What kind of transcript do you need to go back to college as a returning student?

firefly

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I already got my first degree as an undergraduate, so wouldn't that make me a graduate student? I could take Continuing Education classes at my old school but I wouldn't get a degree.

Aren't returning students graduate students?

Right now, JGoldman10, I am doubting that you ever attended, much less graduated, from a 4 year liberal arts college or university. Your ignorance of the most basic information, and vocabulary, associated with college attendance, has destroyed any credibility you might have had in that regard.

No, just because you hold an undergraduate degree, or are a returning student, does not automatically make you a graduate student. Graduate students are those taking graduate level courses or who have matriculated for a graduate level degree.

I don't suppose you know whether the courses you want to take in illustration/cartooning are graduate or undergraduate courses, do you?
If you have had no prior courses in those areas, you might want to take them at the undergraduate level, but without matriculating for another undergraduate degree--just take the courses you are interested in, if you can do that.

All things being equal, take those courses through the college's Continuing Education program if you can do so. You don't need another degree to work in the field you want to go into, you simply need to learn techniques and methods in illustration/cartooning. It is certainly less expensive to take a course in a Continuing Ed program, but compare the course description in the Continuing Ed program to the course description for the comparable regular undergraduate course in the same area to see whether they are equivalent in content and whether they address the sorts of things you want to learn. If they both appear to cover the same ground, and will both provide you with what you are looking for, then go with the Continuing Ed course, rather than the regular undergraduate course, and save yourself a lot of money.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:30 pm
@firefly,
I was an ANIMATION student- I have a BFA in ANIMATION/FILM. I want to GO BACK and GET A SECOND DEGREE in ILLUSTRATION/CARTOONING so I CAN DO MY COMICS.

No-I DON'T KEEP UP WITH ALL OF THIS- IT IS NOT IMPORTANT TO ME. I HAD MY PARENTS HELP WITH THIS STUFF WHEN I WAS A STUDENT.

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO USE MY ANIMATION DEGREE TO GET A JOB WITH. I HAVE NOT HAD TOO MUCH SUCCESS WITH IT BECAUSE I NEED TO KNOW QUARK, FLASH, ILLUSTRATOR AND PHOTOSHOP, WHICH I SHOULD HAVE LEARNED A LONG TIME AGO. I HAVE BEEN OUT OF SCHOOL A LITTLE OVER A DECADE. I DON'T KEEP UP WITH THIS STUFF.

You are FRIGGIN' CRITICAL and it's NOT NECESSARY. Then you WONDER WHY I have you on ignore.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT YOU THINK- I AM NOT TRYING TO IMPRESS YOU OR GET YOUR APPROVAL.
firefly

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
. I want to GO BACK and GET A SECOND DEGREE in ILLUSTRATION/CARTOONING so I CAN DO MY COMICS.

You don't need a second degree to do your comics, you simply need to take the courses in illustration/cartooning that you didn't take your first time around.

Does the college offer a MFA degree in illustration/cartooning? If so, does it require prior undergraduate course work in that area? If it does, then you must take those courses at the undergraduate level first if you haven't taken them before.

But, as I've said, you really don't need another degree, you simply need to take courses in illustration/cartooning, either regular undergraduate courses, or similar courses in a Continuing Ed program.
Quote:
I HAD MY PARENTS HELP WITH THIS STUFF WHEN I WAS A STUDENT.

It's time you learn to do these things on your own. You talk about starting your own comic book business, but you seem unable to get, or understand, basic admission information from a college catalog or college Web site. If you can't do these things by yourself, you will not be able to start or run a business.

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:04 pm
@firefly,
I need a degree in Illustration/Cartooning- a lot of the jobs I am looking at require you to have a degree in it.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:05 pm
@firefly,
What is an MFA? A degree who can get in 2 years? hey don't have a 2 year program.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I need a degree in Illustration/Cartooning- a lot of the jobs I am looking at require you to have a degree in it.

Then apply to a degree program.

A MFA is a Masters in Fine Arts--a Masters degree--a graduate degree.

Go read the college catalog, or the information on the college Web site, for both undergraduate and graduate degrees in illustration/cartooning, and figure out if you qualify for graduate courses with no prior course work in that area. If you do qualify, then apply for admission to that graduate program. If you don't qualify for a graduate program, or if they have no graduate program in that area, then you will have to apply for admission on the undergraduate level.

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:03 pm
@firefly,
1. STOP JUDGING ME
2. STOP BEING CONDESCENDING

You ASSUME I know what the heck you are talking about and I don't.

MY PARENTS HELPED ME TO GET MY SUBMISSIONS PORTFOLIO TOGETHER AND THEY HELPED ME TO GET MY FINANCIAL AID TOGETHER SO I COULD GO TO SCHOOL.

IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT?

The BAD thing I learned about college is they ASSUME students KNOW what the heck they are doing. Most students are DEPENDENT students- they don't all know what the heck they are doing.

I never interned- they SHOULD HAVE STRESSED AND?OR ENFORCED THE IMPORTANCE OF INTERNSHIPS.

That is ANOTHER REASON I WANT ANOTHER DEGREE- so I CAN INTERN.
firefly

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
You ASSUME I know what the heck you are talking about and I don't.

MY PARENTS HELPED ME TO GET MY SUBMISSIONS PORTFOLIO TOGETHER AND THEY HELPED ME TO GET MY FINANCIAL AID TOGETHER SO I COULD GO TO SCHOOL.

IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT?

So, ask them to help you do it again. Ask them to help you assemble and submit whatever application/admission documents, forms, transcripts, etc. you need in order to apply to the college you wish to attend.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:16 pm
@firefly,
Like I said I want a degree in Illustration/Cartooning so I can:

do my comics
intern
get a job

I haven't been in school in over a decade. I was asking myself am I too old to go back to school, but then I said to myself, what's 4 years? No one can afford to go back to school right after getting their first degree.

I still have to take care of issues with student loans before I can go back to school.
firefly

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 12:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you are nowhere near ready to return to school, because of your previous student loan obligations, why are you worrying about what kind of transcript you need to submit with your application? Why did you start this thread? You'll be collecting Social Security before you ever manage to do anything.

Trying to help you is a waste of time. I am sorry I bothered.
http://www.kitchendetailsanddesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/pulling-hair-out-women-large.jpg
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Like I said I want a degree in Illustration/Cartooning so I can:

do my comics
intern
get a job

I haven't been in school in over a decade. I was asking myself am I too old to go back to school, but then I said to myself, what's 4 years? Not everyone can afford to go back to school right after getting their first degree.

I still have to take care of issues with student loans before I can go back to school.

FIXED
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:18 pm
@firefly,
What are you talking about? I want to KNOW NOW when I am ready to go back- why am I going to wait till the last minute?

What does student loan issues have to do with preparing to return to school?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 01:55 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

If you are nowhere near ready to return to school, because of your previous student loan obligations, why are you worrying about what kind of transcript you need to submit with your application?

Again what does financial aid have to do with transcripts?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:59 pm
@firefly,
You don't think I am TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF STUDENT LOANS? NOT THAT THAT IS ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS, I AM. YOU ARE AN IDIOT.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:46 pm
DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT TRANSCRIPTS?
solipsister

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 11:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

Yes. A transcript is a record of your achievements which can be obtained by corresponding with the institutions which you attended.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 02:37 am
@solipsister,
I don't need one- I would only need one if I had previously attended OTHER colleges OTHER than the one I want to go back to.
solipsister

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 04:36 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

Quote:
I don't need one-

I missed you, welcome back.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:09 am
@solipsister,
Yeah, thank you. Let's please keep this between us.
djjd62

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 09:11 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Yeah, thank you. Let's please keep this between us.

ummmm, you do realize this is a public forum
0 Replies