Uncovered - the original version

hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 06:15 pm
The Small Faces version of this just came up on random - so I thought Led Zep might have ripped it off them - of course not, Led Zep are the kings of the blues rip off - here's the original (I think)

Full story hear by the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Lotta_Love

Writer Willie Dixon settled out of court with Led Zep in 1985 - he never bothered suing the Small Faces' Lane and Marriott who never credited him.
panzade

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 06:17 pm
@hingehead,
http://991.com/NewGallery/Ray-Charles-Modern-Sounds-In-533964.jpg

1. Bye Bye Love
2. You Don't Know Me
3. Half as Much
4. I Love You So Much It Hurts
5. Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long Way)
6. Born to Lose
7. Worried Mind
8. It Makes No Difference Now
9. You Win Again
10. Careless Love
11. I Can't Stop Loving You
12. Hey, Good Lookin'
13. You Are My Sunshine [*]
14. Here We Go Again [*]
15. That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day

They were all covers. How many of the original artists can you name?
panzade

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 06:20 pm
@hingehead,
Whole Lotta Love. The original.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 06:29 pm
@panzade,
Only the Everly Brothers on the first track (?) - when I said 'earliest' I mean I was around three years old - my parents didn't buy a record player until the early seventies. I remember the song from the radio - we lived in garage on a block of land in the burbs my parents bought. Dad built the house over five years in his spare time.

Other songs I remember on the radio are 'Personality', 'Congratulations' and one that drives me nuts to this day, because I've never been able to figure out it was. Something about a grandfather's shed and smoking (I think).

I don't remember the Beatles on the radio in those days at all (1963 to 1968) - my parents had rather conservative tastes - they didn't buy records until the 70s (well, they didn't have a player so there wasn't much point).

I really hate the backing chorus Charles used on that track - it's a sound I associate with a fair bit of music from that period - it always seemed unmusical and shouted to me. Have no idea why.
hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 06:32 pm
@hingehead,
Footnote.

US Country is/was not a major genre in Oz - although my dad had a penchant for Jim Reeves. Urk.
panzade

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 06:38 pm
@hingehead,
It was a major genre in 1944 and 45 hinge.
With all them Yanks bringing their music American country became real popular in Oz.
How do I know this? My mother(grew up in Sydney) knows all the 40's and 50's hits
hingehead

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 07:19 pm
@panzade,
Sydney isn't Australia. And your mother's taste may have been influenced by her beau. Seriously - you look at the charts for the fifties (admittedly they don't start until 1956) the only countryish artists are the Everly Brothers and Johnny Cash, a little Marty Robbins, Frankie Laine and Guy Mitchell. No Hank Williams, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb. Basically stuff that had crossover appeal.

We didn't have genre radio stations or massive regional differences in taste like the US. Even our home bred country stars were rare visitors to the charts.

My dad was a country boy, and my mother was a German refugee. And dirt poor. I guess what I'm saying is I had no exposure to it until well after the fact and despite what your mom's experience it wasn't mainstream anything like the US.

Edit - just realised I read what said wrong - it may have been big in 44/45 but the taste for it faded after demob apparently.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 08:10 pm
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

http://991.com/NewGallery/Ray-Charles-Modern-Sounds-In-533964.jpg

1. Bye Bye Love Everly Bros
2. You Don't Know Me Eddy Arnold
3. Half as Much Hank Williams
4. I Love You So Much It Hurts Floyd Tilman
5. Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long Way) Eddy Arnold
6. Born to Lose - forgot
7. Worried Mind -
8. It Makes No Difference Now -
9. You Win Again Hank Williams
10. Careless Love -
11. I Can't Stop Loving You Don Gibson
12. Hey, Good Lookin' Hank Williams
13. You Are My Sunshine [*] Jimmy Davis
14. Here We Go Again [*]
15. That Lucky Old Sun (Just Rolls Around Heaven All Day Frankie Laine?
They were all covers. How many of the original artists can you name?

Panz, I have Ray's Modern Sounds albums on vinyl. Some cuts are among the most beautiful recordings I ever heard.
panzade

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2011 09:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was trolling for edgar. Good job son.
I feel the same

Born to Lose - Eddy Arnold
Laine did Lucky Old Sun
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2011 08:34 am
This 1939 recording of an African folk song led to the popular The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:42 pm
Panzade posted the classic Jeff Beck version on 'What are you listening to right now?" - I've always known Stevie Wonder wrote it, but I'd never heard the original. Research. He wrote it for ex wife Syreeta's debut album...

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2011 11:28 pm
Hmmm. I wonder how many people know Shivers by Nick Cave's first band The Boys Next Door - well known in Oz. Anyway - it was bought into the band's repertoire by the writer who joined the band from The Young Charlatans who did the original

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 11:31 pm
I don't recall if this song was done on here already -

Written by Ervin Drake in 1961 for The Kingston Trio, who recorded it on their album Goin' Places. Frank Sinatra's 1965 version won Grammys in 1966 for Best Male Vocal Performance and Best Instrumental Arrangement

hingehead

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 12:24 am
@edgarblythe,
What a **** not to be able to find the original version. Great addition to this thread EB!

BTW our local national youth broadcaster used to a segment called (among other things over the years) 'Retroperspective' which featured artists favourite five songs (or variations on that theme. 'Good Year' was in Iggy Pop's top five. I kid you not.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 01:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
Frank's version is in my top 5. No doubt.
I had forgotten that I had it by the Trio.
Good pick son.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2012 09:15 am
In 1976, I saw Linda Ronstadt in concert and was most impressed when she performed "Down So Low."

The song was written by Tracy Nelson and first performed by her on a 1968 album.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 05:42 pm
Something a little different.

The Platters original version of Only You - recorded on Federal - the one everyone knows is the Mercury version which is a little more rocknroll and less doowop....

Federal Original:

Mercury Best Seller
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 06:07 pm
@hingehead,
That was a surprise to me -
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 08:50 pm
"Cotton Fields" is a song written by blues musician Huddie Ledbetter, better known as Lead Belly who made the first recording of the song in 1940.

Early versionsRecorded by Lead Belly in 1940, "Cotton Fields" was introduced into the canon of folk music via its inclusion on the 1954 album release Odetta & Larry which comprised performances by Odetta at the Tin Angel nightclub in San Francisco with instrumental and vocal accompaniment by Lawrence Mohr: this version was entitled "Old Cotton Fields at Home". The song's profile was boosted via its recording by Harry Belafonte first on his 1958 album Belafonte Sings the Blues with a live version appearing on the 1959 concert album Belafonte at Carnegie Hall: Belafonte had learned "Cotton Fields" from Odetta and been singing it in concert as early as 1955. A #13 hit in 1961 for The Highwaymen, "Cotton Fields" served as an album track for a number of C&W and folk-rock acts including Ferlin Husky (The Heart and Soul of Ferlin Husky 1963), Buck Owens (On the Bandstand 1963), the New Christy Minstrels (Chim-Chim-Cheree 1965) and the Seekers (Roving With The Seekers 1964): Odetta also made a new studio recording of the song for her 1963 album One Grain of Sand. The Springfields included "Cotton Fields" on a 1962 EP release: this version is featured on the CD On An Island Of Dreams: The Best Of The Springfields. "Cotton Fields" was also recorded by Unit 4+2 for their Concrete and Clay album (1965). A rendering in French: "L'enfant do", was recorded in 1962 by Petula Clark. Also two versions by the Beach Boys.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2012 11:24 pm
This one was a revelation. I really dug The Dave Clark 5.
Their only #1 in the US.