how would you fix the world?

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:46 pm
if you were leader of a world super power (i.e. USA), what would you do to fix the world?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,078 • Replies: 30
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:47 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

if you were leader of a world super power (i.e. USA), what would you do to fix the world?

Resign.
hamilton

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:48 pm
@contrex,
no, im talking about what YOU would do.
wayne

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 01:50 pm
@hamilton,
Is the world broken?
If so, please tell us how it's supposed to work.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 01:51 pm
@contrex,
I wouldn't have even run for "any" public office.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 12:47 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

no, im talking about what YOU would do.

So was I. I would cease being "world leader". If I, with my beliefs, somehow got to be POTUS, I would say "It's high time the USA stopped acting like it owned the world, and stepped back".
hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 09:14 am
@contrex,
the us was just an example. what about britain, or something else? in fact, make yourself your own world super power. what would you do with your power to make the world a better place?
contrex

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 12:33 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:
what would you do with your power to make the world a better place?

Stop thinking that the world could be "fixed" by means of "power". I actually stopped thinking that way when I was around 12 years old.
hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:15 pm
@contrex,
well, what would you do?
with what?
contrex

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 02:41 pm
@hamilton,
I think the idea that the world is something that can be "fixed" like a leaky faucet is a foolish one.
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 02:49 pm
@hamilton,
Quote:

Leave it alone. Stop sending soldiers everywhere for selfish motives under the guise of actually caring about the people in those countries.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 02:58 pm
@Cyracuz,
I agree, as usual, with Cyracuz. I'd simply stop screwing it up.
hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 04:58 pm
@JLNobody,
well, what would you actively do, as a person to make it into something you want it to be?
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:25 pm
@hamilton,
I would stop producing crap that stops working after 3 months just so that people would have to buy new, only to ensure the continued success of my capitalistic interest, thereby reducing drastically the consumption of the world's natural resources. Instead I would make things that last, that can be repaired and do what they are supposed to do as well as I could make it. We have the technology to make phones that will last virtually forever, construct them so that they can be repaired rather than just discarded after a few months. We have the technology, but in the current economical system it is not beneficial to do so, as anyone who did it (which would be ethical and responsible) would be out of business.

I would stop raising kids on dreams that are bound to break only to put them on medication that does nothing for them other than to make them slaves of an industry that benefits greatly from this.

I would correct the gross economical imbalances created by europeans during the imperialist period and that have been enforced by the west ever since.

I would start a massive campaign to educate everyone rather than prey on their ignorance.

I would make laws that protect people, not restrict and oppress them and protect someone's financial interests.

I would take all the resources and efforts that currently go into war and divert them to intensive research to develop free, infinitely renewable, clean energy to be distributed to everyone for free.

I would make stupidity and ignorance crimes punishable by education.

I would throw money at the Venus Project and tell them to get serious on a whole new level.

Then I would seek to unite all humans in a joint effort to explore space, both inner and outer, in the spirit of adventure and understanding.

Since you asked. Wink

hamilton

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:26 pm
@Cyracuz,
wow. thanks!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 10:19 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz, You bring up a bunch of salient points that makes a lot of sense, but we all know that governments do not work that way. They know how to spend money they don't have, and much of it wasted on unnecessary stupid stuff. For them, spending billions on a bridge to nowhere is the extent of their ability to be stupid. That isn't going to change, because we're the ones giving them the power to be stupid.
vikorr

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 02:12 am
@contrex,
What about raining upon the rocks? It certainly helped make the sea shore and rivers better.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 04:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm not arguing on that C.I. I was just answering a rather silly question, and had fun doing it Wink
hamilton

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:59 am
@Cyracuz,
gee, thanks...
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 06:28 am
@hamilton,
I meant that it is a rather silly question because it is a "what if" that is totally imaginary. It's a bit like the question "what would you do if you had a million dollars?" Fun to think about sometimes, but ultimately fruitless.