.
Ceili

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 09:37 am
@izzythepush,
I don't know who he is.
Look, I don't care about posters, bus ads, paintings, arts, books, bibles, whatever, if they're laying about or even prominently promoted.. Advertise away. I'm sure who ever this guy is, he paid for the ads. Economics 101. I used to get the paper everyday. I rarely read the ads. It's mine and your prerogative.
When I go on holidays, I almost always search out churches because I love the architecture and stained glass. I don't think religion is all bad, and I don't think atheists are all great.
What I have a problem with is the confrontation. Especially, when they get me out of bed and they've been told not to. On many, many occasions. This has NEVER happen with atheists.
I'm on that list too. Or I should be. I had a friend who was a JC. She died, after they kindly refused a blood donation for her - she was unconscious after bleeding profusely after giving birth. These assholes didn't even say her name during the funeral and they didn't give a dime to help raise her now orphaned 4 children. When they showed up at my door with a child in tow, I told them to leave and never come back and I explained why. Every few years, they'd come a knocking asking if I've changed my mind. Since I've moved back, it's every freaking six months.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:02 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
do you understand that you are making the point of the atheists and agnostics with this?

atheists and agnostics aren't a group in the way that groups of believers are

they're individuals who either don't know or don't believe in god/s, goddess/es, or don't care about the whole thing.

No, I am not...Because if what I said is true, is seems they need believers, or someone with a belief, whether them, or a theist to operate and function...
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:04 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:
Because if what I said is true, is seems they need believers, or someone with a belief, whether them, or a theist to operate and function...

Then obviously, what you said is not true, because you aren't needed by atheists. The end of theism would simply reduce the minor annoyance level in everyday life.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:04 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
are atheists and/or agnostics coming to your home to find out what is lacking in your reasoning abilities?

because theists are certainly knocking on my door and telling me what I'm lacking

That is because there is no organization...Or church they embrace...But they certainly do it to me, here...where they get their words of encouragement....from others....and preach their scriptures....
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:05 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
you really don't understand lack of belief at all

I really do understand about as much as I already know about it...
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:08 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
What a fool . . . that's what people do here, they discuss ideas. It's pathetic that you need to have that explained to you.
Setanta

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:08 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Ah-hahahahahahahahahaha . . .
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:09 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
no. atheism is not a belief or belief system.

What the hell is it exactly then? What the Hell is a rejection of a belief of Gods?

If you embrace skepticism, science, math, evidence etc...those are the things you are...and it would make sense to call yourself something you are, based upon something you are, or do....

A rejection of a belief, to = something you in fact are...Does not make any sense at all...and why others are confused about it...You have some who say they do not believe Gods exist...Which people understand, because to me, to believe or not to believe is still a belief...To say you reject something that is not real= making you something, isn't clear, and explains nothing about who you are....
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 30 May, 2012 10:12 am
@ehBeth,
So, you do not want fellow atheists or fellow agnostics, to search you out...And tell you what they think is morally and ethically correct??

Quote:
that's right

So, I guess it is also fair to say, you do not think that enhancing your morals or ethics is important then? And you are already smart enough, and as smart as you will even need to be, and do not need to try to learn to better yourself anymore forever? Nor, try to actually make the path of future atheists that much easier??