Postcards?

Lorna

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:38 pm
Hi,

I collect postcards. Anyone know of any good collector's sites where I can buy more?

Thanks,

Lorna
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,565 • Replies: 123
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:56 pm
Lorna, I have some left-over post cards from my travels. If you provide your mailing address, I'd be more than happy to 'give' them to you. You can contact me at: <<[email protected]>> c.i. Very Happy
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 06:29 pm
Lorna

I collect postcards too. I 'haven't gotten cards via the web as yet.

I get most of my cards from dealers who set up at the monthly meeting of the Rhode Island Post Card Club. Although I've also found them at flea markets, yard sales and, of course, at auctions.

I have a couple of thousand cards. Most are from the 1905-1925 era although I have cards from the thirties, forties , fifties and a few newer ones from the sixties and seventies.

I have a mostly local views, main streets etc but I also have other types.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 04:06 pm
Most of mine are from my travels or friends/penpals sending them to me. I also buy from the the racks in front of tourist shops, and get all the free ones in movie theatres. I asked for websites because when I do searches I get loads of post card albums for sale, which isn't what I'm after!

Thanks, cicerone impostor, but the best part for me is picking out cards/getting my own...don't take from others as it's not 'my' collection...I'm wierd that way. Thanks anyway!

Lorna
Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:25 pm
Lorna,

Have you tried to start a pen pal thing? Because I'm sure there are people here who would exchange postcards. I just tossed a few hundred postcards that I couldn't pack and I always get them from friends.

If you don't mind giving your address (or a PO box) you could exchange post cards with people all over from your site, here or elsewhere.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:41 pm
Craven- Do you know the computer game Clickomania? The young man who wrote the program called it, postcard ware. At one time, the author asked that in payment, the recipients should send him a postcard.

At the last upgrade, I learned that the game was now freeware, not postcard ware. When I went into the help file, I found this:

Quote:
"I have made Clickomania freeware from the version 4.1, because I have been taken by surprise by the success of the game. It takes me a lot of time to answer all the mails and to collect all the beautiful postcards, which I get from all over the world. Besides - I cannot move anymore, because all the cards wouldn't find their way at my place anymore. That's why I decided to make the program freeware - with a heavy heart, after all!
Please notice, that the game is not public domain.

Clickomania! Matthias Schüssler, 2000"

So be careful what you ask for- you may just get it!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 07:56 pm
Phoenix, That is almost funny! When I travel, I always take address labels of friends and family, with the good intention of sending postcards from distant places. I even buy some postcards to write and send. But, lo and behold, when I unpack my bags upon arrival at home, I find some 'extra' postcards - even some postage stamps I can't possibly use from the US. ha, ha, ha.... the jokes on me. c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 08:03 pm
c.i.- I have visions of this poor guy, opening his mailbox, only to have thousands of cards falling out! Laughing

http://sc.communities.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/47/11e0.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 09:25 pm
Phoenix, Some time in our life, we get more than what we expected of a good thing. Ask and ye shall receive.... c.i. Wink
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:14 pm
Craven,

I have lots of penpals, sometimes I get entire letters on a couple of numbered cards!

c.i,

When I go somewhere, I always tell people I'll send them a postcard- I buy two of the same, so there's one for me as well, lol

phoenix,

Cool mailbox pic!

Oh, and anyone ever thought of asking for postcards as Christmas cards? A friend mentioned it and I think it's a pretty cool idea...

Lorna
Smile
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2002 03:22 pm
(jjorge, feeling a little lonely)

Is there anyone out their who collects antique postcards? Sad
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 05:06 pm
Some of mine look antique, does that count, lol Smile ?

Lorna
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 06:44 pm
LOrna, Some of the cards I send to my wife from some foreign countries look like they're antique too! LOL Often times, I get home before the postcard. Talk about slow mail service, sometimes the card arrives several weeks after my return home. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
I feel like sharing so if anyone wants any of the following cards from:

Dublin (including Guiness selection)
NYC, LI
Scotland

or:

Magic Eye
Art cards
Butterfly cards
Advert cards

Send me a PM with your address, and I'll send them out! Smile

Trading is good, but not compulsary!

Thanks,
L Smile
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:43 am
jjorge... I used to. Again, mostly Main Street...

haven't for years... I've got other excuses to go antiquing, but when I was young and foolish it was something I could afford to purchase while browsing.

Happy hunting Lorna.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:32 am
I don't collect anything, but could send a card to anyone who wants one. If anyone wants a card from New Mexico, I mean.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:12 pm
Thanks SealPoet Smile

that's one of the places I don't have covered, roger... Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:14 pm
So, tell me where to send it and it's yours. Generally, what are you looking for? It will have to be something currently available Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:35 pm
Well, want to get one from every place around the globe, and then vintage ones and artsy ones (paintings, photo-cards, abstract art), then I'm going for cards that are used as advertisements, and movie cards. Right now I pick up whatever strikes my fancy, and appreciate whatever people decide to send me. I'm very into RAKs, and always reciprocate.

Saying that, and card from my above list that would interest you, roger?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:11 pm
Lorna, there are some (one in particular I'm thinking of) postcard shops in the Village and Soho in NYC, if you get there. In Soho, wander down West Broadway, taking a few of the side streets now and then, exploring....

But for easy access to postcards and a fatal addiction (seriously), try EBay. Bye bye this week's income; bye bye spare time...!

Fatal addiction. You have my sympathies.

P.S. David Hockney once wrote a postcard size book about art postcards, their relationship to the actual painting...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Postcards?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:04:07