Does the desire to philosophize separate you from others?

RisingToShine

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
"Yea, but make the most of the trip.
ENJOY your youth b4 u reach the age that u wish u had it again.
Life is about the journey, not the last stop.

The purpose of singing a fine song
is not to arrive at its final note.

The most important thing in your life
is that toward its end, u have as many GOOD MEMORIES as possible."

I agree 100% I try to live by this everyday, I know I suggested I don't, but I do appreciate every moment I'm in and make the best of it. I'm overall a pretty relaxed person and it takes a lot to upset me, perhaps the instances I do worry are when I have other people examining my situation and projecting their own worries upon it. :p

"I elect to show easier, faster ways to spell (foneticly),
in hope of correcting so much of the orthografic paradime
as is not fully fonetic (as set forth in my personal profile)."

That's awesome! I wish to join you, but being in high school still, I would probably be punished for such behavior. (Could you imagine if i wrote (rowt) an essay with such words, teachers would probably just see it as a lack of spell check on my part). Are you alone in this movement? Or are there many followers?

Also, care to share how you select a certain part of a person's response and place it in the dashed-line box? I have yet to figure this out.
RisingToShine

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 06:52 pm
@vikorr,
My above post was meant to be addressed toward you.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 11:47 pm
@RisingToShine,
David wrote:
"Yea, but make the most of the trip.
ENJOY your youth b4 u reach the age that u wish u had it again.
Life is about the journey, not the last stop.

The purpose of singing a fine song
is not to arrive at its final note.

The most important thing in your life
is that toward its end, u have as many GOOD MEMORIES as possible."
RisingToShine wrote:
I agree 100% I try to live by this everyday, I know I suggested I don't, but I do appreciate every moment I'm in and make the best of it. I'm overall a pretty relaxed person and it takes a lot to upset me, perhaps the instances I do worry are when I have other people examining my situation and projecting their own worries upon it. :p

David wrote:
"I elect to show easier, faster ways to spell (foneticly),
in hope of correcting so much of the orthografic paradime
as is not fully fonetic (as set forth in my personal profile)."

RisingToShine wrote:
That's awesome! I wish to join you, but being in high school still, I would probably be punished for such behavior.
Well, u can casually discuss it with teachers n classmates
of your choosing, if u wanna, b4 u DO it,
but I must admit that I did not begin
doing it until after I 'd retired from the practice of law.
I coud not do it on-the-job; I already had enuf to be concerned about
to win my clients' cases. There is a time n a place for everything
(like where n when it will not blow up in your face).

RisingToShine wrote:
(Could you imagine if i wrote (rowt) an essay with such words,
teachers would probably just see it as a lack of spell check on my part).
Are you alone in this movement? Or are there many followers?
Well, maybe the first of my followers
was Teddy Roosevelt, about 1OO years ago, when he issued an
Executive Order that fonetic spelling be used in the Executive Branch
of the federal government, but Congress stopped him.

There r a lot of texting people these days,
who like to write briefly.

RisingToShine wrote:
Also, care to share how you select a certain part of a person's response and place it in the dashed-line box?
I have yet to figure this out.
OK, when u know the concept its e z.
1st Step:
put your cursor (or your blesser) on the green "QUOTE" button
above where people have written their text.
That will automaticly put all of their text into a nested quote.

Next Step:
block or hi lite the poster's screename.
( Yours looks like this: [quo te="RisingToShine"] )
Then u put it into your computer's clipboard
by hitting control c.
U can paste it (print it out) by hitting control v
and that will begin the quoted area of his text.

U end, or close, his quote box by the code: [/quote]

By using those 2 techniques, u can divide up someone 's post
so that u can address his concerns on an itemized, individual basis.

Note that by clicking on the BBCode Editor,
there will be revealed buttons for bolding, for italics,
and for underlining. If u block or hi lite the text that
u wish to affect by those special effects, and then u click on
the appropriate overhead button, u will generate that effect
upon the hi lit text.

The "Normal" button can be used to magnify
or to diminish the size of your font.
The same applies to the "Font Color"
I 've gotten a lot of complaints from folks for using those effects.
People have accused me of driving them blind.

If u click on someone's screename
or his avatar, that takes u to his personal profile page.

U can read his personal profile (but some people have not filled theirs out).

If u get mad at him, u can go there and hit his Ignore button,
causing him to vanish from your world. (There was an ep. in classic Trek
when [in an alternate universe] Spock had a screen on his wall
that he coud aim at bad guys n make them disappear. THAT is an evolution
of the Ignore Button.)

From people 's personal profile pages,
u can also send them private messages that no one else will see.

Lemme know if u have any questions.

David
JLNobody

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 03:35 pm
While the desire to philosophize does alienate me from some anti-eggheads (mainly because of my pursuit of formal education), I'm happy to report that it connects me to others. You A2Kers know who you are.
north

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:07 pm
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:

I find throughout my day, I don't have many people to philosophize with. I am in high school and the only good conversation comes from teachers which obviously can't be my main source of conversation. I feel so separated to most of my fellow classmates as no one will engage in deeper thinking. When you recognize there is philosophy based off of your actions and realize by thinking about them can influence future actions, why do people still insist on only talking about the actions with the philosophy hidden underneath? Yeah, if you listen well enough you can uncover the philosophy, but by never being able to discuss it, it is as good as recognizing there is treasure in a chest but the chest is locked. So then how can you be sure the other person even has their own treasure? Once opened it could just be an empty box...

Anyone else in the same position or have experienced the same issue? Any advice? PLEASE.

your young , very young , the best approach is to find about different ideas , fundamentally , NOT in depth , just scratch the surface , why ?

it is important to develope YOUR OWN PERSPECTIVE FIRST , why again ?

because philosophy has its twists and turns which can leave you lost and confused

and sometimes its thinking back to what you thought , " back then " that gets back on the right track , again , not necessarliy , but could

philosophy is as complicated as any science

just think upon any subject you come across first , pros and cons

then go in depth on this particular subject

I went several yrs of not reading , just to develope my own ideas on things

north

in otherwords build a foundation of your own thinking , thoughts BEFORE you delve into deeper thinking and thoughts , experience is important as well

royable

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:24 pm
@RisingToShine,
Yes at times. It has happened with me. It's really hard when you are with people who always tend to wind up things on an aggressively heated up one sided take on things rather respecting other's opinions. The key to philosophize in a productive and constructive way should be an open discussion or debate about things around the topic keeping in mind that people are entitled to have their own opinions. It should be a healthy debate rather some ugly tantrum throwing meet. It's kinda funny but most of the deep discussions I have been with almost ends up in a sour note. It's kinda depressing at times.
north

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:36 pm
@royable,
royable wrote:

Yes at times. It has happened with me. It's really hard when you are with people who always tend to wind up things on an aggressively heated up one sided take on things rather respecting other's opinions. The key to philosophize in a productive and constructive way should be an open discussion or debate about things around the topic keeping in mind that people are entitled to have their own opinions. It should be a healthy debate rather some ugly tantrum throwing meet. It's kinda funny but most of the deep discussions I have been with almost ends up in a sour note. It's kinda depressing at times.

are you as well in high school ? just asking
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:07 pm
@north,
RisingToShine wrote:
I find throughout my day, I don't have many people to philosophize with. I am in high school and the only good conversation comes from teachers which obviously can't be my main source of conversation. I feel so separated to most of my fellow classmates as no one will engage in deeper thinking. When you recognize there is philosophy based off of your actions and realize by thinking about them can influence future actions, why do people still insist on only talking about the actions with the philosophy hidden underneath? Yeah, if you listen well enough you can uncover the philosophy, but by never being able to discuss it, it is as good as recognizing there is treasure in a chest but the chest is locked. So then how can you be sure the other person even has their own treasure? Once opened it could just be an empty box...

Anyone else in the same position or have experienced the same issue? Any advice? PLEASE.

north wrote:
your young , very young ,
Maybe when u r older,
u 'll know better than to address someone beginning
with PERSONAL REMARKS, North.

She did not ask u her age. That is off-topic.
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I have been reading up on this all throughout today, It makes complete sense. Its a wonder why it has not been converted. Perhaps why people have not is because many function fine without the switch, although logic clearly presents flaws. This issue could relate on a grander scale to which the very act of living with (obvious) flaw (once examined) has been accepted, e.g. slavery. Or to the point where one may not even be able to recognize the flaw because it has been so accepted and their logic is no longer present. People use this spelling correction in texting because there logic is still able to shine through, what is scary is when this logic gives up the fight.

Your change in phonetics is much more than just a change in writing!
When examined, it can relate to many other topics.
logic vs familiarity - the psychology of why people will choose comfort instead of logic.
A way to create this mass movement is to first identify that by accepting a belief based on comfort can result in devastating results. (relate back to the grander scale)
Because most people will see simply changing spelling as an unimportant change, you must show them the connection between the same kind of thinking in a more important situation.
And by studying history in which mass movements of changing mindsets have been successfully changed could identify methods in which to do so.

Also look down upon your keyboard, did you know this defies logic too?
"So the story goes that he arranged the keys with the most common letters in hard to reach spots, to slow typists down and try to avoid this problem."
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question458.htm
^ problem identified in article.

Once pointed out to people that logic is what should be chosen every time, not familiarity, is when you will be able to get people to listen. Smile

Also, thank you so very much for explaining how things work on this website. I appreciate it a lot! I am now following you as my first 'friend' on A2K for the kindness you have clearly displayed to me.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:12 pm
@royable,
Philosophy springs forth from psychology.

Some of that is rooted in the reptilian brain; runs deep.
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:24 pm
@north,
north wrote:
develope YOUR OWN PERSPECTIVE FIRST
You make a valid point. Believe me, I have identified this and have made sure I am not purely obtaining facts without first putting them through my own filter. Philosophy is the way I think. I never have looked at things just through the surface, for what topic only consists of that? The surface obviously is not the ultimate truth of the topic so to make a rational decision about the subject without diving deeper is to not understand the topic fully. I am able to surface back after diving, everyone needs a breathe of air sometimes. (or perhaps a tank of air so that next time the surface won't be needed for awhile)
north

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 10:57 pm
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:

north wrote:
develope YOUR OWN PERSPECTIVE FIRST
You make a valid point. Believe me, I have identified this and have made sure I am not purely obtaining facts without first putting them through my own filter.

as odd as this might be , I'd rather , very , very little facts , just a surface scan would be enough

Quote:
Philosophy is the way I think. I never have looked at things just through the surface, for what topic only consists of that?

none

I have though looked at things through the surface , just to get my own perspective and understanding on purpose , which can lead to a deeper understanding , sometimes , not all the time but sometimes

because you can understand and ask , DIFFERENT questions

Quote:
The surface obviously is not the ultimate truth of the topic so to make a rational decision about the subject without diving deeper is to not understand the topic fully. I am able to surface back after diving, everyone needs a breathe of air sometimes. (or perhaps a tank of air so that next time the surface won't be needed for awhile)

but when you find someone more well read than you on the subject ,you are discussing , quotes a certain famous philosophers that are regarded in high esteem , what will you do ?

RisingToShine

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 11:08 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
While the desire to philosophize does alienate me from some anti-eggheads (mainly because of my pursuit of formal education), I'm happy to report that it connects me to others.

I guess it is impossible to relate to all people. I have also connected with some (very meaningful friendships) but not the majority. Sometimes when the majority is overwhelming, it's easy to lose yourself by questioning why it is the way you are when obviously the people around you don't accept it. This website has slowly revealed the world in which I have been searching for.
Moral of the story: Don't spend time worrying about those who can't relate, Instead, spend that time searching for those who can.
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 11:27 pm
@north,
north wrote:

I have though looked at things through the surface , just to get my own perspective and understanding on purpose , which can lead to a deeper understanding , sometimes , not all the time but sometimes

because you can understand and ask , DIFFERENT questions

Makes sense, can't get to the depth without first clearly understanding the surface. HOWEVER, you can also discover different depths that will lead to a new surface. You have seemed to imply questions can only be present through the surface.

north wrote:
but when you find someone more well read than you on the subject ,you are discussing , quotes a certain famous philosophers that are regarded in high esteem , what will you do ?

Ask questions until you understand? Or research the topic further.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 11:29 pm
@RisingToShine,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

RisingToShine wrote:
I have been reading up on this all throughout today, It makes complete sense.
Its a wonder why it has not been converted.
That 's from inattention n laziness, imo.
Some languages r spelled foneticly.
Ours is ALMOST fonetic, with a minority of words
being atavistic throwbacks to their Germanic origins.

RisingToShine wrote:
Perhaps why people have not is because many function fine without the switch, although logic clearly presents flaws. This issue could relate on a grander scale to which the very act of living with (obvious) flaw (once examined) has been accepted, e.g. slavery. Or to the point where one may not even be able to recognize the flaw because it has been so accepted and their logic is no longer present. People use this spelling correction in texting because there logic is still able to shine through, what is scary is when this logic gives up the fight.

Your change in phonetics is much more than just a change in writing!
When examined, it can relate to many other topics.
logic vs familiarity - the psychology of why people will choose comfort instead of logic.
Yes; e.g., I dislike the Metric System
because I learned n became used to the English system,
but I know that the Metric System (which rubs me the rong way)
is the BETTER system, being based on 10.

RisingToShine wrote:
A way to create this mass movement is to first identify that by accepting a belief based on comfort can result in devastating results.
(relate back to the grander scale)
Because most people will see simply changing spelling as an unimportant change,
you must show them the connection between the same kind of thinking in a more important situation.
And by studying history in which mass movements of changing mindsets have been successfully changed could identify methods in which to do so.

Also look down upon your keyboard, did you know this defies logic too?
Yes. When I began to use computers in the 1980s,
a friend of mine told me that originally keyboards were lain out
alfabetically, but that too ofen when stenografers gained speed,
the keys jammed up and their fingers got dirty from ink,
so the letters were re-distributed to slow them down.

That is no longer a problem with computer keyboards.

RisingToShine wrote:
"So the story goes that he arranged the keys with the most common letters in hard to reach spots,
to slow typists down and try to avoid this problem."
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question458.htm
^ problem identified in article.
Thanx for the link.
I have put the Dvorak website on my desktop.
I did not know that my computer can switch over.

RisingToShine wrote:
Once pointed out to people that logic is what should be chosen every time, not familiarity,
is when you will be able to get people to listen. Smile
Thay put up quite a fite.
Teddy Roosevelt was a very popular President,
but he was ridiculed a lot for his advocacy of fonetic spelling.
Some of his hate mail on this subject is on display
in the American Museum of Natural History.
I 've gotten a lot of abuse about it too.

RisingToShine wrote:
Also, thank you so very much for explaining how things work on this website. I appreciate it a lot!
I am now following you as my first 'friend' on A2K for the kindness you have clearly displayed to me.
I consider it an honor
and I have reciprocated in kind. I still have a few more tips
to share with u concerning optimizing use of what the site offers.

Its e z 1ce u know how.

R u going to college? Choose one yet ?

For me, that decision was e z because I decided to become a trial lawyer.

Incidentally, let me point out that thru out the Earth
people in all states of mental health r represented; here too.
U will observe quarrels break out here and see people
be accused of idiocy. I suggest that u don 't take it seriously.
Think of that as u think of the annoyances of loud dogs in the street; loud but harmless.

David
RisingToShine

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 11:34 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Also, your initial reaction to higher information should not be intimidation. It should be excitement for the discovery of such.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 01:47 am
@RisingToShine,
I have an idea, a suggestion
that I wish that someone had mentioned to me in my youth.

It is good both for catharsis and for sharpening your memory
of the flow of events to KEEP a JOURNAL, updating each nite.
Some people say its as good as visiting a psychologist,
and less expensive.

U can check back on it years n decades later
and see what was on your mind. (I 've been astonished by how much I 've forgotten.)

U can prepare goals, a bucket list, n tentative
methods of achievement; erect a schedule thereof.

U can use your journal to write letters to yourself
addressed to each future decade of your life.
Ask: "how r u doing with the plans ?"

If u put it into a computer,
DON 'T FORGET TO BACK IT UP !
Don 't put all your eggs in one basket.

David
RisingToShine

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
RisingToShine wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Which languages? I'd like to look more into them.
And also it could stem from being overwhelmed by improvements. e.g., the advances in technology of cell phones or televisions. Every where you look, their are improvements being made in all aspects. The question is which ones to follow, for sometimes the improvement is faulty and will then be revised, making the conversion of a new idea a big waste of time. Having such an experience will definitely off put people from jumping on the train to a so called 'revolution'. And also will cause people to not even consider the idea, being that they are aware the next new improvement will come along in no time. So the fast pace of changing ideas definitely adds mistrust towards new concepts.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Since this pattern can be seen in many different mediums, only changing one of the many patterns (phonetics) may not be productive. For the same mindset will still be present in many different instances. In order to be productive, the other mindsets must be eliminated as well. (one step at a time)
What is seen on a smaller scale will reflect the decisions made on a larger one. So I guess even if the other similar mindsets aren't changed, at least you have one to look at (phonetics).

So first you have to identify where this pattern shows up, for it seems it is present in many cases. Do you know of any other examples?

OmSigDAVID wrote:

I'd like to go see that one day (I've never been to NY)
Once pointed out phonetics is not just a change in spelling, I don't see why people would ridicule it. Perhaps from refusal to see beyond its surface.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
I consider it an honor

Please feel free to share them, I'm all ears!

[quote"OmSigDAVID"]R u going to college? Choose one yet ?

For me, that decision was e z because I decided to become a trial lawyer.[/quote]
I am planning on going to college, definitely. However, I honestly don't know where to begin with searching for the right one. My dad would really like to see me play softball in college, but I am still undecided if that's the right path for me. I really like philosophy and psychology, however, I want to enter a major which I will have a job guaranteed at the end. I can see how it was easy choosing a college from the decision to become a lawyer. I still don't know what my dream job would be, or what field to go into it. So it's hard to decide on a college when those aspects aren't clear.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Think of that as u think of the annoyances of loud dogs in the street; loud but harmless.

Thank you for the heads up. What about this quote to relate, "Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." -Eric Hoffer

Laughing

RisingToShine

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I have an idea, a suggestion
that I wish that someone had mentioned to me in my youth.

It is good both for catharsis and for sharpening your memory
of the flow of events to KEEP a JOURNAL, updating each nite.
Some people say its as good as visiting a psychologist,
and less expensive.

Actually, one of my good friends suggested this to me about a year ago (her being an artist, gave me a sketchbook to both draw and write). Since then I've been writing down any thoughts when inspired. Also, I have my phone to type notes into when I don't have my notebook handy.
It definitely has helped me through a lot.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
U can check back on it years n decades later
and see what was on your mind. (I 've been astonished by how much I 've forgotten.)

U can prepare goals, a bucket list, n tentative
methods of achievement; erect a schedule thereof.

U can use your journal to write letters to yourself
addressed to each future decade of your life.
Ask: "how r u doing with the plans ?"

Thank you for the new ideas!! I will definitely use them in my notebook. Also coming from another person with the same concept only increases the validity of my notebook and will encourage me to write more often. So again, thank you!

OmSigDAVID wrote:
If u put it into a computer,
DON 'T FORGET TO BACK IT UP !
Don 't put all your eggs in one basket.

My friend has cautioned me about this too, she said she would hate to see all my writings in my phone disappear from a malfunction. I agree. Backup assistant to the rescue!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 02:48 pm
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

RisingToShine wrote:
Which languages? I'd like to look more into them.
Spanish is almost perfectly fonetic.
There r others.

RisingToShine wrote:
And also it could stem from being overwhelmed by improvements. e.g., the advances in technology of cell phones or televisions. Every where you look, their are improvements being made in all aspects. The question is which ones to follow, for sometimes the improvement is faulty and will then be revised, making the conversion of a new idea a big waste of time. Having such an experience will definitely off put people from jumping on the train to a so called 'revolution'. And also will cause people to not even consider the idea, being that they are aware the next new improvement will come along in no time. So the fast pace of changing ideas definitely adds mistrust towards new concepts.
Yes; that can happen.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

RisingToShine wrote:
Since this pattern can be seen in many different mediums, only changing one of the many patterns (phonetics) may not be productive.
It will be faster n easier for those who use it.

RisingToShine wrote:
For the same mindset will still be present in many different instances. In order to be productive, the other mindsets must be eliminated as well. (one step at a time)
That's the best approach.
"A journey of 1,000 miles begins with but a single step."

RisingToShine wrote:
What is seen on a smaller scale will reflect the decisions made on a larger one. So I guess even if the other similar mindsets aren't changed, at least you have one to look at (phonetics).

So first you have to identify where this pattern shows up, for it seems it is present in many cases. Do you know of any other examples?
Offhand, I can only think of the metric system.
I know that a system based on ten is obviously BETTER
than the English System, but I 'm accustomed to the old way
(the same as people who like non-fonetic spelling).
Kilometers gross me out.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

RisingToShine wrote:
I'd like to go see that one day (I've never been to NY)
U shoud come; maybe after u graduate from hi school.
Last summer, we had the American Mensa Annual Gathering
in your State: Dearborn, Michigan.
(At the end of this month, we r having it in Portland, Oregon.)

RisingToShine wrote:
Once pointed out phonetics is not just a change in spelling, I don't see why people would ridicule it.
Thay do so because thay learned it the other way
and the new way threatens to invalidate their learning
and the time n trouble that it took to learn it
and cause them to begin to learn something new.

RisingToShine wrote:
Perhaps from refusal to see beyond its surface.
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I consider it an honor

RisingToShine wrote:
Please feel free to share them, I'm all ears!
OK; lemme think of some.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
R u going to college? Choose one yet ?

For me, that decision was e z because I decided to become a trial lawyer.

RisingToShine wrote:
I am planning on going to college, definitely. However, I honestly don't know where to begin with searching for the right one. My dad would really like to see me play softball in college, but I am still undecided if that's the right path for me. I really like philosophy and psychology, however, I want to enter a major which I will have a job guaranteed at the end.
Psychology shoud do that for u.
U shoud Google career opportunities in it; see what u find.
Anyway, its good to understand how people think.

RisingToShine wrote:
I can see how it was easy choosing a college from the decision to become a lawyer.
I still don't know what my dream job would be, or what field to go into it.
So it's hard to decide on a college when those aspects aren't clear.

OmSigDAVID wrote:

RisingToShine wrote:
Thank you for the heads up. What about this quote to relate,
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." -Eric Hoffer
SO STIPULATED.

David
0 Replies