Forgivness in Christianity

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:00 pm
Assuming a christian god exists, what incentive would there be to do good if you can just repent your sins, be forgiven and go to heaven?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:21 pm
@coolcubed,
...I think you are confusing it with the rules of acquisition, Ferengenar and the divine treasure...but if you ask me it does n' t much matter...the path to the absurd is really in itself a pretentious absurd...
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 11:01 pm
@coolcubed,
Goodness knows.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:24 pm
@coolcubed,
any TRUE CHRISTIAN and not so to speak a wolf in sheeps clothing knows that salvation IS doing good for yourself and others loving everyone as yourself. and believing in GOD with all you mind body and soul. that is the key to salvation to get you into heaven. because we are all sinners. so if God looked on our sins NO ONE would make it, we would all fall short of idealism. and if you dont believe in God what is your incentive to live? because most athiest dont believe in an afterlife. So what is the incentive to do good at any point in your life? and in my opinion truly repenting is trying to make atleast a conscious effert to stop your wrongs and not just saying it. though with GOD anything is possible
coolcubed

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
To be honest with you I have no idea what Ferengenar and the divine treasure is...and when i googled it the top two results were your post and a chocolate company...
coolcubed

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:38 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
Good point. But how can we believe in god with all our mind, body and soul when there are no signs of him in the world today? The best we can really do is hope, and in hoping deceive ourselves into believing, so that we can think that there is something after death. I am a non-believer, (as you have probably already guessed) and I enjoy life, not fearing death, for I know that in death I will not seek life, and therefore not be unhappy.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:49 pm
@coolcubed,
Star Trek Deep Space Nine...it was a comment joke concerning your mentioning on "incentives"... Wink
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:01 pm
@coolcubed,
you can believe with your mind by listening to your consciounce. you believe with your body by treating others as you would want to be treated. and if you understand these 2 you would die for God because he dies for you and I and everyone else. it says an evil generation will seek after a sign that should be a sign enough for you. but if you need more,google miracles and see people who have stigmata's etc (that is where someone bears the wounds of Christ) and you are most definally not deceiving yourself into believing something that is not true. Have you ever heard the saying seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing?
coolcubed

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 03:37 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You misunderstand me. I do not disagree with the morals in the bible. I too believe that you should treat others as you would want to be treated, and I am in perfect agreement with the last six of the ten commandments. God has not died for me, and even if he exists he probably never will. You give credit to god for miracles and yet you do not blame him for the horrible things that happen in the world every day: "A quarter of a million people die in Japan? An unfortunate coincidence. One blind person is now able to see? Praise the lord!"
As for the saying, it is wrong. I will believe what i see and not the other way around. If I were to tell you that there was an invisible giant hamburger in the sky that rewarded do-gooders and punished sinners, and once you started believing in his ketchupy power, he would show himself to you and you would go to heaven, would you believe me? I didn't think so.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:00 pm
@coolcubed,
its good you agree with morals from the bible, and its good that you believe at least 6 of the ten major commandments but when Jesus came he destroyed death and changed the ten into 2 most important commandments. a new covanent. to free us from sin. For what credit is it to you to say you believe some of the bible but not other parts. either you should reject it all or believe it all. and sadly to say if you don't believe the most important which is Jesus died for our sins and then really believing in the other has no effect. because there IS NO SALVATION in the LAWS. WE ALL BREAK THEM! you go ten min. break one you go your whole life and break them all! How can one believe half and reason in there heart and say this sounds good to me i am going to believe and then say this doesn't add up i don't like it I choose not to believe???ONE day you will believe something and i Pray for your sake and all those doubters that they do believe. and who is to say that it was God's fault for the deaths around the world such as in Japan?? Sadly there is a Satan, and yes sadly there is a hell. How do you know all the answers that you can even question God? you say you believe by seeing but then at the same time say there is no proof to prove he exists. if that's the case then there God is not to blame then huh? everything happens for a reason. I don't have all the answers but at least i Know that those sacrificial angels in japan are in heaven. and while we are on the subject of God's at fault for japan's disaster who do you say did it if there is no God or how do you conjure up to explain things of that magnitude??
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:10 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
if i were to tell you right now that everyone of those souls perished to save one (probably many more) evil person from going to hell and they ALL are in Heaven now would all those people who died in Japan not be happy in Heaven?? for they gave there life in a God they for their whole life didn't believe and now are highly seated in Gods Kingdom because of their sacrifice. and are glorifying God right now as we speak for God using Satan's evil and doing good. God works in mysterious ways. he does good. and is so profound he uses Satan's evil for good!
0 Replies

coolcubed

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:17 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
There is a difference betweem being in agreement with and believing. I choose to follow the last six commandments not because the bible tells me to or because I want to go to heaven, but because they are morally correct. I do not believe in heaven, or hell, or god.You persecute me for picking and choosing my religious laws, and yet you do the same, unless you stone all homosexualls, and avoid wearing clothes with mixed fibers. God is not to blame for the Japan disaster, but neither is he to credit for the blind people who can now see.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:21 pm
@coolcubed,
You persecute me for picking and choosing my religious laws, and yet you do the same, unless you stone all homosexualls, and avoid wearing clothes with mixed fibers. God is not to blame for the Japan disaster, but neither is he to credit for the blind people who can now see.

How in any way do i persecute you? and who is to say that i agree with stoning homosexuals? and if you didn't feel God was to blame for the diaster, or to credit for the blind being healed why then did you origionally post that?
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:44 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
you posted that because you believe that was how i felt? I definatly DO not believe God is to blame for diasters, and I definatly Do believe God IS to credit for healings. I dont understand what the purpose of the origional post was.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:12 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
You give credit to god for miracles and yet you do not blame him for the horrible things that happen in the world every day:

that is because i do not believe he is responsible for the tradgedies. I believe Satan is the reason these things happen. and yes, I do give credit to God for the positive things for they are good. And I believe all good things come from God
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 02:41 am
@coolcubed,
I will believe what i see and not the other way around.

wow, I guess you don't believe that some of the most famous people who ever existed did exist then because the only way to prove it is by reading books. such as George Washington, Nostadomues, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Lao- Tzu, Mohammed, Sadartha, King Lou the XIII, etc. and that you were ever conceived then because you did not actually see it happening. you were apart of it. and if you at the age of 1 day old remember your birth exactly what it was like please write a book and publish it for us because the rest of us only really remember from about 3 yrs and up. Have you not ever seen old family movies of you when you were 2 or younger but don't actually remember them happening at the time? If one of your family members said that you had done something when you were 2 yrs old or younger but didn't remember you mean to tell me you would be in disbelieve till someone in your family produced a video depicting the exact action??? I didn't think so. and if your answer is truly yes you would have doubted them. I feel so sorry for you and i think you need to put a little more faith in people and God. That is a mustard seed of how faith and trust without reservation works with God my Athiest friend. And if you believe that these people existed because there is quote unquote ENOUGH evidence to support it I feel in my opinion you should be open minded as even if you reject or disagree with Jesus that he most certainly came here and taught as it spoken so of...Just on the basis that for over 2000 years it is the MOST read and MOST published book in the world! so to again pick and choose and say this man was real hes in a book but then saying another did not where more in the world have faith in that than any other man who ever walked the earth shows no true wisdom or enlightenment or openmindedness at all
vikorr

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:14 am
Oh goody !

Quote:
if you dont believe in God what is your incentive to live?

Happiness of course. The challenge of a new day. That laughter that is experienced in the world. The growth that we can achieve. The relationships that we can form. The things that we can create. The variety that we can experience. These are all reasons to live, and these are life.
Quote:
So what is the incentive to do good at any point in your life?

Only a christian, without having thought through things, would ask this question. Incentive to do good is in abundance should you choose to look and see. See above for some.
Quote:
and in my opinion truly repenting is trying to make atleast a conscious effert to stop your wrongs and not just saying it.

Repentance is growth. You can grow till you no longer need to do what you did before. Most times, that is not a little effort, but a lot.
Quote:
you can believe with your mind by listening to your consciounce.

No – that is simply learning to listen to your conscience.
Quote:
you believe with your body by treating others as you would want to be treated.

Umm...the actions of the body in this quote require a knowledge of how you want to be treated, and an attitude to treat others the same.
Quote:
and if you understand these 2 you would die for God because he dies for you and I and everyone else.

This does not follow on from the former.
Quote:
For what credit is it to you to say you believe some of the bible but not other parts. either you should reject it all or believe it all.

Rubbish. Everything should be judged on it’s own merit. If you have a dozen tomatoes and 6 of them are good and 6 are rotten, do you accept them all as good, or all as bad? No, you can discern which are rotten and which are good, and you judge each on their own merit.
Quote:
How do you know all the answers that you can even question God?

Didn’t you say listen to your conscience?

It didn't take a genius to figure that God sending a she bear to rip apart children (for no greater 'sin' than calling Elijah 'old baldy') was evil.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:53 am
@vikorr,
if you dont believe in God what is your incentive to live?

your response: Happiness of course. The challenge of a new day. That laughter that is experienced in the world. The growth that we can achieve. The relationships that we can form. The things that we can create. The variety that we can experience. These are all reasons to live, and these are life.

Mine: Do you believe you have started on the right foot on one of your core beliefs is friendships in showing me love as a brother or sister???

Quote:

So what is the incentive to do good at any point in your life?

Only a christian, without having thought through things, would ask this question. Incentive to do good is in abundance should you choose to look and see. See above for some.
Quote:

mine: and is personally attacking Christians doing good in abundance to you? we differ in thought but we both share the same planet.

and in my opinion truly repenting is trying to make atleast a conscious effert to stop your wrongs and not just saying it.

Repentance is growth. You can grow till you no longer need to do what you did before. Most times, that is not a little effort, but a lot.

Mine: indeed Correct it is most times a lot of work. I gave a geneal more desciptive definition and now i am going into it deeper so we agree there!

Quote:

you can believe with your mind by listening to your consciounce.

No – that is simply learning to listen to your conscience.

Mine: what is the difference here. was this stated just to cause strife??

Quote:

you believe with your body by treating others as you would want to be treated.

Umm...the actions of the body in this quote require a knowledge of how you want to be treated, and an attitude to treat others the same.

Mine: So then I guess I should just try to tear you down then rather then say I love you, because that is essentailly what you are trying to do to me and namly all Christians.

Quote:

and if you understand these 2 you would die for God because he dies for you and I and everyone else.

This does not follow on from the former.

Mine: It absolutely does because one of the most important is to be willing to die for another if needed as well as God. So many athiest say they are content and value life but are content. Really? because I would take a bullet for you not knowing you or your beliefs. Would you do the same for me if your whole core belief is that you have one life and there is no after life

Quote:

For what credit is it to you to say you believe some of the bible but not other parts. either you should reject it all or believe it all.

Rubbish. Everything should be judged on it’s own merit. If you have a dozen tomatoes and 6 of them are good and 6 are rotten, do you accept them all as good, or all as bad? No, you can discern which are rotten and which are good, and you judge each on their own merit.

Mine: funny how you compare a dozen tomatoes to the bible but if that is how you descern. then to clarify it is good to start somewere in believing the bible. but what then if you dont believe your consciouce is God speaking to you differenciates what parts are good and bad in your eyes? Why not just accept it as ALL GOOD and no doubt what YOU choose not to believe??

Quote:

How do you know all the answers that you can even question God?

Didn’t you say listen to your conscience?

Mine: And your Conscience (Gods voice) is speaking to you before and probably after this is posted and just rather being ruthless toward me?? wow I guess why I can see why You don't believe in God. I wouldn't want to believe in something so blasphemies either...I tell you that voice you hear telling you that is not of God but of Satan. Start believieng and the Devil will flee then you will hear Truly Gods voice. because it is clearly not depicted in your actions when we agree or not.

It didn't take a genius to figure that God sending a she bear to rip apart children (for no greater 'sin' than calling Elijah 'old baldy') was evil.

mine: SEE the last 5 remarks i made and see that it doesn't take a child long to find out that one of us is right on this subject. just by the shear act of slandering they will be able to see the truth in who speaks.
coolcubed

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 02:59 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
As far as I know George Washington isn't asking for me to worship him. Anyway, 99% of all people will believe in all the people you mentioned, (except for "Nostadomues" because there is no such person, maybe you meant Nostradamus) and only a third of people are christian. Your logic completely flawed. You assume that since I don't believe in something that I can't see, I automatically don't believe in everything I don't see. Going by your logic, once someone believed in their own conception, they would see it happening.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 07:12 pm
@coolcubed,
You assume that since I don't believe in something that I can't see, I automatically don't believe in everything I don't see.

I don't assume anything first, and please explain of some other things perhaps Dieties that by your logic you believe in without actually seeing? And if you can then grasp the fact that certain things exsist that you don't or can't see...how then can it be said that it is not possible or flawed to Have a God who chooses to test faith in people from that very same manner?
0 Replies