Postcards?

Lorna

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:28 pm
is the picture Poland or Russia?

and

is anyine thinking of giving postcards for Christmas instead of Christmas cards?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:56 pm
i wouldn't be surprised if i got at least one postcard from hamburger. I often find a postcard or first day cover in my Christmas parcel.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 02:35 pm
Not Poland or Russia.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 06:56 pm
No but I have done that. We have a building in our town, the Carson Mansion - a Victorian extravaganza - that is all decked out with lights, and has been photo'd as a striking postcard.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:15 pm
c.i. : i'd say it is SOMEWHERE in turkey - i did cheat; i typed BURADA into google; there are actually quite a few entries under BURADA. hbg www.hepsiburada.com/
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:22 pm
everyone : i think i found the turkish equivalent of "able2know" ! how is the command of the turkish language out there in able2know land ? hbg >>>>>> www.secin.com/forum/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 07:48 pm
Well, we do have a few linguists...
Not me, however.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 08:11 pm
all the turkish i know, is the turkish word for what as kids we called TUERKISCHER HONIG (turkish honey); i believe it is called "LOCUM". it was a white and red sugar confection that we bought from street vendors. the vendors had little handcarts on which they carried a large block of this stuff; a portion would be chopped off with a little, sharp axe/chopping knife(SCIMITAR -?- in turkish, i believe) and wrapped in a piece of waxpaper . YUMMY ! i'm sure some of my cavities can be traced back to gobbling up this stuff. hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 11:04 am
hbg, Right! It's Istanbul. Cheat heh? Smile Send me your address by PM, and I'll send it forward.
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:27 pm
Glad someone got it...learn somethin new everyday...

Postcards going out this week to Beth and Roger...PM me your address and you'll get a Scotland card or an art card in the mail soon... Very Happy

Get ready, get set...PM me, lol... Very Happy

and osso, that souds like a lovely card...

L Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 03:40 pm
I've got plenty of postcards ready to be offered. Want to play some more? Wink
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:10 pm
Sounds like a cool idea... Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:24 pm
Where?
http://photothru.com/photo_filedb1/A5/58/29/A55829/viewable/A55829_131A6ED2A129_1.jpg
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:39 pm
Venice?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 04:55 pm
Nope, not Venice.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 12:06 pm
hi, c. i. : thanks for your kind offer wanting to send me the istanbul p.c. perhaps you may want to offer it as a prize in some other contest. while i would love to have another postcard, i MUST begin to be sensible (at my age ? ha !). my collection of books, photos, stamps, postcards(i must have several 100's of them) seems to be taking over my life AND our house ! mrs. h does give me lots of room in the house to store my collections and even encourages me to buy more books etc. for my pleasure, but i am beginning to realize that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH . problem is, when we are travelling i always find some books etc. that i MUST have. even on our fall trip to gemany/switzerland where we travelled light(only two carry-ons), i managed to stuff several books, a bunch of postcards and travel-brochures into nooks and crannies in the carry-ons (they were actually so heavy, we had to check them in - but i did have good intentions !). so, thanks again, c.i. ! hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 12:43 pm
hbg, On my last trip to China, we met a guy that loves to buy antique books in the language of the country he visits. He purchased about six books while on our tour, and that made me wonder what he does with books he can't even read. LOL
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 12:45 pm
This is so cool!

When I lived in London, I absolutely loved the flea markets but had no money. So what I did buy tended to be very cheap, like postcards. One of my favorites is a victorian era scene of a lady sitting on a garden wall, thinking of being kissed by her paramour (kind of a thought-baloon thing), and the verse,

"When lips meet lips
In one sweet kiss
The world seems fair
And full of bliss."

Sent it to E.G. at the time, framed now. It's hokey and everso Victorian, but I like it.

I got a really cool old birth announcement post card that I photoshopped with custom text and used for (one of) sozlet's birth announcements:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/dcc936cb/bc/My+Photos/__sr_/Announcement+with+text+removed.jpg?phsOL3_A6xe_yOaf

(Text removed.)

I have a few more along those lines, slightly off preferred, definitely old (Victorian --> 20's).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 12:48 pm
Oh, wish I still had our moving announcement scanned -- an old postcard of a girl being pulled along in a cart by an alligator, orange trees in the background, an old (1910?) CA promo card. Said "see ya later, alligator" on the back. :-D
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2003 12:48 pm
sozobe, One of the things I love to do when I visit a foreign country is to look at their greeting cards. I think I would buy some to use at home, but have never done so. Wasted opportunities. I think they would be really nice for home(US) use. I like your idea. Wink
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Postcards?
  3. » Page 4
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 06:59:26