what is the first film you remember watching?

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It gave me nightmares. It wasn't the ugly wicked witch that scared me so much. It was the green face, or green mirror, (whatever it was) that talked back to the mean Queen before she turned into a witch.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 07:30 pm
I'm soooooooo olllllllllllld, the first movie in a theater was Bells of St. Mary's with Bing Crosby and someone, oh, maybe Ann Blyth. Bambi, my father brought a copy of the film home, that was in '49, or '50, he must have somehow got it from work (RKO Pathe). Stunned me, it did. I was totally blown away, though 'blown away' wouldn't become a useful phrase for a few decades. Between the Bells and Bambi, I must have seen Dumbo and Snow White, etc., but not sure of their release years. Saw Cinderella in downtown New York City, must have been 1950, or late '49.

Watership Down, much later of course - I never saw the movie but read the book as an adult and, yes, cried.

Didn't see The Third Man until years later, at a revival theater. Hearing about it makes me want to rent it...

I sure wish they'd bring revival theaters back. I suppose they didn't pay, although the Fox Venice often had a full house or close to it. Maybe if a revival theater had a movie book store, and movie rental place, plus coffee shop and even fern bar.... Well, gee, the odd comfy chair.. or maybe all cushy, like the Century Plaza used to be, maybe still is. (that's where I saw Star Wars, from the seond row.... and that wasn't MY choice.)

It's so convenient to watch at home, especially if you have a big screen telly, but the sense of Audience watching closely is hard to beat, with a film like Third Man.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:37 am
ossobuco wrote:

Watership Down, much later of course - I never saw the movie but read the book as an adult and, yes, cried.

Didn't see The Third Man until years later, at a revival theater. Hearing about it makes me want to rent it....

The Third Man is the untimate film noir, literally. It's all dark and shadowy, and here's this evil Harry Lime (Orson Wells) who you really want to like despite his crimes. And the sewer scene and the relentless zither music...I've got to buy this video.

I reread Watership Down recently, and it was just as wonderful as the first time. The movie was a big letdown. The animation was poor with way too few cels. For instance, a rabbit climbing up the huge downs did it in three bounds. Disney could make a wonderful production of it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:42 am
Hazlitt: Great signature! I never heard that quote before.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:44 am
Hazlitt: Great signature! I never heard that Yogi Berra quote before.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 12:45 am
I liked much of film noir and some tough films that I don't know to categorize as noir or not. Would have to think re titles, some fight oriented films, crime flicks. Sturdy films..
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
it was either Jaws or SW.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 11:20 pm
I donĀ“t remember...
0 Replies