i have so many questions.

Fido

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:21 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

We have THE CONCEPT of "bad" in order to have THE CONCEPT of "good". The ACTUAL ACTIONS that we may label "bad" are not necessary to have the ACTUAL ACTIONS we may able "good." An important distinction.
No... A concept needs the thing conceived... Moral forms are not true concepts... So we say good is not bad, and bad is not good.. Those are not definitions but simply the contrast of opposites...
hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:22 pm
@Fido,
well, i just said something along those lines, fido. but ok.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:24 pm
@whyisitso,
whyisitso wrote:

alright. all good answers. thank you all. but what motivates the human brain to want more, need more, when all animals have what they need? what pushes us to create, in other: fire, weapons, and order in our civilization? why DON'T we have anarchy when centipedes eat each other alive, and wolves fight to become the new chief?
It is not the brain that wants... Not even the mind that wants since the existence of the mind is yet to be proved... People want, and often want to excess...I think it comes out of seeing all survival as individual, and it is not... Survival depends upon the group survival, and for the most part, because of philosophy and psychology we are all cut off from support groups, and so the greatest pain most of us will ever suffer is a profound lonliness...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:25 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

...which is an extreme way of saying we need bad to have good.
Do you think they do not desire their neighbors wife there, or his money???...

yes.
Maybe I should be going to your church...
hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:28 pm
@Fido,
we'd be glad to have one more person to sing songs with and take money from...
hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:29 pm
@whyisitso,
whyisitso wrote:

my goal in life is to get a Ph.D in philosophy.

at least you know what you want to do in your life....
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:44 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

we'd be glad to have one more person to sing songs with and take money from...
Clearly, you have never heard me sing...
hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:45 pm
@Fido,
clearly, youve never heard people in my church sing...
Fido

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 07:04 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

clearly, youve never heard people in my church sing...
Thank God for ear buds and good jams..
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:01 am
@whyisitso,
whyisitso wrote:

alright. all good answers. thank you all. but what motivates the human brain to want more, need more, when all animals have what they need? what pushes us to create, in other: fire, weapons, and order in our civilization? why DON'T we have anarchy when centipedes eat each other alive, and wolves fight to become the new chief?
its all instinct. we are all pack animals, just in a more "sophisticated" way. we are ants, but each one a one man hive. if you want insight on this sort of thing, you ought to read "ender's game". its one of my personal favorites.
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:32 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

whyisitso wrote:

its all instinct. we are all pack animals, just in a more "sophisticated" way. we are ants, but each one a one man hive. if you want insight on this sort of thing, you ought to read "ender's game". its one of my personal favorites.
I have to get going; but you said something correct, but nearly backwards... Every hive of insects is the equal of a single individual... In point of fact; our worst sorts of troubles result from the denial of our social nature, and we force ourselves by our individualism to submit to injury that in former times our communities would help to defend us from... We should stand together, but even when we join unions we do so with resistence and reluctence fearful we will lose our essential oneness...Never mind that the individual alone is as sterile as a hive alone... Actually, the hive might live longer than the human alone...
hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 07:51 am
@Fido,
you once said that no one is truely individual. also,you said to be a"individual" is to be criminal...
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:02 am
@whyisitso,
It seems moderation isn't instinctual in humans. If it's available we'll take it, use it, eat it, generally speaking.

Also in general, most animals don't have what they need. In the wild survival is a constant struggle.

Centipedes eating other centipedes may seem anarchical, but enough of them don't eat others to the point that centipede cannibalism hasn't endangered centipede species survival. To this day some human beings practice cannibalism, but I wouldn't call it anarchical.

Humans also compete to establish hierarchies at every social strata.
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:31 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

you once said that no one is truely individual. also,you said to be a"individual" is to be criminal...
It is... No one can be an individual short of stepping outside the bounds of society, and crime is one expression of it....Art is another, and it is closely related to crime, in that no one can be a good artist without the willingness to go beyond accepted norms... But; human beings are dieocious, did I spell that right??? We need to pair up to breed, and we need to learn to say please and thank you and wash the toilet once in a damned while....This very act is one of socialization, but is one even once celled organizms do not have to perform... The amazing thing is that people want to think of themselves as individuals as though that some how shows they are different... That word does not... An individual brick is like every other brick in the wall... It is the same as every other brick... What we want to do is deny the power of the group over us, and say we stand apart; but we do not stand apart especially if every other one is doing the same thing, asserting their independence... What does the word mean??? Not dividable, a unit... What does that say??? For the purposes of the essential business of life and individual as we think of him or her has already been divided to far to be fertile... The individual human is more like a man and woman todgether, and when we say individual today what we mean is individual man, or individual woman... It is all nonsense... We are social, and should accept that fact, and make the best of the forms of relationship we have or can find...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:32 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It seems moderation isn't instinctual in humans. If it's available we'll take it, use it, eat it, generally speaking.

Also in general, most animals don't have what they need. In the wild survival is a constant struggle.

Centipedes eating other centipedes may seem anarchical, but enough of them don't eat others to the point that centipede cannibalism hasn't endangered centipede species survival. To this day some human beings practice cannibalism, but I wouldn't call it anarchical.

Humans also compete to establish hierarchies at every social strata.
Moderation is a social skill; and essential to socialization...
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 11:37 am
@whyisitso,
The meaning of life is actually a very simple answer (at least the generalized answer). The meaning of life, is to grow. Now in which way you grow and how you grow depends all on you and only you can answer that. You can have people help and guide you and help open your eyes to different things to help increase your awareness on how you may want to grow. That's kind of also the same answer to why were are here.
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 01:42 pm
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

The meaning of life is actually a very simple answer (at least the generalized answer). The meaning of life, is to grow. Now in which way you grow and how you grow depends all on you and only you can answer that. You can have people help and guide you and help open your eyes to different things to help increase your awareness on how you may want to grow. That's kind of also the same answer to why were are here.
I would have to disagree... When people say the meaning of life they are thinking there is some meaning apart from life, that on the one hand, you have life, and on the other hand, meaning... Life is all meaning... All the meaning we will ever have we have with life... Death robs us of all meaning... It is in relation to life that all other things have value, which is to say: Meaning... If a thing is thought essential to life it will have great meaning... Shall I go on???
hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 02:11 pm
@Fido,
AAAHHH!!! yes! please go on!
0 Replies

Chights47

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 03:26 pm
@Fido,
I actually would like for you to go on. I do however, disagree with your statement. Generally, when people ask about the meaning of life, they're asking about purpose. What is our purpose on this planet, what are we meant to do here. There are a lot of other questions that go along with that as well. life doesn't really have anything to do with since it's more of a question of our consciousness and our interactions with the world around us. Life isn't meaning, it's what we do with our lives that is meaningful, our purpose.
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:47 pm
@Chights47,
Chights47 wrote:

I actually would like for you to go on. I do however, disagree with your statement. Generally, when people ask about the meaning of life, they're asking about purpose. What is our purpose on this planet, what are we meant to do here. There are a lot of other questions that go along with that as well. life doesn't really have anything to do with since it's more of a question of our consciousness and our interactions with the world around us. Life isn't meaning, it's what we do with our lives that is meaningful, our purpose.
Then perhaps the question should be about purpose; because while meaning and value are roughly the same in use, and what we value most we also find the most meaning in, the same cannot be said except as an abstraction of purpose... People who love Gold because of what Gold symbolizes: power, wealth, luxury, security also find their purpose in the accumulation of it, and find great meaning and value in Gold...From this perspective the Muslims are correct about us that we are infidels, slaves to them, because a casual look at our check books will tell what God we most prize... Yet; generally, we are a spiritual people, and have even went to wars of choice for spiritualism against nominally materialistic nations though it may seem a silly thing to fight over and kill for... Most of the goods for which this country was formed are spiritual goods, Moral virtues; and while they have not ever been realized, neither have they been defined... If we could define good we might pursue it, and have it; but short of a definition we might as well chase clouds of vapor... The reason the materialists win in this world is that what they seek is so readily captured, and what the spiritual seek is so elusive... What is happiness after all that government should care about it??? That man who seeks pure profit even if at the expense of the people at least can point to numbers on a page, statistics, results... Let the people chase their rainbows and see how far that gets them...