5
   

Separation of State and Church?

 
 
parados
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 09:14 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

In America, you have the right to believe in the God of your choice. Thank you Thomas Jefferson.

So.. I can believe that my creator is NOT a God.

So much for your argument then.
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 09:40 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
A hypothesis of evolution was in existence in the early 19th century (Lamark) along with a linnaean system of taxonomy. I find it unlikely that Jefferson wasn't aware of the concept of evolution and species identification as books on these subjects were in his library.

Moreover, Jefferson was aware of the large fossils of unknown species in Kentucky (Big Bone Lick) and even traveled there to personally observe them.

One of the things he specifically told Lewis to look for species that were similar to those fossils (none were found).

Consequently, Jefferson's concept of a 'creator' was much broader than the biblical one.

BTW scientific theories aren't 'invented', they're discovered. Machines are invented.

Rap
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 09:42 am
@parados,
You can believe a gopher is your god if you want to or you can believe you are the gopher's god. It's called freedom and you can thank Thomas Jefferson.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 09:43 am
@raprap,
Evolution is not a proven fact.
Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:12 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:

Evolution is not a proven fact.

Yes it is. I suggest that you read up on the evidence for it and think again.
parados
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:13 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
And it completely undermines your "Creator" argument.
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:16 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Neither is gravity, no scientific theory can be categorically proven. Theories aren't mathematical theorems.

However, the theory of evolution has been overwhelmingly supported by observation and experiment. Something that neither ID or Lamarck hasn't; although Lamarck's hypothesis did provide a method of falsifiability.

Rap
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:20 am
@Thomas,
There are scientists who believe in evolution and there are scientists who believe in creationism. There is microevolution and there is macroevolution.
Believing in a creator does not automatically mean you do not believe in evolution.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:21 am
@parados,
Then Thomas Jefferson was wrong.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:21 am
@raprap,
Really. Have you ever seen an animal grow a tail or any new appendage?
Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:22 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:
Then Thomas Jefferson was wrong.

Yes he was. So?
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:27 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
A frog.

You are too easy.

http://www.slate.com/id/2127052/

Rap
Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:27 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:
Really. Have you ever seen an animal grow a tail or any new appendage?

We humans are animals, and humans are occasionally born with tails.

http://www.creation-vs-evolution.us/visual-evolution/human-tails/human_tails_10.jpg

If and when tails are favored by the selective environment of humanity, humans with tails will accumulate in the population. And perhaps they will pity us tail-less freaks just as we pity them today.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:30 am
@Thomas,
Is every person who believes we are given our rights by our creator wrong also?
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:33 am
@raprap,
Slate????? Why don't you just use Star magazine? Same level.
Thomas
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:34 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Renaldo Dubois wrote:
Is every person who believes we are given our rights by our creator wrong also?

Yes they are, because we were created by natural selection, acting on heredity with random variations. This process cannot bestow rights in any meaningful way.
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:34 am
@Thomas,
Photos can be doctored quite easily.
0 Replies
 
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:34 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Nor is the converse wrong.

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/

http://www.catholic.com/library/Adam_Eve_and_Evolution.asp

Rap
0 Replies
 
Renaldo Dubois
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:36 am
@Thomas,
Oh my. I don't know what we are going to do now. We're all wrong according to you. Oh my. A nation founded on a document written by a backwards American.
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 10:37 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
I realize that 'Slate' isn't Murdock or 'merican thunker and as such isn't "fair and balanced.'

Rap
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2022 at 11:51:43