Hedge or fence?

Assanya

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 03:51 am
@jcboy,
What types of ground cover are available?
Formal Hedge Example
First you need to decide whether to create a formal or informal hedge - A formal coverage is that it is perfectly pruned
once a year all gardeners, but many choose not to prune meet twice a year, once in the spring and then again in mid-summer to keep it looking clean and tidy coverage throughout the year. A formal hedge is basically one that can be left to grow wild and can include many varieties of ground cover and usually requires less maintenance, and only needs to be pruned, if you want to control the height.
Example of informal coverage
You also need to decide whether to create an evergreen hedge is that keeps its leaves during the winter or a deciduous hedge which is otherwise the drops its leaves during winter. The advantage of an evergreen hedge is that it is almost impossible for all the ways to see through, regardless of the season, but there is often much choice if you are willing to consider a deciduous hedge.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 05:06 am
Hedge or fence?

my rule, where bets are concerned i hedge, if stolen property is concerned i fence
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 09:41 am
@jcboy,
The hedge is really starting to fill in. It’s almost to the top of the pillars.

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9521/hedges4.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:06 am
@jcboy,
I got nothin. Cept that some viburna really stink, almost as bad as ginko berries.

Sorta chemical rot smell.

We have a viburnum cottlei(?) and it smells like honey every spring and it produces berries for our winter birdies.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:11 am
@jcboy,
Oh wow, that stuff grows fast. Looks just marvelous, jcboy!
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:12 am
@farmerman,
I love to alternate some bushes like burning bush mixed with something else
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:17 am
@farmerman,
farmer, but when you want a hedge, isn't a uniform line better than having different bushes that grow at a different pace ?
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:24 am
@CalamityJane,
Thats why we invented the CHAIN SAW.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:33 am
@farmerman,
Oh you Americans!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:37 am
@CalamityJane,
Thanks Jane. I trimmed it a couple of times just so it would spread out, and it did.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 10:38 am
@farmerman,
I put this arbor in the backyard and planted jasmine on both sides. It’s growing like crazy.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7871/arbor4.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2011 12:41 pm
@jcboy,
very neat. I like the look. Whenever I was down in the lower Fla area , I was always hit with the neat smells of plants and flowers. Up here we have just a couple times in the spring and early summer and then all the smells go away
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 11:41 am
@jcboy,
I had to go to Home Depot to purchase some insect killer. The hedge I planted was covered with whiteflies this morning.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:24 pm
@jcboy,
Be careful about the products you buy - hopefully everything was non-toxic for the dogs, tortoises and kid.

You can treat a lot of bugs (including whitefly) with remedies you make at home.
jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2012 12:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Really I didn’t know that.

The hedge is in the front so the dogs are never out there and we never let Antonio play in the front, but I will have to look up taking care of whiteflies. They just appeared out of nowhere, and quickly!
jcboy

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2012 10:50 am
@jcboy,
The hedge I planted really took off and has filled in nicely. The front yard is very private. And soon we will be moving!

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/16/82603162.jpg

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg812/scaled.php?server=812&filename=57799049.jpg&res=landing
0 Replies