is the pledge unconstitutional?

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:42 pm
@Fido,
Instead of making it seldom bother, make it never bother. If you don't quote my posts when trotting out your idiotic drivel, you'll never hear from me.

Idiot.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:50 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Quote:
By the way,while preserving the union was the main goal, ending slavery became a motive to many of the union forces fighting.

You just pulled that out of a dark and private place didn't you?
Union soldiers couldn't of cared less about rescuing the darkies, preserving the union was the concern.
Try reading a few diaries.
Paleeze do not be an idiot... Just as non union labor lowers the price of union labor, slave labor drove free labor from the South, and Lincoln among other recognized that fact... In fact, the poor whites who remained in the South found their own labor so dishonored by slavery that they would barely lift a finger to help themselves...Consider the free soilers... They did not want anything for the blacks, but did want free soil for free whites...

No one wanted competition with the blacks because no one can compete with a slave without becoming one... For this reason, long before he was president, Lincoln recognized in one of his letters that the South was no place for a poor white to remove to, but to remove from... Any white with a shred of ambition wanted out of the South, but the masters wanted their slaves out of the South as well... You should give white Americans in the war a little more credit... They knew who started the war, and what class provided the officers of the Southern army... They knew the cause long before most politicians were willing to recognize it...

I invite you to say more on this subject... I have read on Lincoln by the Yard, and have books about the Civil War by the foot... I know the subject well...For what it is worth, I have visited more than one battlefield, and honor a relative who fought in nearly every major battle in the Eastern Theatre...
Fido

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Mr. Hamilton,
Point of Information, if I may:

Do u allege
that there is something in the Constitution
that it is like the "Roach Motel" (TM) . . . i.e.,
that the States can check in but thay can 't check out ??

If so, will u identify it ?

David
Lincoln was correct on that subject as well, that if the framers had considered it, they would have provided for it... It is the Declaration of Independence which is the best defense of Southern Actions, but the only defense of revolution, and the ultimate defense of revolution is the successful defense of revolution... The fast fish principal so common to law goes as well for those who depart with their countries....You can have all you can defend...
Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 04:56 pm
No one denies that the underlying cause of the war was slavery. However, that does not authorize your idiotic claim that Lincoln fought the war to redress a contradiction in the constitution. If you have read books about Lincoln "by the yard," i find it odd that you are not familiar with Lincoln's comments to the effect that he was fighting to preserve the union.
Fido

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 05:01 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In view of the many race riots in northern cities immediately after the war, when freed slaves came looking for work, i found that a bit much to swallow myself. During the draft riots in New York in 1863, uncounted numbers of black men were lynched by the mobs in the streets (the most conservative number of civilian dead of which i have heard is 120, and most of those who were not killed by troops firing on the mob were black men lynched by the mob).
What you do not grasp Set, is that plantations were self contained units... If they needed a carpenter, a smith, or a mason; it was the black man that did the work... I have seen statistics that black building trades men far outnumbered white building tradesmen after the war... The old joke about why the wheel barrow was invented took a long time making sense... The Irish who were happy to have jobs as common laborers had to beat the blacks off the job to have it...
I would recommend: Industrial Slavery in the Old South, by Starobin, and Slavery and the Southern Economy, edited by Chandler.
JTT

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 05:28 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
i find it odd that you are not familiar with Lincoln's comments to the effect that he was fighting to preserve the union.

Or like fighting to preserve the north's economic advantage over the south.

Quote:

An editorial in the Charleston Mercury 2 days before the November 1860 election stated: "The real causes of dissatisfaction in the South with the North, are in the unjust taxation and expenditure of the taxes by the Government of the United States, and in the revolution the North has effected in this government from a confederated republic, to a national sectional despotism." And on 21 January 1861, five days before Louisiana seceded, the New Orleans Daily Crescent editorialized: "They [the South] know that it is their import trade that draws from the people's pockets sixty or seventy millions of dollars per annum, in the shape of duties, to be expended mainly in the North, and in the protection and encouragement of Northern interests....These are the reasons why these people [the North] do not wish the South to secede from the Union."

When South Carolina seceded in December 1860, followed by the other Confederate states, all the powerful moneyed interests in the North were in favor of appeasing the South over slavery in order to preserve the Union. If the South were to be a sovereign nation with low tariffs, it could undermine Northern business and trade. The South believed that it did not need the North, since it could buy the goods it needed from Europe, but the North needed the South as a market for Northern goods.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/pearlston1.html

Perhaps the south would have been better off holding a few Tea Parties, appealing to the north to show a little more respect for the ideals of the Revolution, the "when tyranny blah blah blah".
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 06:29 pm
@Fido,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Mr. Hamilton,

Do u allege

David
Fido wrote:
Lincoln was correct on that subject as well, that if the framers had considered it, they would have provided for it...
It is obvious that u do not understand what u r talking about;
i.e., u don t know the operative historical facts. (Lincoln had an ideological ax to grind: his own vu.)

The Founders woud never have intentionally locked their own States
into an inextricable situation. If thay 'd tried to do so,
the States woud have rejected their efforts.

For instance, the will of the Founding States
is expressed in the New York Instrument of Ratification:

" 00/04/17 NY Instrument of Ratification of the Constitution
Record Group 11, The National Archives, Washington, DC

". . . That the powers of government may be reassumed by the people
whensoever it shall become necessary to their happinesss

That the People have a right to keep and bear Arms;
that a well regulated Militia, including the body of the People
capable of bearing Arms,
is the proper, natural and safe defence of a free State;
That the Militia should not be subject to Martial Law, except in time of
War, Rebellion or Insurrection.

THEN: Be it known that We the People of the State of New York, Incorporated in
statehood under the Authority of The Constitution of the United States of America
by the New York Instrument of Ratification, thus are graced by the
full benefits and liberties predicated under that document; or we are made
and held captive under Unlawful Powers to which Under God we cannot,
must not, and do not submit.”
[All emfasis has been added by David.]

Do u think Mr. Lincoln read THAT, Fido ?
I 've heard that several of the other States' Instruments of Ratification
included similar reservations of rights clauses, escape claused, tho I have not checked the others.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 06:36 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
No one denies that the underlying cause of the war was slavery. However, that does not authorize your idiotic claim that Lincoln fought the war to redress a contradiction in the constitution. If you have read books about Lincoln "by the yard," i find it odd that you are not familiar with Lincoln's comments to the effect that he was fighting to preserve the union.
He CERTAINLY was well known for having said that.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:15 pm
@Fido,
Don't tell me what i don't grasp, you great braying jackass. I've rarely encountered someone displaying such profound historical hebetude.

Idiot.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 07:52 pm
@Fido,
Puhleeze don't be a Jackass, the plight of the poor in the south had little, if anything to do with the motive of the average union soldier.
They were fighting to protect the Union, which the south attacked.
They were no more fighting to end slavery, than the average American soldier in Iraq is fighting to obtain oil.

If you understood any of what you've read, then you would know,
Union soldiers marched off to war thinking this would be over with in a short time, after the first year went by, all they cared about was getting back to their homes alive. Ending slavery did not become their motive.
Fido

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:20 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
i find it odd that you are not familiar with Lincoln's comments to the effect that he was fighting to preserve the union.

Or like fighting to preserve the north's economic advantage over the south.

Quote:

An editorial in the Charleston Mercury 2 days before the November 1860 election stated: "The real causes of dissatisfaction in the South with the North, are in the unjust taxation and expenditure of the taxes by the Government of the United States, and in the revolution the North has effected in this government from a confederated republic, to a national sectional despotism." And on 21 January 1861, five days before Louisiana seceded, the New Orleans Daily Crescent editorialized: "They [the South] know that it is their import trade that draws from the people's pockets sixty or seventy millions of dollars per annum, in the shape of duties, to be expended mainly in the North, and in the protection and encouragement of Northern interests....These are the reasons why these people [the North] do not wish the South to secede from the Union."

When South Carolina seceded in December 1860, followed by the other Confederate states, all the powerful moneyed interests in the North were in favor of appeasing the South over slavery in order to preserve the Union. If the South were to be a sovereign nation with low tariffs, it could undermine Northern business and trade. The South believed that it did not need the North, since it could buy the goods it needed from Europe, but the North needed the South as a market for Northern goods.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/pearlston1.html

Perhaps the south would have been better off holding a few Tea Parties, appealing to the north to show a little more respect for the ideals of the Revolution, the "when tyranny blah blah blah".

Preserve the economic advantage over the South??? The South was a millstone on the neck of the American Economy... It did not produce intelligent, able or ambitious individuals, and it did not produce wage earning consumers... In every standard of socil development, it fell far short of the North, and for this section, backwards, cruel, immoral, with airs of nobility about it, the North gave up a large share of its representative government to people who were not free and could not vote... The whole set up was retarded, and bound to end with conflict... Consider the fact that New York City thought for a time of secceeding with the South... They financed that system of inhumanity and took all the profits out of it as they still do with agriculture... They loan the capital, control the markets, and then as now make slaves of the masters so the master can make worse slaves of their slaves...
Fido

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Mr. Hamilton,

Do u allege

David
Fido wrote:
Lincoln was correct on that subject as well, that if the framers had considered it, they would have provided for it...
It is obvious that u do not understand what u r talking about;
i.e., u don t know the operative historical facts. (Lincoln had an ideological ax to grind: his own vu.)

The Founders woud never have intentionally locked their own States
into an inextricable situation. If thay 'd tried to do so,
the States woud have rejected their efforts.

For instance, the will of the Founding States
is expressed in the New York Instrument of Ratification:

" 00/04/17 NY Instrument of Ratification of the Constitution
Record Group 11, The National Archives, Washington, DC

". . . That the powers of government may be reassumed by the people
whensoever it shall become necessary to their happinesss

That the People have a right to keep and bear Arms;
that a well regulated Militia, including the body of the People
capable of bearing Arms,
is the proper, natural and safe defence of a free State;
That the Militia should not be subject to Martial Law, except in time of
War, Rebellion or Insurrection.

THEN: Be it known that We the People of the State of New York, Incorporated in
statehood under the Authority of The Constitution of the United States of America
by the New York Instrument of Ratification, thus are graced by the
full benefits and liberties predicated under that document; or we are made
and held captive under Unlawful Powers to which Under God we cannot,
must not, and do not submit.”
[All emfasis has been added by David.]

Do u think Mr. Lincoln read THAT, Fido ?
I 've heard that several of the other States' Instruments of Ratification
included similar reservations of rights clauses, escape claused, tho I have not checked the others.

David
Lincoln was too much the realist to be an ideologue... I have read in depth on Lincoln... You have not got the nads or the brains to prove I don;t know what I am talking about... Yes, if you say that he had moral objections to slavery, I will agree... If you say that he thought it was more than within his power to try to limit slavery to the states where it was established, then, NO... He did support and seek the support of abolishonists, but there is plenty of evidence that he thought tampering with the whole institution was beyond possible... Property rights are more essential to the constitution of this country than are civil or individual rights... No one dared to pull out a brick anywhere for fear of the whole thing falling down, and that is why property rights were strengthened rather than weakened after the war...

There is a big difference between secession and rebellion... Any fool can see that our true founding document was the declaration of independence, and that says people have the right to revolt, but the constitution does not make any provision for the disassembly of the United States once the constitution superceded the articles of confederation... Even today, the only legal revolution would require the same sort of superceding of one authority by another... In a sense, peaceful change should be entirely possible, but taking the government, as the South could never do is only the first step... The next step is to defend the government you now own from reaction...

Have any of you read the coopers union address???
Fido

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:33 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Puhleeze don't be a Jackass, the plight of the poor in the south had little, if anything to do with the motive of the average union soldier.
They were fighting to protect the Union, which the south attacked.
They were no more fighting to end slavery, than the average American soldier in Iraq is fighting to obtain oil.

If you understood any of what you've read, then you would know,
Union soldiers marched off to war thinking this would be over with in a short time, after the first year went by, all they cared about was getting back to their homes alive. Ending slavery did not become their motive.
You do not believe that the Northern soldier recognized that they were fighting slave states, and that the abolitionists had supported the republican party, and that the election of Lincoln with the support of the abolitionist did not precipitate that war??? You need to eat some of Setanta's **** until you smarten up... His **** is smarter than you are...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:36 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Property rights are more essential to the constitution of this country than are civil or individual rights...
Property rights ARE Individual rights.

David
Fido

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 08:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Fido wrote:
Property rights are more essential to the constitution of this country than are civil or individual rights...

David

Non sense... First of all, they are unequal since not all own property, and they give greater rights to those who own more... Look at one of the rights of property, that being the right to influence the course of government... No one owning a house will have the power to influence with campaign contributions what a man who owns a whole block of house will have, or a factory, or many factories... When money talks those without money can shout without being heard... Yet those with property have exactly the same civil rights as you, or as one without property... In fact, no person on the street can hope to escape search and seizure, but no one would think to search property without warrant... Property rights because of their inequality are the reason the rich get richer... The poor cannot protect themselves at all in the unequal contest of rights, and those with less property cannot defend themselves in the contest with those having more property... The very inequality of property rights argues against it being a right, and says it is a privilage... What all civil rights have in common is their equality... I cannot possibly have more of a right to life than you... I cannot possibly have more of a right to justice than you, or to peace, or to privacy, or to happiness... Not one of my rights should come at the expense of yours, and yet we all pay with our civil rights for the protection of property rights...
wayne

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:06 pm
@Fido,
Oh come on, the election of Lincoln precipitated the seccession.
The attack on Fort Sumter precipitated the war.

The Union had abolished slavery, blocked the expansion of slavery into the western territories. From the Union perspective, the issue of slavery was settled.
The cotton states simply cared less about the preservation of our developing United States than they did about the preservation of their status quo.
They had painted themselves into a corner.
The northern soldier already lived in an emerging industrial nation, the preservation of which was their motive, after the south attacked them.

You seem to have a serious problem understanding what a Republic stands for, we are a nation of law. The law may have been set against slavery, but that don't make the motive for the war.
Don't you know why they called it the rebel army?
JTT

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:41 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
Preserve the economic advantage over the South??? The South was a millstone on the neck of the American Economy.

Quote:
Earlier, in December 1860, before any secession, the Chicago Daily Times foretold the disaster that Southern free ports would bring to Northern commerce: "In one single blow our foreign commerce must be reduced to less than one-half what it now is. Our coastwise trade would pass into other hands. One-half of our shipping would lie idle at our wharves. We should lose our trade with the South, with all of its immense profits. Our manufactories would be in utter ruins. Let the South adopt the free-trade system, or that of a tariff for revenue, and these results would likely follow."

JTT

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:53 pm
@wayne,
Quote:
Oh come on, the election of Lincoln precipitated the seccession.
The attack on Fort Sumter precipitated the war.

Quote:
Similarly, the economic editor of the NY Times, who had maintained for months that secession would not injure Northern commerce or prosperity, changed his mind on 22 March 1861: "At once shut down every Southern port, destroy its commerce and bring utter ruin on the Confederate States." On 18 March, the Boston Transcript noted that while the Southern states had claimed to secede over the slavery issue, now "the mask has been thrown off and it is apparent that the people of the principal seceding states are now for commercial independence. They dream that the centres of traffic can be changed from Northern to Southern ports....by a revenue system verging on free trade...."

In late March 1861, over a hundred leading commercial importers in New York, and a similar group in Boston, informed the collector of customs that they would not pay duties on imported goods unless these same duties were collected at Southern ports. This was followed by a threat from New York to withdraw from the Union and establish a free-trade zone. Prior to these events, Lincoln's plan was to evacuate Fort Sumter and not precipitate a war, but he now determined to reinforce it rather than suffer prolonged economic disaster in a losing trade war. That reinforcement effort was met with force by the South, and the dreadful conflict was upon us.

Quote:
The Union had abolished slavery, blocked the expansion of slavery into the western territories. From the Union perspective, the issue of slavery was settled.
The cotton states simply cared less about the preservation of our developing United States than they did about the preservation of their status quo.

It seems that the opposite is true. The north was concerned about "the preservation of their status quo". The north was the one that put on heavy tariffs that aided them and put the same burden on southerners that had precipitated the fight against Britain.

Quote:
You seem to have a serious problem understanding what a Republic stands for, we are a nation of law. The law may have been set against slavery, but that don't make the motive for the war.

If it was a nation of law, why would the union have forced the southern states into a relationship they didn't want. That is a complete opposite of what the whole idea was at the beginning; a set of sovereign states coming together to form a union, but keeping to them the right to leave such a union if it was not in their interests to stay.

Quote:

Consider, for example, a quote by author Charles Dickens in a London periodical in December 1861, "Union means so many millions a year lost to the South; secession means the loss of the same millions to the North. The love of money is the root of this as of many other evils....The quarrel between the North and South is, as it stands, solely a fiscal quarrel". As Adams notes, the South paid an undue proportion of federal revenues derived from tariffs, and these were expended by the federal government more in the North than the South: in 1840, the South paid 84% of the tariffs, rising to 87% in 1860. They paid 83% of the $13 million federal fishing bounties paid to New England fishermen, and also paid $35 million to Northern shipping interests which had a monopoly on shipping from Southern ports. The South, in effect, was paying tribute to the North.

Quote:
Don't you know why they called it the rebel army?

Of course. It was propaganda pure and simple.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:58 pm
@Fido,

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Fido wrote:

David
Fido wrote:
Non sense... First of all, they are unequal since not all own property,
There is nothing rong with that.
wayne

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:47 am
@JTT,
Quote:
It seems that the opposite is true. The north was concerned about "the preservation of their status quo". The north was the one that put on heavy tariffs that aided them and put the same burden on southerners that had precipitated the fight against Britain.

You don't seem to want to understand that the Union was engaged in building a diversified and industrial nation. They were concerned with progress and growth. That is not the same as maintaining the status quo.

Quote:
If it was a nation of law, why would the union have forced the southern states into a relationship they didn't want. That is a complete opposite of what the whole idea was at the beginning; a set of sovereign states coming together to form a union, but keeping to them the right to leave such a union if it was not in their interests to stay.

If that was the case, why did the south feel it necessary to open hostilities against the Union?
We'll never know what the union might have done had the South not committed an act of aggression.
That action made them rebels, plain and simple.
They went from political strife to armed rebellion in one stupid move.