I Will Vote No More - Perhaps Forever

Irishk

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:07 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I would vote if I were to receive a free pig.

mebbe even for a chicken...

Somewhere, a politician reading that is thinking, "Hmmm...I could make that happen."
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
"If I was supported by The State (i.e. Other Taxpayers) and yet didn't have to contribute a dime to the collective good, I might be all for getting more money out of the Other Taxpayers, especially if I bought into their demonization, by the politicians who curried my vote."

finky, here is a great example of your thoughts being part of the cultural war.

why do you feel the need to demonize poor people?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 10:24 am
@George,
In my last home town in northern california, only about six thousand people, probably a bit less, voted on one of the issues. The side I was on won by something like one thousand votes. So, it wasn't a matter of one vote making the difference - but it was pretty important to the difference that the thousand or so individuals decided to vote that day.

That's different than that the issue could have been considered an important one, or not relative to the general welfare.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 07:22 pm
@George,
If no one else votes, then my vote will be pretty damn important won't it? For that matter, I think the country would run pretty well if that were the case.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:51 pm
One election that still haunts me. The presidential election in 2000. In the end it all came down to Florida.

Bush-2,912,790 Gore-2,912,253

Just think, if 269 people had voted the other way....
hingehead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 08:52 pm
@panzade,
As Levitt says in the piece Thomas posted, it wasn't the 269 votes that counted, only 6 votes mattered.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:17 pm
Gore ran a very poor campaign.
panzade

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
let me ask you a hypo-question ed.
If Gore had won 2 terms would you have started this thread?

...honestly?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 09:51 pm
@panzade,
I like Gore very much. More than Obama and Clinton. But, yes, I would have started this thread, because it is not just about Republican versus Democrat, as I tried to say early on.
JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 12:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
"You don't vote edgar, you don't get to complain!"

This is a truly spurious notion. It's just another meme that people who lack the ability to think parrot. It's like the "You gotta vote or the Communists will get in".

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 01:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
it is not just about Republican versus Democrat, as I tried to say early on.

I'm sorry. I didn't get that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 02:08 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

Yeah, Edgar, go back to Commieland, you commie!

Very humerous, Joe.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:09 pm
@Rockhead,
Why do you feel the need to childishly alter my nomme du plume?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
At the risk of being branded a nut, I nevertheless plan to cease voting, as of last week. I feel I can no longer trust our government to do what is right for its people, regardless of the party in control.

I've just found this thread. Before reading any further, I'd like to say, "Bravo."

Bravo. Bravissimo.
patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:54 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Not to be lecturing here but the reason the government isn't serving the people is because so many people aren't voting. Why make the problem worse?

But, then, there's this, too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:56 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
Sarah Palin would be exactly as good or bad of a president as Barack Obama?

Hard to imagine -- but I think the office of president, besides that great power to bomb other countries and provide funding and whatnot, is greatly overrated?

I have to say, though, I miss living in a district where nobody right of the Democratic candidate appeared on the ballet for the congressional seat. Very liberating, that.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:59 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
There's no way out of the game. As Finn alluded it's imperative thoughtful people cast their votes, otherwise only fanatics and barrow pushers make these choice on our behalf.

Given the margin -- and I am not acceding to the implication that fanatics and barrow pushers should be denied a vote or even a meaningful voice (see those as "Two Unequal Items of Polical Currency") -- given the margin, Foghorn Leghorn says, it's hard to imagine, in a two-party system, that those two groups should have an equal voice.

I suppose, though, that an unequal voice is preferable to no voice at all, if that voice is heard...
patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:02 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
What you need to do now is convince your neighbors to stop voting.[ /quote]

An advertising mind at work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:51 am
@patiodog,
Thanks, dog.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:56 am
@patiodog,
The current train wreck the country is going through due to the debt crisis is a direct result of the 2010 midterm elections.

The 2010 midterm election had a low turnout If the economy crumbles over the next couple of weeks, keep in mind that the 2010 midterm elections featured a large number of left leaning voters who decided to stay home rather than exercise their civic duty.
0 Replies