I Will Vote No More - Perhaps Forever

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:02 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
We will forcefully disagree on every issue that calls ideological preference into play. No argument there. I am arguing for a level playing field.

The best way to get a level playing field is to get everyone to vote.

Voter registration drives have been at the center of nearly every forward looking movement in the past century.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:09 am
@maxdancona,
The best way to get a level playing field is to stop the usurpation of the middle and lower class rights. Something no elected official seems to care about.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:16 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Something no elected official seems to care about.

Elected officials care about getting re-elected. That is what they should care about.

This is how Democracy is designed to work. Because the voters have the ultimate power over who gets elected and who gets tossed aside, they have the leverage over the people running the government. If you take away the need of elected officials to care about elections, then you take the power away from the voters.

You seem to have something against democracy. I still don't see how not voting helps anything.
engineer

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I feel I can no longer trust our government to do what is right for its people, regardless of the party in control.

But you can sometimes be presented with the lessor of two evils. Will you fail to act to prevent the greater evil?
Thomas

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 09:06 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Quote:
I feel I can no longer trust our government to do what is right for its people, regardless of the party in control.

But you can sometimes be presented with the lessor of two evils. Will you fail to act to prevent the greater evil?

Yes he will. I already asked Edgar that. Here is his answer
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 09:55 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
. . . But you can sometimes be presented with the lessor of two evils . . .

lessor of two evils -- a landlord with a couple of really lousy apartments.

Sorry.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 09:59 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I still don't see how not voting helps anything.

the only thing I can think of is that it's one less person with a right to complain about what's going on
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Something no elected official seems to care about.

Elected officials care about getting re-elected. That is what they should care about.

This is how Democracy is designed to work. Because the voters have the ultimate power over who gets elected and who gets tossed aside, they have the leverage over the people running the government. If you take away the need of elected officials to care about elections, then you take the power away from the voters.

You seem to have something against democracy. I still don't see how not voting helps anything.

Well, when the population takes to the streets the way the Egyptians did, I hope the government has the decency to not shoot anyone.
Irishk

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 11:41 am
@edgarblythe,
With involvement in three wars, are there any here left to do the shooting?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:

Well, when the population takes to the streets the way the Egyptians did, I hope the government has the decency to not shoot anyone.

I don't think that people with the right to vote, but choose not to, have the right to take to the streets.

Voting is the key to how a democracy works. I think taking to the streets is fine when you have voted and it hasn't worked. But, taking to the streets without voting is laughable.

The problem with taking to the streets is that I doubt anyone would agree what they are on the streets for. Some people would be there to end "Obamacare", others would be there for stronger health care legislation. Some people would be there to end abortion, others would be there to keep abortion safe and legal.

If everyone takes to the streets, the only way to sort out who was for what would be to take a vote...

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:46 pm
@Thomas,
You're right, and this is my basic argument.

Unfortunately, edgar ( and to be fair, ,Legions of others) expect their vote to provide them with some sort of individually affirmative feedback.

It is an equally unfortunate characteristic of my generation, The Baby Boomers (of which I believe edgar is a member).

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:49 pm
I will say this and then quit trying to explain. Your idea of democracy is, if there is a right to vote, everything is covered. Nothing to complain or worry about. If you are happy with the way your vote is being used, I really have nothing to say to you. I believe our votes are like placebos are to medicine these days. They give you no choices beneath the rhetoric. Sure, Democrats are nicer about it, but they are as guilty as the Republicans. Other nations that had the vote were taken over by despots. The act of voting is a sham when people are being misled and coerced.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am too old to be listed under Baby Boomer.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
How Roman of you.

If you are so convinced that voting is irrelevant, why did you post this thread?

To invite your fellows to beg you to reconsider?

Jesus edgar, just don't vote and spare us edgar Agonisties.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Amen!

Now how can we get them to stop complaining that the vote they don't cast should be a silver bullet?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well then you are ahead of your time in terms of self-indulgence.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:03 pm
Perhaps this thread will end with a reluctant edgar agreeing that despite his deeply felt despair over the state of corporate dominated American politics, he accepts that he must vote when he can.

If, on the other hand, it doesn't and edgar stays true to his despairing vision, whenever he posts a thread or comment criticizing demon Republicans we can all despite our ideological divide, come together and respond:

"You don't vote edgar, you don't get to complain!"
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, EdgarB and I are pre-boomer.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Bohemians!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I suppose. I think we were on the later edge of that. I remember liking black clothes and wishing I had straight long hair.