Is this for real?

RexRed

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:13 am
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 11:57 am
As Paul Harvey would say, here's the rest ... of ... the ... STORY
Quote:

U.S. Park Police arrested five people on Saturday at the Jefferson Memorial. Their offense? Dancing.

The dancers were protesting an appeals court ruling handed down last week that the national monuments are places for reflection and contemplation -- and that dancing distracted from such an experience.

In 2008, Mary Brooke Oberwetter and a group of friends went to the Jefferson to commemorate the president's 265th birthday by dancing silently, while listening to music on headphones. Park Police ordered the revelers to disperse and arrested them when they did not.

Oberwetter sued on free speech grounds, but the appeals court ruled last week that her conduct was indeed prohibited "because it stands out as a type of performance, creating its own center of attention and distracting from the atmosphere of solemn commemoration" that Park Service regulations are designed to preserve.

Whereas Oberwetter and her friends visited the Jefferson near midnight, Saturday's protest was staged during the day, on Memorial Day weekend, in order to draw maximum attention. The organizers issued a public call for photographers and videographers to document the event, and the inevitable arrests (watch below).

According to Dcist, the dancers were charged with demonstrating without a permit and released.

A few personal observations:

1. Anyone participating in a flash mob should be arrested. That just goes without saying.

2. Anyone who "dances silently, while listening to music on headphones" should be beaten with sticks.

3. Anyone who participates in an illegal demonstration for the purposes of drawing attention to the "inevitable arrests," and then who complains about being inevitably arrested, should be lashed until they can no longer stand.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:34 pm
Well this is one protest I am on the fence about. I can see how the protesters instigated the police but I really don't see the harm in a little public dancing even at public monuments. Even without a permit... If the cops come along and say time to go now, enough is enough, the protesters should oblige and disperse. Then everyone gets their way.

Dancing is certainly a lot less offensive than a couple gratuitously making out I guess or someone shouting that Jesus is coming back and we are all going to hell.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 06:15 pm
Last week, my husband and I were in SD.

We made it a point to kiss each other in every park, memorial, attraction, cave, etc. whether man made or natural. I'm not talking about a quick peck on the lips either, it was full body embrace. Sometimes we were alone, other times there were people all around.

On the Sioux reservation, we stopped the car at the top of a very large hill, were we could see for miles and miles around. It was a very very reflective place. There, we not only kissed, but danced in a slow circle for quite some time, while I hummed a spur of the moment, made up song. I'll always remember those moments.

From what I can see, there was no disruption until the park police made one.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 06:22 pm
@chai2,
I'm mixed on this one.

My husband and I walked and walked from late night until early morning and saw the Jefferson Memorial by ourselves, no one else visable. I would have been bitchy if silent dancers were wafting on my one chance to see it, especially in that circumstance.

On the other hand, maybe I might have liked that. Hard to say.
I'll vote slightly on the side of bitchy.
chai2

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 06:45 pm
@ossobuco,
If someone was doing some Twyla Tharp for Bob Fossi (see video below, starting at 3:00) I might feel intruded upon.
A couple hugging and rocking back and forth? Sober, not all grabby?

I don't think Tom Jefferson would have been insulted.

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:06 pm
Kick up your heels one more time and you go to jail... Wasn't that a cigarette commercial or the end of some TV series show where the lead actor would jump up in the air and kick their heels together? My memory fails me Smile

Spree, Kools or Andy Griffith or something... No more hat and a tap dance at the town square.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:12 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Last week, my husband and I were in SD.

We made it a point to kiss each other in every park, memorial, attraction, cave, etc. whether man made or natural. I'm not talking about a quick peck on the lips either, it was full body embrace. Sometimes we were alone, other times there were people all around.

On the Sioux reservation, we stopped the car at the top of a very large hill, were we could see for miles and miles around. It was a very very reflective place. There, we not only kissed, but danced in a slow circle for quite some time, while I hummed a spur of the moment, made up song. I'll always remember those moments.

From what I can see, there was no disruption until the park police made one.
Yes we have your entire vacation all captured on video and plan to release it in brilliant and stunning HD on youtube. Smile

(just kidding) hehe
0 Replies