Postcards?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 09:33 pm
arrrrrgh - i should have known that. I spent a couple of nights last week looking up things about Lisbon as a result of a discussion on another board about Pasteis de Belem. I looked at soooooo many pix of that bridge.

Now - viaducts?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 10:56 pm
Roman aquaducts. All ducks of the same feather, I'm told. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:06 pm
hbg, Your story reminded me of our cruise through the Panama Canal several years ago. The mast on our ship cleared the bridge to the entrance of the canal by only a few feet of clearance. whew! I took this for posterity.
http://photothru.com/photo_filedb1/A5/58/29/A55829/viewable/A55829_131A6F122A_1.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:11 pm
So this topic is now a travel quiz? Personally, I would like to see a whole new category, perhaps postcard photo quiz started up.

I LOVE guessing photos but not on each thread. This one was about the pleasure of postcards - the new idea of guessing all of them should be a separate thread in my opinion.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:31 pm
c.i., it's probably Italy, but....where????? Confused

Rome?
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Tue 16 Dec, 2003 11:35 pm
I vote for France.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 12:10 am
Not Rome or France.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 02:42 am
Spain?
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:41 am
ci--this is starting to remind me of your quiz on the travel board, lol..

Just mailed out £10 woth of cards, sharing the love as they say!

L Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:55 am
shoeshsarper, Yes, Spain, but where?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 10:57 am
osso, I have postcards to give away. I asked if it would be okay to present them here, and I think I got the okay. If not, I'll stop and detest.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 11:25 am
Oh, sure it's okay. I must have been in one of my crabby minutes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 11:46 am
On the aquaduct photo. I walked from the parking area onto the first street visible on the other side of the aquaduct, and went to the sorta tall building at the 'end' of that street. I went into that building, because as I recall it was a cafe or pastry shop, and had a snack. Wink
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 12:44 pm
Segovia!

Hey, c.i., you're up on the travel quiz (the one in the travel ection), as well Razz
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 01:50 pm
Is Segovia correct? Incidentally, that aquaduct looks like it is in remarkable condition, considering its age. Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 01:54 pm
Yes, it's Segovia. margo, if you want the postcard, please send me your address by PM. Wink
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 01:16 pm
I first became interested in old postcards in 1985.
At an outdoor fleamaket I happened upon some very interesting cards that depicted the state hospital where I was working. The views were from around 1908-12. I bought them and started to collect more old views of other similar hospitals.

They were variously called: 'state hospital' 'insane hospital' and even 'lunatic asylum'.

Although I went on to collect other categories of postcards, I still have my asylum collection consisting of about 100 views of approximately fifty hospitals.

Today, quite by accident, I stumbled upon a website someone had created that featured HIS collection of asylum postcards.
http://postcards.abandonedasylum.com/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
jjorge, I must ask you this question. What is the attraction for collecting asylum postcards?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 06:58 pm
ASYLUM POSTCARDS - interesting. just got a book up from the downstairs library (the basement). it's a german book about hospital postcards; called in german : "hier liegt mein mann und laesst schoen gruessen " , loosely translated ; "hier lies my husband and sends his greetings". it was published in 1978 by HERR AXEL HINRICH MURKEN, WISSENSCHAFTLICHER RAT UND PROFESSOR AM INSTITUT FUER THEORIE UND GESCHICHTE DER MEDIZIN DER WESTFAELISCHEN WILHELMS-UNIVERSITAET MUENSTER (he is a big cheese at the university muenster - which isn't far from walter's abode). while most of the postcards shown are probably unused, some have rather interesting notes, such as :" herr pfarrer(pastor), i do not know how long i will have to stay in bed. cannot go to church yet because of sore feet" , and another asking :"dear conrad, please bring applecake and something nice for coffeetime". anyone interested in postcard collecting will probably find it useful to aquire a handbook/collector's guide. the one i use is simply called "POSTCARDS" and is from the (british) PHILLIPS COLLECTOR GUIDES - ehbeth gave it to me some years ago and i find it quite handy. if you have any older, postally used cards, you might want to check the postal cancellations. some of the the cancellations are quite highly prized (and priced) such as : 1st flight cancellations, posted aboard ships and field-post cancellations. happy collecting ! hbg
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2003 07:02 pm
c.i.

I guess it's an acquired taste. Smile

As I stated above I WORKED in one such place, and when I saw 'old time' pictures of it, I was fascinated.

there's a lot of HISTORY in old postcards including social history.

In fact in the late seventies I used to teach an undergraduate course on the history of social welfare, and I have always been fascinated --often appalled-- by the various institutions that society evolved to deal with the poor, the aged, the blind, mentally ill, epileptics, retardates etc etc.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Postcards?
  3. » Page 6
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 09:38:59