Does the desire to philosophize separate you from others?

Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:08 pm
I find throughout my day, I don't have many people to philosophize with. I am in high school and the only good conversation comes from teachers which obviously can't be my main source of conversation. I feel so separated to most of my fellow classmates as no one will engage in deeper thinking. When you recognize there is philosophy based off of your actions and realize by thinking about them can influence future actions, why do people still insist on only talking about the actions with the philosophy hidden underneath? Yeah, if you listen well enough you can uncover the philosophy, but by never being able to discuss it, it is as good as recognizing there is treasure in a chest but the chest is locked. So then how can you be sure the other person even has their own treasure? Once opened it could just be an empty box...

Anyone else in the same position or have experienced the same issue? Any advice? PLEASE.

north

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:07 am
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:

I find throughout my day, I don't have many people to philosophize with. I am in high school and the only good conversation comes from teachers which obviously can't be my main source of conversation. I feel so separated to most of my fellow classmates as no one will engage in deeper thinking. When you recognize there is philosophy based off of your actions and realize by thinking about them can influence future actions, why do people still insist on only talking about the actions with the philosophy hidden underneath? Yeah, if you listen well enough you can uncover the philosophy, but by never being able to discuss it, it is as good as recognizing there is treasure in a chest but the chest is locked. So then how can you be sure the other person even has their own treasure? Once opened it could just be an empty box...

Quote:
Anyone else in the same position or have experienced the same issue? Any advice? PLEASE.

being in the situation where no one has the same interest to discuss , philosophyically with myself , either stay here and/or take a interest course , at night at a University

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:42 am
@RisingToShine,
I guess most in here more or less one way or the other have had similar experiences...my advise is to find better company although of course as everything which is good in life that may take some time...meanwhile relax and play ball...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:54 am
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:

Try to find some people (age does not matter)
who WILL discuss matters of interest to u.
Eventually, u will succeed. The way that I handled it back then
was argument of political ideology, in support of
and in opposition to candidates of my choice at election time,
or thereafter, discussing the events of the day, taken from newspapers.

I volunteered to work at election campaign headquarters.
There was plenty of ideological discussion there.
U can also do it on the Internet.

We do it here all the time.
For instance, I 've argued the philosophy of the
2nd Amendment here for years, until the USSC settled it
in 2008 and again in 2010.

WELCOME to the forum.
Do u feel like filling out a personal profile
and telling us about yourself ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:54 am
@RisingToShine,
Quote:
It contributed to separating me from a young lady named Joyce, with whom I was obsessed 3O years ago.
I remember her asking (approximately): "is this what u people talk about?"

David
wandeljw

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 08:41 am
@RisingToShine,
When you philosophize, you must accept the fact that you may never find a conclusive answer. It is the lack of reaching conclusive answers that discourages most people from pursuing philosophy. Still, the act of philosophical questioning is by itself rewarding. It improves your ability to think critically and it keeps your mind open.
Setanta

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:19 am

It truly separates the men from the bored.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:53 am
And it certainly helps with celibacy.
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 10:02 am
Thank you all for the advice you have given me, just the fact alone other people can relate to this relieves me. Philosophy has definitely improved the way I think and gives my life more meaning, but it's more satisfying when you can share your passion with others. I try to find as many people who I can talk with, but unfortunatley they are the minority. Also it seems unproductive to always talk about subjects revolved around youself. Philosophy is a way to talk about subjects higher than your self. Not to mention the joy I feel after philosophizing. I just joined this site two days ago and glad I did! I will add personal information when I find the time, but for now I think a name will do.

...Christina Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 01:35 pm
@wandeljw,
Absolutely, Wandeljw. Philosophy is more of a life style than it is an academic or professional interest/discipline.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 01:50 pm
@RisingToShine,
RTS, congratulations on a great start. When I was in high school my goal was to be a boxer. But I discovered Will and Ariel Durant's The Story of Philosophy, a classic for young minds. My life became far more interesting, and my mind was much safer. I experienced regular revolutions but no more concussions. Ten years later I discovered Zen Buddhism (D.T. Suzuki and Alan Watts) and regular meditation and the world became far more wondrous and worth living. In both philosophy and Zen (as well as art and music) I developed little social worlds of friends with common interests. Now that I'm retired I also have A2K. What wealth!
RisingToShine

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:31 pm
@JLNobody,
Actually I've touched on Buddhism but don't know much about it. I've read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse (great book!) and am currently reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Also I just finished The Power of the Mind by Joan Borysenko and Miroslav Borysenko which has meditation techniques in it. From what I have encountered, Buddhism is really interesting. I just need to check it out more. And I plan on looking into The Story of Philosophy, thanks for the book reference!
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 06:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's funny, reminds me of some reactions I've heard:
"The things you think about are so weird"
or just the plan "huh?"
or the worst, A girl told me she thought philosophy was common sense, a waste of time, and consists of people trying to make things more complicated then they actually are. High school is rough.
I've noticed instead of contributing to the conversation, most of the people I come into contact with will comment about the nature of the conversation in order to escape the actual conversation.
I always try to spark new thoughts in people but many are concerned with gossip, drama, or rebellion instead. Seems like a fantasy land sometimes.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 06:32 am
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:
That's funny, reminds me of some reactions I've heard:
"The things you think about are so weird"
Yea, I 've heard that one b4,
or "O, David, u think too deep!"

RisingToShine wrote:

or just the plan "huh?"
or the worst, A girl told me she thought philosophy was common sense, a waste of time,
and consists of people trying to make things more complicated then they actually are.
A philosophy (filosofy) is a pattern of beliefs.
Major decisions can spring therefrom.

RisingToShine wrote:
High school is rough.
I've noticed instead of contributing to the conversation,
most of the people I come into contact with will comment about
the nature of the conversation in order to escape the actual conversation.
U need to associate with a better class of people.
Sometimes that conduct arises from fear-based behavior; personal insecurity.

RisingToShine wrote:
I always try to spark new thoughts in people but many are concerned with gossip, drama, or rebellion instead.
Seems like a fantasy land sometimes.
There may be a time & place for rebellion, depending on the circumstances.
I celebrate it on the 4th of July.

R u in America ?

I 'm in NY.

David
Pukka Sahib

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 06:52 am
@RisingToShine,
In the practical world, there is nothing more useless than philosophy; the reason being that the philosopher, while contemplating the world, is the least of all connected to it. Indeed, the very act of contemplation of necessity separates the philosopher from the seemingly mindless and chaotic swirl of human events; and from which vantage he ponders the meaning and purpose of life, the world and the universe. It is a fruitless exercise, for it is a mystery that defies explanation for all but those that search for themselves alone; and even they are cast adrift with no more sense of direction than anyone else. It is all meaningless and purposeless - like the patterns of Persian rugs or the random movements of microbes. And so what good is all this philosophy, all this heady discussion and heated argument over the “big questions”? The most casual fellow will tell you plainly that there is nothing in it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:03 am
@Pukka Sahib,
Pukka Sahib wrote:
In the practical world, there is nothing more useless than philosophy;
the reason being that the philosopher, while contemplating the world, is the least of all connected to it.
Wars -- BIG ONEs-- have been fought (fawt) for filosofy.
The Second and Third World Wars were fawt over the nazi and commie filosofys.

On 9/11/1, my nation was attacked because of filosofy (theology).

I dissent from your conclusions.

David
0 Replies

RisingToShine

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 02:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yes, I'm in Michigan.
And I am overly aware of the need to associate with a better class of people. One more year to go.

Perhaps why people have such a negative cognition about philosophy is because they have never applied it to their thoughts. They see philosophy as a subject separate from their beliefs, just like you said, philosophy is a set a beliefs in itself. Or they believe philosophy to only be a study of impossible questions when really it can be applied to any question. The word 'philosophy' has become tainted by incorrect projections. Whether a person is aware of it or not, each action or decision made is based off of their own philosophy, it is within everyone. All philosophers do is recognize this and discuss it. So to mock philosophy and call it useless is to directly mock yourself. @Pukka Sahib
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:05 pm
@RisingToShine,
RisingToShine wrote:
Yes, I'm in Michigan.
And I am overly aware of the need to associate with a better class of people. One more year to go.
Yea, but make the most of the trip.
ENJOY your youth b4 u reach the age that u wish u had it again.
Life is about the journey, not the last stop.

The purpose of singing a fine song
is not to arrive at its final note.

The most important thing in your life
is that toward its end, u have as many GOOD MEMORIES as possible.
(Keep records thereof.)

RisingToShine wrote:
Perhaps why people have such a negative cognition about philosophy
is because they have never applied it to their thoughts.
Thay do it all the time,
but thay r not consciously aware of it.

RisingToShine wrote:
They see philosophy as a subject separate from their beliefs, just like you said, philosophy is a set a beliefs in itself. Or they believe philosophy to only be a study of impossible questions when really it can be applied to any question. The word 'philosophy' has become tainted by incorrect projections. Whether a person is aware of it or not, each action or decision made is based off of their own philosophy, it is within everyone. All philosophers do is recognize this and discuss it. So to mock philosophy and call it useless is to directly mock yourself. @Pukka Sahib
Yes. By way of personal introduction:
I elect to show easier, faster ways to spell (foneticly),
in hope of correcting so much of the orthografic paradime
as is not fully fonetic (as set forth in my personal profile).

David
vikorr

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:20 pm
@RisingToShine,
You could perhaps train yourself to focus on the enjoyable aspects of other people who don't indulge much in philosophy. This would then enhance for you the enjoyment of their company.

And you could, where possible, also associate with people who enjoy philosophy and understanding, without necessarily giving up associating with other less philosophical people.
RisingToShine

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 01:26 pm
My separation from my classmates does not manifest from a pedestal in which I have placed myself, rather from the recognition of the limitations of my natural self. For I become tainted by conformity to a structured way of thought. I do not mock their ways, and have often attempted to experience the joys and satisfactions in which they express, but it is apparent in this field is where I lack. Intelligence is not the factor at hand, but rather creativity in which a person demonstrates uniqueness derived from their own filter of thought. In which reality does not appear the same as their neighbor and because of this differentiation are inclined to discuss it, especially through passion. When such a thought is revealed through complete internal forces, is when I feel myself at ease. These types of people are who I so desperately wish to surround myself by. For the people who surround me now, have not done justice to my natural self. I can recognize when my thoughts do not align with my words and do not come back into harmony until the moment has passed and the clouds have parted through which is when I am by myself or in the presence of a truly unique individual. However, in not every instance do I need an external force to bring forth my own uniqueness, although the external definitely acts as an assistance. Days where I am highly energized or inspired through a new idea is when I express myself accurately without assistance. But however, these days appear less often than more being that I know when I express myself fully, the receiver often does not provide a response that builds upon my initial idea and often will actually mock the nature of my expression. So I guess until I learn to first express myself properly in all situations, is when I will be able to associate with all other people, but for now I feel it's not beneficial to be surrounded by people who suppress my thoughts. Any suggestions on how to not let my thoughts become suppressed by others?
0 Replies