how would you fix the world?

hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:10 am
@Cyracuz,
isnt all phylosophy?
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:39 am
@hamilton,
I know many people like to indulge themselves with fantasies about what they would do if they had insane amounts of money, but I hardly think that constitutes philosophy.
The question about how I would fix the world is similar, unless you start by clearly defining what is wrong with it in the first place and why it needs fixing. There is by no means consensus on this, and in my opinion, this approach is self-serving, in that what you achieve is perhaps feeling better about yourself for a while, but nothing is actually done to really improve on anyone's situation.

A better question would perhaps be "what can you change about how you live in order to "fix the world".
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:44 am
@Cyracuz,
There have been some individuals who have improved the world, but also many who have done it harm.

Where that divide between good and harm is set is not clear.

"How I would fix the world" is an oxymoron. We can only fix ourselves.
hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 11:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

There have been some individuals who have improved the world, but also many who have done it harm.
its a pretty bad ratio...
cicerone imposter wrote:

Where that divide between good and harm is set is not clear.
the road to hell is paved by good and bad intentions...
cicerone imposter wrote:

"How I would fix the world" is an oxymoron. We can only fix ourselves.

definately!
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:21 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

I meant that it is a rather silly question because it is a "what if" that is totally imaginary. It's a bit like the question "what would you do if you had a million dollars?" Fun to think about sometimes, but ultimately fruitless.

true

but to " up " the planets overall standard of living would be a good start though
Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 03:46 am
@north,
Yes, but first we would have to agree on what is a good standard of living.
I heard somewhere that the highest rates of suicide are found in the countries that supposedly have the highest standard of living.
Welfare is a good thing, healthcare, education and human rights are worth the effort, but there is a lot of bs associated with a high living standard that I think we would be better off without.
north

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 09:13 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Yes, but first we would have to agree on what is a good standard of living.

agreed

Quote:
I heard somewhere that the highest rates of suicide are found in the countries that supposedly have the highest standard of living.

and so does suicide exist in poor countries , hence the recruitment of terrorists for money
Quote:
Welfare is a good thing, healthcare, education and human rights are worth the effort, but there is a lot of bs associated with a high living standard that I think we would be better off without.

agreed

but at the sametime perhaps its about EARNING this high standard of living rather than just being given a high standard of living which many are , which makes the difference
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 09:18 pm
@north,
The so-called high standard of living that so many developed and developing countries seem to desire only destroys this planet. Raw materials is a finite supply, and the growing demand for them will not be good for this planet and all the living (still surviving) fauna and flora.
north

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 10:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The so-called high standard of living that so many developed and developing countries seem to desire only destroys this planet. Raw materials is a finite supply, and the growing demand for them will not be good for this planet and all the living (still surviving) fauna and flora.

true

so it is up to the rich to set a good example

not by just charity but by putting the money into solid concrete recycling businesses
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 10:12 pm
@north,
And the production of environmentally safe products that recycles materials.
north

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 10:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And the production of environmentally safe products that recycles materials.

agreed
0 Replies