Postcards?

roger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:22 pm
I don't collect much of anything, Lorna, though stuff has a way of accumulating. Tourists cards I could get on a weekend, historical might take longer. Let me know.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 10:04 am
Tartarin wrote:
Lorna, there are some (one in particular I'm thinking of) postcard shops in the Village and Soho in NYC, if you get there. In Soho, wander down West Broadway, taking a few of the side streets now and then, exploring....

But for easy access to postcards and a fatal addiction (seriously), try EBay. Bye bye this week's income; bye bye spare time...!

Fatal addiction. You have my sympathies.

P.S. David Hockney once wrote a postcard size book about art postcards, their relationship to the actual painting...

Tartarin,

I think I've been to that shop you mention, and it's lovely!

I've vowed to stay away from ebay, although I think it's a wonderful thing, I need to watch my student pennies, lol...

I am addicted, when I started this thread it was just something I did, now it's like: Hi, my name is Lorna, and I collect postcards, LOL!

I have several books that are just cards, but I'll look into the one you mentioned. My most recent purchases are 30 Edward Hopper cards (I have his paintings, and the cards are just icing) and 30 Leni Lefinshtahl (sp?) cards (willing to trade some, btw Smile )

Are you a card collecter, Tartarin?

L Smile

___

Roger, touristy would do, but only if you have some laying around, don't go to any trouble...I'll send you a PM with my address....Thanks!

L Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 10:20 am
Lorna - I've got shoeboxes full of postcards back at hamburger's house. He collects old cards and stamps. Has some interesting things.

My best friend (for the past 30 years) and I used to send each other envelopes full of postcards on which letters were written - sometimes 7 or 8 cards in an envelope.

I still pick cards/postcards up as I wander around.

If you'd like, send me a PM with your address, and I'll send you a few cards as I wander about (and maybe just send a few cards in an envelope).

Beth
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 10:20 am
I have some, Lorna, in connection with a project I'm working on. And I got pretty much all of them from EBay.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 10:53 am
Lorna - these aren't postcards to buy - but i love to look at this sort of old card collection http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/mi/ppcs-mi.html
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 11:12 am
Tartarin--What sort of project are you working on?

Beth--Vintage postcards are wonderful...LOL, I have one from Hell, Michigan!

L Smile
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 12:27 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Lorna - these aren't postcards to buy - but i love to look at this sort of old card collection http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/mi/ppcs-mi.html

Hi ehBeth!

Nice link. that's the kind of cards I collect. My scanner isn't working right now but when it's fixed I'll put up some beauties.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 12:53 pm
I don't really collect them as such but i have a scrapbook of postcards that i treasure.

They were sent by my grandmother to her mother from holidays and visits to friends from about 1918 to 1930. The stuff written is as interesting as the cards with its insight into the era - one early one talks about sending some stuff on the 'carrier' next time it comes (horse drawn).
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 01:02 pm
Vivien, what a piece of family history...wonderful hierlooms to have!

Hi jjorge!

L Smile
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 06:15 pm
hi, lorna : i've put together a collection of postcards over the years, oldest ones are from the 1890's. as a kid i collected a few and at one time got a postcard album from a grand-aunt of mine (my mother was not pleased, "they smell MUFFIG" she said - do i HAVE to translate from the german, i didn't think so). added to it over the years, but have not bought many. sometimes you can get some bargains at local stamp exhibitions, when stamp dealers/collectors want to get rid of cards where the stamps may not be 1st grade. i know of some german sites that sell postcards, but they are pretty well all collector grade and quite expensive. i'll try to find a site and you can at least look at them or even print them out. here's to collecting ! (i also have a small collection of old letters that i treasure; the oldest one goes back to about 1840). hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 06:23 pm
lorna : here is a german site that has 1,000's of cards for viewing(and sale). i have fun just looking at them. hbg www.ak-ansichtskarten.de/xxxframe.php4
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 06:27 pm
www.ak-ansichtskarten.de/xxxframe.php4 this a site for loads of german postcards. click on the postman and select one of the categories. hbg
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 08:28 pm
Here's an interesting site:

http://vintagepostcards.com/index.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 10:59 pm
Jjorge, hi, first of all, and then, on postcards I do collect, but selectively.

I have some early 1900's postcards, but my main interest is interesting landscape photos from where/ever. I get most of mine from the odd thrift shop or Olde Book Store type place.
I have people "hiking" on Chamonix in their early 1900's duds, and various other explorations. I like the old photos as postcards....

I like all these for sort of aesthetic reasons, and don't keep every one I run across.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:26 am
Gee, I'm glad to stumble across this discussion. I collected postcards for some years, and stopped about ten years ago for some reason. After reading all your comments I am fired up all over again and am going to exhume my collection from wherever it is hiding.

I did most of my collecting when we lived in Miami. I had several friends who were stamp dealers. They would give me cartons of postcards to take home over a weekend, to pick out what I wanted -- probably at a nickel a pop, regardless of age, condition or anything, so I made out like a bandit. I was in hog heaven.

I have a few Tuck cards, but most are just things that interested me -- early Florida, railroads, train stations, and especially colleges and universities. I try not to keep anything much older than 1920.

Just handling postcards is fun, and the messages on the back are the icing on the cake.
0 Replies

shoesharper

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 03:30 am
Slight error there. I meant that I didn't keep anything YOUNGER than 1920, if that makes any sense.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 10:38 am
Some of the messages are priceless. I have some oldies with exquisite penmanship and finely wrought sentiments..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 11:10 am
<note to self - get cards for Lorna into the mail!>
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 03:19 pm
Just checking in today, and noticed new posts...groovy. People have interesting collection interests, ie..what you go for, timeframes, etc..nice to hear your stories! And thanks for the links!

Beth, no rush... Smile

thank you to roger for the most recent one!

L Very Happy
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 03:21 pm
shoesharper wrote:
Slight error there. I meant that I didn't keep anything YOUNGER than 1920, if that makes any sense.

It does, lol!

L Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Postcards?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:00:32