Switching from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:33 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Thank you all for the help, and keep it comin'. I think that I will print this thread for reference, especially Craven's long to-do list.

Make sure to note that a lot of it is just personal preference.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:40 pm
Craven- Personal preferences are fine. I am sure that yours WORK, and that is what is important to me! :-D

I have been reading my big, fat XP book for the last hour, and it's giving me a headache. I am sure that once I get my fingers on the 'puter, it will become much clearer!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 12:42 pm
I just went through all of this again over the phone with a very technically incompetent company president....

You folks who claim not to be tecnically adept are computer wizards in comparison.

BTW, I recommend against the books. I've never used a computer manual or book because I find them more confusing than helpful.

Sometimes after I already know how to use a program I'll read the manual to pick up some tips but that's about it.

If you do read the book then you can teach me! I won't read it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 02:15 pm
Switching
Wow! There's a heck of a lot of useful info here, and i'm going to print it out right away.

About the actual switch: I went from ME to XP Home and had no trouble at all that I can remember. The only oddity was a message that my Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse was incompatible, but I ignored that, and it worked just fine.

I agree that having CDs of as many of your downloads as possible is vital. It's saved me time and trouble over and over again.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 02:27 pm
About a year ago, I started getting a magazine called "Maximum PC" in the mail. I had never ordered it. It seemed a little geeky for my tastes. Little by little I started to read it, and found that I rather liked it. Even though the magazine is geared to guys who tinker with their computers, (98% of its subscribers are male) I find that they have some interesting articles.

Now they sent me a "renewal" notice, for $12- a year. Cheap enough. I think that I will subscribe. What grabbed me was the February issue, which had some in depth stuff about XP. Anybody heard of it, or read it?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 02:52 pm
No, never read Maximum PC, Phoenix, but upon your recommendation I'm going to try to get a copy. I bought a hp pavilion in November (my old computer croaked) so I've gone from Windows 95 to Windows XP and from Word Perfect to Microsoft Works and am not too sure if I'm doing anything right. But, I must admit, I love the new computer. Good luck with yours and thanks for starting this thread.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:33 pm
I am so upset. My computer was due to arrive tomorrow. I went out for a couple of hours, and guess what??? The U.P.S. man was here. :-(
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:21 pm
Update- I was feeling miserable, and all of a sudden, there was a tap on the door. The UPS man, on his way back, had noticed that our TV was on, and he came back and delivered the computer. Yippppeeeee!!!!!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:02 am
Welcome to the newest member of the family! I hope you and the Little Stranger are bonding with reciprocal enthusiasm.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies