Does time exist?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 12:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Cat does n´t need to think "word space" it only needs to know enough to move through it...space is that in which it moves...
maxdancona

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 12:33 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Cat does n´t need to think "word space" it only needs to know enough to move through it...space is that in which it moves...

No, cats don't move in space. They move in time (changes in space are incidental and they cat doesn't even notice).
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 12:36 pm
@maxdancona,
what what ???
On the opposite...cats mostly only have a sense on the present moment, but is in space that they measure the distances between objects in order to choose a path convenient to they whereabouts...
JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:29 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I asked my cat how he thinks of and uses time and he just walked away. He's really into zen.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 02:17 pm
@JLNobody,
This is where the thumbs up function of a2k really falls short. Laughing
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 06:07 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
On the opposite...cats mostly only have a sense on the present moment, but is in space that they measure the distances between objects in order to choose a path convenient to they whereabouts...

Cats only have a sense on their present location. But, in time they measure the duration between events in order to choose a path convenient to their present moment.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:33 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I don't believe space exists. Do you think a cat has any sense of space?

Space does not exist, and time does not exist, but each can be understood in terms of the other, and between them all things can at some point and time be located... It is not hard and fast, and it is possible to believe that eached can be warped, and that there is such a thing as space/time... But, no; space does not exist, but without the existence of matter in space we would not be, and if we could not conceive of space and time we would not be conscious...
Fido

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:40 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

It does not need to be conscious of it to move in it... You do not need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows, but without a measuring tape or rod, space as a comparative element in our lives would not be what it is... We need to see all space in terms of another element, something solid, but that is innacurate and arbitrary... Like the weather, we need enough information to calculate, and having that, we think we can say space exists, but we exist in space, and space is nothing...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:42 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

No, cats don't move in space. They move in time (changes in space are incidental and they cat doesn't even notice).

False... A moving cat moves in both time and space or we could never say where he was... Even when a cat is still he moves in time, or rather time moves and he stays, which allows us to say when he stays, and when he moves as well as where he is and where he moves to...
maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:43 pm
@Fido,
We agree that space does not exist. Of course, this means that matter doesn't exist. And of course this means that you don't exist which means you don't have any conception of space and time.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 8 May, 2011 04:44 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
False... A moving cat moves in both time and space or we could never say where he was.

This is only true if he is being observed. Since you have already proven that no one exists, this is rather a moot point.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 06:06 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

No...relation is how we make sense of time...space alone without any form of relation is and means nothing !
You are confusing two things here... One is being, and the other is consciousness... A cat may know it is time to eat, or time to hunt, or time to sleep without being conscious of time... A cat may also be able to catch a mouse in a cetain place without being conscious of that place as a space in relation to other spaces... Consider the metaphysical argument for knowledge as advanced by Plato in the Socratic dialogue.... It was possible to prove that the slave knew something he did not know that he knew, something he had never consciously learned, but that given an opportunity, he could apply to reality and learn still more...We all know more than we think, and we all might know more with the application of thought to what is thought to be known.... Without time, place, and cause and effect nothing in our lives can make sense or be related to others... These notions with identity, which is usually called conservation, are predicates to all other knowledge...
0 Replies

TheEnlightenedOne

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 11:30 pm
@G H,
In and out, whoosh, empty, ohmmm, sorry, lost my place in space, what time is it?
0 Replies

TheEnlightenedOne

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2011 11:39 pm
@TheEnlightenedOne,
The cat would probably say instinctively without premeditated thought, chi-lax, take it easy cat, 'cause I got cat class and I got cat style, meow.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 05:30 am
@TheEnlightenedOne,
TheEnlightenedOne wrote:

If a cat could talk and was asked what time is it, what would he/she reply?

According to Wittgenstein, we wouldn't be able to understand him/her. But what does this have to do with time?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:00 pm
If by the question you refer to a temporal EXPERIENCE, the answer is obviously in the affirmative: I can assure you that I experience events as if they occured in the contest of "time." But I don't think that time has an objective existence if by that you refer to God's Clock.
Unless we agree that subjective reality is an objective fact.
thack45

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 02:59 pm
@JLNobody,
Easy, easy. You don't want to piss off the fourth dimension. Shocked

I don't recall if I've brought this up before, but how's come no one ever asks if width is real? Or length or speed or pi?
Ding an Sich

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:46 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

Easy, easy. You don't want to piss off the fourth dimension. Shocked

I don't recall if I've brought this up before, but how's come no one ever asks if width is real? Or length or speed or pi?

Because most people assume that time and space are fundamental in our understanding of what length, speed, and width are. Kant would make the claim that space covers all of the concepts in geometry, that is, it is a priori to them, and hence necessary as well.

So we go back to the beginning. Now Einstein, on the other hand, would say that you understand matter (material) before you understand space and time; but this is for another day.
thack45

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:43 pm
@Ding an Sich,
What would you say is fundamental in our understanding of what time is?
fresco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 01:52 am
@TheEnlightenedOne,
That word "existence" is always the issue which is avoided in the countless questions of the form "Does X exist ?".

Choose one or more of the following concepts of "existence", or add your own to the list.

(1) X exists because it has materiality
(2) X exists because it is a useful concept.
(3) X exists because it is in relationship to Y.
(4) X exists because it was created by Y
(5) X exists only experientially in the minds of sentient beings.
(6) X exists because we can talk about it.

0 Replies