Smarter than a 5th grader? Verb tense.

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:03 pm
My 5th grader had to do a paper on a particular sport. For the first sentence, he wrote:
"The sport that I learned about was tennis."
I changed it to:
"The sport that I learned about is tennis."
To me, the first sentence has consistent verb tense, but it sounds like ... it was tennis, but now it is ...??? The second sentence seems to make more sense. Which is correct?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,418 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JTT

Reply Sun 22 May, 2011 08:18 pm
@gadawg12,
Quote:
My 5th grader had to do a paper on a particular sport. For the first sentence, he wrote:
I changed it to:
To me, the first sentence has consistent verb tense, but it sounds like ... it was tennis, but now it is ...??? My 5th grader had to do a paper on a particular sport. For the first sentence, he wrote:
I changed it to:
To me, the first sentence has consistent verb tense, but it sounds like ... it was tennis, but now it is ...??? The second sentence seems to make more sense. Which is correct?Which is correct?

Hello, Gada.

First things first. There is no rule, there has never been any rule that requires consistency in verb tenses. This old canard is known as Sequence of Tenses or Tense Concord or probably some other names.

Tenses are chosen to express the meaning that we want to express. There could be no other way for language has to allow us to express all possible thoughts, does it not? You noted that yourself when you said, "The second sentence seems to make more sense".

Both, obviously, are correct. There are many reasons that we "switch" tenses. Tense is more than just a marker of time. We use past tense FORMS, for example, to express politeness/deference/a softer manner/... .

In writing, we often take a more conservative approach, which is likely what your son did here. In speech, we often tell finished stories with the present simple and that particular grammatical flourish is done for semantic reasons. It makes our story more NOW, more alive, I guess, since we all do it, more interesting.

0 Replies