Switching from Windows 98SE to XP Pro

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:15 pm
Well, Old Betsy is finally breathing her last. She has been a faithful companion for over 5 years. Now it is time to send her to computer pasture.

She ran on Win98 SE. I ordered a new computer with XP Pro, which will arrive in a few days. Not letting grass grow under my feet, I already bought a big fat book on XP, which I plan to study diligently.

Anybody have any suggestions about making a smooth transition to the new OS? I have already made copies of any files that I will need.

Any help, tips, or moral support gratefully accepted!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,602 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:41 pm
I'm eavesdropping. My Windows '98 has turned very boshy and techie son has ordered Windows XP--Home Edition. He's a dear, sweet boy and sure that his loving mommie can accomplish the transition all by herself with advice by telephone if necessary.

Anyone with magic wands and words of wisdom.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:44 pm
Hey Noddy. We can get through this together! Very Happy
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:37 pm
Other than copying your files over I'd recommend that within short order you left click once on the "Start" button, select "Properties" and set the system to use the "Classic Start Menu" for the first few weeks until you get used to some of the interface changes. The new XP interface isn't bad but it takes some getting used to.

Then I recommend you get the system on-line, download all the latest patches/udates and begin installing all of your Anti-virus software etc.. before you do much else with it.

If you run into problems post away right here on A2K and someone will help out. Wink
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
Thanks, fishin'! Very Happy
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
Downloading the updates is very important. I've heard stories of people getting viruses within hours of getting on the internet. And turn on the XP firewall if you don't have a router.

I still use the classic theme with XP. It takes up less resources.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:51 pm
Oh, about the firewall. I understand that the firewall for XP is for incoming stuff. I will download Zone Alarm to protect the outgoing material. I have heard conflicting reports about whether you can use them both at once. The guy from Dell insisted that he has the XP firewall, and another running at the same time on his computer. What say you?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 05:59 pm
I just bought a laptop and went through the new XP thing again.

This is what I do (if ya need help with any of em just holler), some are just personal preferences:

1) Turn on firewall.
2) Enable quick launch (the icons on the taskbar).
3) Customize the start menu to use small icons and list 20 programs.
4) Uninstall the programs I don't want (some puters ship with AV software, ISP software or otehr stuff).
5) Set the internet settings how I want (cookies etc).
6) Restore a backup of my favorites and curse the fact that they default to alphabetical order (and hopefully I remember to remove the pre-installed favorites).
7) Restore backups of my email accounts.
8) Restore backups of my email folders.
9) Make sure I have the AV software I want installed (Norton, I trash Mcaffe when it comes installed).
10) Set the wallpaper to simple black (no image).
11) Delete all shortcuts off my desktop (I put the ones I want on my quick launch, they are "Show Desktop", IE, My Docs, OE, Media Player and note pad.
12) Make sure the resolution is on the maximum.

Then I get a CD with all the install files of programs I need and install them.

Things like the google toolbar, alexa toolbar, edit pad, WS_FTP.....

Then I install the main programs I use (Office suite, Macromedia Studio MX, Palm).

Then I install games (I like to have them early in the disk).

Next I connect to the net and download the windows updates and then the virus definitions. The Windows updates can take hours to install even on powerful systems as they are very large.

Then I set my browser cache to 1 GB and I'm pretty much all set.

So for the next hour I lament the different feel of the new puter and wish it were the old one.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 06:02 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Oh, about the firewall. I understand that the firewall for XP is for incoming stuff. I will download Zone Alarm to protect the outgoing material. I have heard conflicting reports about whether you can use them both at once. The guy from Dell insisted that he has the XP firewall, and another running at the same time on his computer. What say you?

XP is not as good at outbound traffic in comparison to some other firewalls. But it's good enough for me and I won't let another firewall on my computer.

Using two can work but can also conflict, I suggest using just one. and XP's is fine. Outbound is only important if you have a trogan installed on your computer.

It needs an inbound breach to get in to dial out, so I am not concerned with outbound.

If I had a trojan I'd simply discionnect from the net, remember that if it's on your puter it can (in theory, as it's complicated) simply disable the firewall you have.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 06:15 pm
Quote:
If I had a trojan I'd simply discionnect from the net

And then what? Run my virus scan?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:18 pm
Phoenix--

You know what you're doing. You're making intelligent comments. Right now I'm quivering at medium speed with the potential for moving into high quiver.

Still, I understand some things....
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:19 pm
Just keep your virus scan software active at all times. And set it so that it automatically installs new virus definitions.

There are also countless XP security and performance tweaks and there's a wealth of information on the web. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm is a great resource. Some of the tips are pretty advanced and some are just unecessary (like running bootvis) but I cut my memory usage in half following that website. My computer runs a lot faster.

Also turn off hibernation in the power controls if you don't use a laptop. It can save quite a bit of disk space. I have my browser cache set to 128MB.

I would also uninstall all the unnecessary software that comes bundled with your computer and see if there are better alternatives to the software that you do need like WinAMP instead of Windows Media Player and Nero instead of XP's built-in CD burner. There are also Quicktime and Real Alternatives. And SpeedUp for Acrobat Reader which dramatically cuts its loading time and memory usage.

Resolution, color depth, and refresh rate settings are personal preferences. Keep them at the lowest settings that you feel comfortable looking at.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:48 pm
Sorry I can't help Phoenix. I'm also interested in this info, so I'd just like to watch and learn.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:10 pm
Reading along. My nearly 5 year old machine is limping a bit. I'm using 98 at home, 2000 on one machine at work, XP on another. I know I'm going to have to make the move. soon. arrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:12 pm
Reading along as well. Already got some great advice on the subject here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16949
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:10 am
Thank you all for the help, and keep it comin'. I think that I will print this thread for reference, especially Craven's long to-do list.

This morning, I can't seem to print in green, and I feel really nekkid. I think that old Betsy is in her death gasp.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:34 am
Another lurking...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:17 am
And another.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:39 am
ye110man- Just took a look at the site that you posted. It looks great. Thanks!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:32 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
If I had a trojan I'd simply discionnect from the net

And then what? Run my virus scan?

SpyBot would probably do a better job than an AV program.
0 Replies