• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,643 • Replies: 33
No top replies

samanthac

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 06:58 pm
@samanthac,
To sidetrack, I think that our ability to think has got the better of ourselves. The point where we started to depart from our individual business to develop relationships, language and thoughts gives rise to more problems. trying to come up with solutions always end up with more problems.
littlek

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:02 pm
Whatever gave you the idea that only humans think?
rosborne979

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:03 pm
@samanthac,
samanthac wrote:
To sidetrack, I think that our ability to think has got the better of ourselves. The point where we started to depart from our individual business to develop relationships, language and thoughts gives rise to more problems. trying to come up with solutions always end up with more problems.
I think your question exemplifies your thesis.
samanthac

@littlek,
maybe i should say abstract cognitive skills. something that other animals will never match up to.
rosborne979

@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Whatever gave you the idea that only humans think?
Yeh. That too.

But I think he means that only humans think to the point of distraction or delusion or whatever level of self impairment he has in mind.
samanthac

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:05 pm
@rosborne979,
would you mind expanding
samanthac

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:07 pm
@rosborne979,
my question is not related to my first post lol. the question is more suited for biology and evolution i guess
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:09 pm
@samanthac,
samanthac wrote:

would you mind expanding
I mean that philosophical questions in general (like this one) may be a good example of a sequence of thought which is to keenly focused on the minutia that it distracts the thinker from the more simple forms of interaction you were alluding to (the "Big Picture").
samanthac

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:14 pm
@rosborne979,
it seems inevitable that we head towards self destruction lol
Ding an Sich

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:41 pm
@samanthac,
samanthac wrote:

Start.

What is thinking?
Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:43 pm
@samanthac,
That "self-destruction" meme has been in play for thousands of years . . . and guess what? We're still here.
kuvasz

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:12 pm
@samanthac,
Define "think."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:18 pm
@samanthac,
Why do you use the term "empowered"? By whom? Perhaps you meant to say that only humans HAVE THE POWER to think?
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:21 pm
@samanthac,
Are you looking for the truth or a creationist point of view?
0 Replies

samanthac

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:31 pm
@Setanta,
How do you know that we will still be here thousands of years from now. And it would probably well be because of our own actions (e.g. destroying the environment)
samanthac

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:33 pm
@Ding an Sich,
be able to evaluate, analyze, predict, reflect, compare & contrast etc. higher cognitive skills that other animals do not possess

I think I was looking for a biologist to answer it. lol. sorry for the wrong post. but it could lead to something else that fits the philosophy forum
kuvasz

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 10:36 pm
@samanthac,
Those items arise from a state of self-awareness, or sentience, what some consider an affect of the soul.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 03:42 am
@samanthac,
Straw man . . . i haven't said we will be here thousands of years from now. Your hubris, however, is hilarious. Short of a thermonuclear event which were to turn the planet into an asteroid belt, there is no good reason to assume that we can destroy the environment. If, for example, we were to so poison the air and water that we could not survive, the planet would have cleaned up after us in a few decades, never mind centuries. You really overrate the significance of the human race.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:39 am
@samanthac,
Quote:
Why is it that only humans are empowered to think
Y is it that u assume (without proving) that to be true ??

David